Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 842787

Replies : 6340

Users Viewing This Thread : Othen, Steve 940

Old Jan 6th, 2022, 06:37   #1501
Othen
Premier Member

Default MoT Exemption

Regular readers will know my views on MoT exemption for 40 year old vehicles: that is I will get my older vehicles tested when the law requires me to, in the meantime I will absolutely comply with the law.

Here is the Government Response to Consultation to the Exempting Vehicles of Historical Interest from Roadworthiness Testing:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...worthiness.pdf

As I recall mentioning previously, this was in response to an EU directive (EU Directive 2014/45/EU), so we may thank our former friends for initiating this one. Now that we have left the EU we could of course rescind the legislation, and if that happens I will start getting my vehicles of historical interest tested according to whatever scheme the government directs.

The issue of exemption from VED is a separate one (in terms of the law). I am pleased that the government excuses my from paying tax on my older vehicles, and I think that is reasonable to encourage vehicles of historical interest. I don't think there is any case for a government to rescind that arrangement retrospectively (and it didn't the last time this changed, the pre-1973 vehicles already granted tax exemption were allowed to keep it when it was abolished in 1997) but I do think there is a weak case for continuing to roll it forward. I can see little merit in 1990s motor cars being considered vehicles of historical interest (in a decade's time), so perhaps that avenue should be closed off.

Just my personal views, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Jan 6th, 2022 at 07:23. Reason: Spelling error.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 09:44   #1502
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
It’s only emissions that need to be relaxed for older motors, my old Landy would not have passed, if checked. Everything else ,OK.
The same is true of most toff’s 41/2 litre Bentleys.

Not that that has any baring at all.🤭
To get a 4 1/2 running smoothly (a relative term in this isntance) you make them run rich!
360beast is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 09:44   #1503
Dippydog
Premier Member

I'm not trying to make the case for or against cars of the '90's becoming "of historic interest" but surely the case for them becoming so is much the same as it is now for cars of the '70's/'80's or even earlier in that they are cars their parents had/they owned when younger and hanker after another one/always fancied when new but couldn't afford to buy/run back then? I'm talking here of the ordinary everyday cars not the exotica bought more as an investment.
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 10:04   #1504
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Regular readers will know my views on MoT exemption for 40 year old vehicles: that is I will get my older vehicles tested when the law requires me to, in the meantime I will absolutely comply with the law.

Here is the Government Response to Consultation to the Exempting Vehicles of Historical Interest from Roadworthiness Testing:

https://assets.publishing.service.go...worthiness.pdf

As I recall mentioning previously, this was in response to an EU directive (EU Directive 2014/45/EU), so we may thank our former friends for initiating this one. Now that we have left the EU we could of course rescind the legislation, and if that happens I will start getting my vehicles of historical interest tested according to whatever scheme the government directs.

The issue of exemption from VED is a separate one (in terms of the law). I am pleased that the government excuses my from paying tax on my older vehicles, and I think that is reasonable to encourage vehicles of historical interest. I don't think there is any case for a government to rescind that arrangement retrospectively (and it didn't the last time this changed, the pre-1973 vehicles already granted tax exemption were allowed to keep it when it was abolished in 1997) but I do think there is a weak case for continuing to roll it forward. I can see little merit in 1990s motor cars being considered vehicles of historical interest (in a decade's time), so perhaps that avenue should be closed off.

Just my personal views, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.

Alan
You're one of the few exceptions that proves the rule Alan, the problem is many other people assume (wrongly) that because it's 40+ years old and no longer has to submit for annual tests those things no longer wear out, corrode or otherwise become unroadworthy.

As for 1990s cars never being eligible for Historic status, imagine for a moment we are in 2002 instead of 2022. Would you say the same about 1970s cars in that case? That would completely eliminate the RB from ever becoming Historic if so.
However i do take your point that most 1990s-on cars aren't that interesting and (presently at least) not really worth saving. We said the same 20 years ago about 1970s cars though.

