Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 842441

Replies : 6338

Users Viewing This Thread : Othen, Steve 940

Old Oct 24th, 2022, 13:14   #2601
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
I’m finding it hard to believe that a potential buyer of a 240 would not be on this forum and aware of the opinions on here.
I’m not saying they don’t have the right to ignore everyone, of course they have, it’s just that they’ve been quiet.

Hey-ho!🤔
A valid point Andrew but there is a sector of society that as a generalisation could be termed technophobes and don't have computers, even if they did they wouldn't use the various car fora or any other type and mostly don't know how to turn a computer on.

That is in no way a reflection of their intellect, it's mainly because they don't want to. For those reasons, those people would never be on here at all and oddly, would unlikely to be on ebay either.

That said, they may have relatives/friends that do use ebay and have expressed a desire to own another (or maybe their first) 240 and said relly/fiend has found one and they've basically said "i don't want a cheap old banger, i want to spend some money and get a good one."

With that in mind, overpriced cars are going to be the order of the day and utimately will sell to someone like that. It's down to common sense, if you're considering a car and you know little or nothing about said car, find a forum and investigate the foibles of the potential purchase.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 13:22   #2602
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I’m finding it hard to believe that a potential buyer of a 240 would not be on this forum and aware of the opinions on here.
I’m not saying they don’t have the right to ignore everyone, of course they have, it’s just that they’ve been quiet.

Hey-ho!🤔
I would tend to agree Andrew. For the previous (obviously shill bid) auction there were 17 bids from 9 different bidders, this time there are already 12 bids from 8 bidders, even if some of the bidders overlap, it is hard to believe quite a number of them wouldn't use this forum to do some research. In short: I agree with you Andrew.

You are right that we may be surrounded by potential buyers that have chosen to ignore the comment and keep quiet - in which case: caveat emptor.

Ho hum :-)
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 13:24   #2603
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
A valid point Andrew but there is a sector of society that as a generalisation could be termed technophobes and don't have computers, even if they did they wouldn't use the various car fora or any other type and mostly don't know how to turn a computer on.

That is in no way a reflection of their intellect, it's mainly because they don't want to. For those reasons, those people would never be on here at all and oddly, would unlikely to be on ebay either.

That said, they may have relatives/friends that do use ebay and have expressed a desire to own another (or maybe their first) 240 and said relly/fiend has found one and they've basically said "i don't want a cheap old banger, i want to spend some money and get a good one."

With that in mind, overpriced cars are going to be the order of the day and utimately will sell to someone like that. It's down to common sense, if you're considering a car and you know little or nothing about said car, find a forum and investigate the foibles of the potential purchase.

Well to contradict myself, I fit partially into the bracket you described. Overpriced, is what others think, what I paid, is ok , ok because I’m happy with it! ( If you see what I’m getting at).

I’d rather pay more for what I want, rather than miss a good motor because all my peers think it’s too dear.

Life’s too short!
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 13:27   #2604
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

I read what you say Dave - but have a look at my last post above: do we really believe there are 8 or 9 people that are looking for a 30 year old Volvo 240 with no MoT that aren't technology savvy enough to read this forum, but are competent enough to be looking at their eBay account late on a Sunday eve? If that isn't the case then do we believe those same 8 or 9 folk each have a very well meaning friend or relative that is scanning eBay late on a Sunday eve and just happen to chance upon a Volvo 240 with no MoT that they are willing to bid on?

I see your point Dave...

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Oct 24th, 2022 at 13:29. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 13:31   #2605
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I would tend to agree Andrew. For the previous (obviously shill bid) auction there were 17 bids from 9 different bidders, this time there are already 12 bids from 8 bidders, even if some of the bidders overlap, it is hard to believe quite a number of them wouldn't use this forum to do some research. In short: I agree with you Andrew.

You are right that we may be surrounded by potential buyers that have chosen to ignore the comment and keep quiet - in which case: caveat emptor.

Ho hum :-)
I’m flip-flopping like a Tory candidate.

I wish I could be less analytical!

I’d better have my estrogen levels checked!
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 14:21   #2606
360beast
Go redblock or go home

If a younger person is bidding on it then they probably aren't on the forum and will be on Facebook groups where the younger generation are prepared to pay more for an old Volvo... Not £3100 for one with no MOT mind you.
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 15:20   #2607
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
If a younger person is bidding on it then they probably aren't on the forum and will be on Facebook groups where the younger generation are prepared to pay more for an old Volvo... Not £3100 for one with no MOT mind you.
Good theories chaps - perhaps the 8 current bidders for a 30 year old Volvo with no MoT are a mixture of old folk unable to use this forum (but with eBay accounts), well meaning friends and family of those old folk all bidding to buy cousin Jethro a surprise motor car with no MoT, and finally youngsters on a Volvo Facebook page who then log in to their eBay accounts to use the wages from their apprenticeship or their student loan to buy an old Volvo without a MoT.

These are all good theories, but mine is the seller is using a few spare eBay accounts, and perhaps those of some family members and colleagues to place phantom bids and so drive up the price. I could be completely wrong of course.

Old Oct 24th, 2022, 15:41   #2608
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Good theories chaps - perhaps the 8 current bidders for a 30 year old Volvo with no MoT are a mixture of old folk unable to use this forum (but with eBay accounts), well meaning friends and family of those old folk all bidding to buy cousin Jethro a surprise motor car with no MoT, and finally youngsters on a Volvo Facebook page who then log in to their eBay accounts to use the wages from their apprenticeship or their student loan to buy an old Volvo without a MoT.

These are all good theories, but mine is the seller is using a few spare eBay accounts, and perhaps those of some family members and colleagues to place phantom bids and so drive up the price. I could be completely wrong of course.

There’s a Tory MP with less to do this week than she planned, it could be her!🤫
Old Oct 24th, 2022, 15:52   #2609
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
There’s a Tory MP with less to do this week than she planned, it could be her!🤫
Let's not us stray into politics Andrew - otherwise someone might suggest it is one of the 196 opposition party MPs that have had nothing to do since 2010.

Old Oct 24th, 2022, 16:05   #2610
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Let's not us stray into politics Andrew - otherwise someone might suggest it is one of the 196 opposition party MPs that have had nothing to do since 2010.

The very thought of it, you’re right!🤫