Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 842225

Replies : 6338

Users Viewing This Thread : Steve 940

Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 15:56   #1641
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
To be honest Alan, you'd be better getting a 1987-on (1988MY or newer) 740 if that was what took your fancy and waiting the extra couple of years for Historic status. Not only were the engines revamped in ~1986 but trim imrpovements and other things were improved also so worth getting a slightly later one.
I'm not going to buy a 740 Dave, but I'd have to disagree about that point from the viewpoint of a hobby car. Most people (all those except the very wealthy) would have to justify a hobby car as not being too expensive - after all it will probably be a third or fourth family car and won't be earning its keep like the others.

Paying tax and for a MoT test for an additional 3 years would cost about a grand. Once a motor car reaches 41 years old it will appreciate by the historic vehicle premium (by between 50 and 100%) quite quickly. So, that 1984 740 that one might buy for £2,500 today might be worth something like £4-5,000 in 2025. If someone has to convince an 'other half' that it is a really good idea to run a third or fourth vehicle as a hobby car that is quite a compelling argument - 'in only 3 years I'll double our money, Dear'.

I didn't have anyone else to convince (Bob doesn't count, Dan doesn't mind as long as we keep the Porsche), but that was exactly my argument (to myself) when I bought the RB nearly 3 years ago. It was still reasonably priced then but soon qualified as an historic vehicle and so it today worth quite a lot more. It has been an enormously satisfying project - that must be about the best way of running a hobby car: fun and appreciates in value.

:-)

Last edited by Othen; Apr 22nd, 2022 at 15:57. Reason: Grammar.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 16:49   #1642
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
I'm not going to buy a 740 Dave, but I'd have to disagree about that point from the viewpoint of a hobby car. Most people (all those except the very wealthy) would have to justify a hobby car as not being too expensive - after all it will probably be a third or fourth family car and won't be earning its keep like the others.

Paying tax and for a MoT test for an additional 3 years would cost about a grand. Once a motor car reaches 41 years old it will appreciate by the historic vehicle premium (by between 50 and 100%) quite quickly. So, that 1984 740 that one might buy for £2,500 today might be worth something like £4-5,000 in 2025. If someone has to convince an 'other half' that it is a really good idea to run a third or fourth vehicle as a hobby car that is quite a compelling argument - 'in only 3 years I'll double our money, Dear'.

I didn't have anyone else to convince (Bob doesn't count, Dan doesn't mind as long as we keep the Porsche), but that was exactly my argument (to myself) when I bought the RB nearly 3 years ago. It was still reasonably priced then but soon qualified as an historic vehicle and so it today worth quite a lot more. It has been an enormously satisfying project - that must be about the best way of running a hobby car: fun and appreciates in value.

For me,the money is secondary. My 240 costs £470 just sitting there, stuff all. Not even a packet of fags a week. 3000 miles a year . I doubt it.25 mpg, at least, 120 gallons of fuel, £1200. £25 a week.

I’ve over estimated everything. A football season ticket and travel to away matches, possibly more expensive AND , the 240 is a go to car when t’other is out of commission.

Plus I love it.🥰😍🥰😍

P.S. I’ve had another look at that 740, I’d buy it, it’s an ok gamble.👍🧐

Last edited by Moomoo; Apr 22nd, 2022 at 17:13.
Moomoo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 19:11   #1643
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

Well that 1987 745GL is currently at £2550 (gone up while i was typing so may be more soon) and i get what you're saying about the justification but it would honestly be worth the wait - there was something in what you said earlier made me think you might be considering a 740 at some point, hence my comment about waiting and buying a newer one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
For me,the money is secondary. My 240 costs £470 just sitting there, stuff all. Not even a packet of fags a week. 3000 miles a year . I doubt it.25 mpg, at least, 120 gallons of fuel, £1200. £25 a week.

I’ve over estimated everything. A football season ticket and travel to away matches, possibly more expensive AND , the 240 is a go to car when t’other is out of commission.

Plus I love it.🥰😍🥰😍

P.S. I’ve had another look at that 740, I’d buy it, it’s an ok gamble.👍🧐
Here's another worth a look Andrew, especially if you don't need an estate :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275276721664

Rare when new because everyone bought the estate, it's now very rare and a little more classy in many ways than the estate because it is a saloon. Looks very nice and a better option IMHO than the estate we're currently talking about because it is K-Jetronic (mechanical) injection and the GLE but has the rarer velour interior.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 19:29   #1644
Moomoo
VOC Member

Well now we know,£2760. Not a bad price, either way. 👍

Hope the buyer turns up on here, I’d like to hear more. 🤔😀
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 20:24   #1645
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:

I suspect the seller hopes the buyer will turn up on his doorstep first Andrew!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 20:27   #1646
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
The example of a745 you highlighted is a bit of a peach, good job I’ve nowhere to put it!
I had D616TFR, its twin, loved it
It’ll be a great entry to Volvo ownership for someone.

£2750ish?🤔
Quote:

You were spot on Andrew.

Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 20:47   #1647
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
I suspect the seller hopes the buyer will turn up on his doorstep first Andrew!
Aye, first things first. 😂

The corpulent diva hasn’t warbled yet!
!
Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 20:47   #1648
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
You were spot on Andrew.

He was indeed and even stretching the upper limit of my guess, i was still 10% low.

Old Apr 22nd, 2022, 20:48   #1649
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
You were spot on Andrew.

More by luck than owt else, I fancy!🤔👍
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 24th, 2022, 21:02   #1650
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
I'm guessing that either the top bidder didn't show up or the seller got caught out shill bidding Andrew:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154953120...wAAOSwdeRiSe-l

... either way it is going through the strainer again - and will give us another view of the bottom of the market.

Alan
That motor car made £620 this time.