I think this is something that is difficult for many people to agree on and even many insurers are still undecided about what constitutes a classic in 1990s cars.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 12:53   #1505
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippydog View Post
I'm not trying to make the case for or against cars of the '90's becoming "of historic interest" but surely the case for them becoming so is much the same as it is now for cars of the '70's/'80's or even earlier in that they are cars their parents had/they owned when younger and hanker after another one/always fancied when new but couldn't afford to buy/run back then? I'm talking here of the ordinary everyday cars not the exotica bought more as an investment.
A friend of mine had many vintage vehicles that he used to show. Steam stuff and Organs.
He sold the lot 20 odd years ago because much of it was no longer relevant to the people walking around the show ground. They want to see , as
DD said, dad had, uncle had, grandpa had.
You only have to look at pre- war car prices. Self explanatory!🙁
Moomoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 13:20   #1506
Othen
Premier Member

... I've just bought another one chaps:

... I'm pleased to say it has not been MoT tested since 2016.

:-)
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 13:31   #1507
Lucien
VOC Member

Congratulations! Now that is definitely a classic!

Regards
Lucien
Lucien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lucien For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 14:01   #1508
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
A friend of mine had many vintage vehicles that he used to show. Steam stuff and Organs.
He sold the lot 20 odd years ago because much of it was no longer relevant to the people walking around the show ground. They want to see , as
DD said, dad had, uncle had, grandpa had.
You only have to look at pre- war car prices. Self explanatory!🙁
Fairly locally to me Andrew there is an annual steam rally and classic car show. I've not been for several years mainly because it is so packed there. However i do know many steam vehicles attend and classics from all eras.

However there will always be the grandad/dad/uncle had a xxxxx when i was a kid so i want one too or at least to look at some. As such the generational thing of the "trending" vehicles at various shows will always be there, as will the genuine interst in the older forms of transport and machinery.

The one i've always been confused by is the stationary engine - granted it is a stand-alone power unit capable of many things and i do know of someone on the forum who has one (a converted lawnmower to provide battery charging, jump-starting and also lighting to a point) so there is a raison d'etre for them still.

All that said, it's really down to individuals and what they like to see at the various fairs, rallys etc. and that will also drive the classic car, steam and related markets. Many people have lost interest in pre-war cars because there are so few left now that the market is more or less dead so the price has gone down. Similar exists in early 90s cars - when did you last see an early 90s Sierra, Cavalier, Astra etc for example? Rare as a hens dentist now!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 14:48   #1509
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
... I've just bought another one chaps:

... I'm pleased to say it has not been MoT tested since 2016.

:-)
My word that’s beautiful.

A rare red little starlet!❤️
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 6th, 2022, 14:59   #1510
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Fairly locally to me Andrew there is an annual steam rally and classic car show. I've not been for several years mainly because it is so packed there. However i do know many steam vehicles attend and classics from all eras.

However there will always be the grandad/dad/uncle had a xxxxx when i was a kid so i want one too or at least to look at some. As such the generational thing of the "trending" vehicles at various shows will always be there, as will the genuine interst in the older forms of transport and machinery.

The one i've always been confused by is the stationary engine - granted it is a stand-alone power unit capable of many things and i do know of someone on the forum who has one (a converted lawnmower to provide battery charging, jump-starting and also lighting to a point) so there is a raison d'etre for them still.

All that said, it's really down to individuals and what they like to see at the various fairs, rallys etc. and that will also drive the classic car, steam and related markets. Many people have lost interest in pre-war cars because there are so few left now that the market is more or less dead so the price has gone down. Similar exists in early 90s cars - when did you last see an early 90s Sierra, Cavalier, Astra etc for example? Rare as a hens dentist now!
I wasn’t suggesting steam rallies are now passé ,I was merely reporting my friend’s experience that people APPEARED less interested in the items he took for display .
The dad had, stuff , according to him had become more popular.

I suspect the older stuff has been seen many times over the decades.

Last edited by Moomoo; Jan 6th, 2022 at 15:02.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moomoo For This Useful Post: