Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

insurance deals

Views : 7372

Replies : 70

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 14:38   #61
Frostbite
S60 S 2.0T Auto (Sep2003)

I have the same problem Roger, would be great to find out how we can get around this or find a willing insurer.
Frostbite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 17:44   #62
st5ve
S60 R

I may have 3 cars after this weekend looking at a 850 R. I have full no claims that I use on my modified 850 T5, because I have good insurance history for my second car they gave me the equivalant of 9yrs no claims, for my third car they gave a discount but in total I pay around £900 for all the cars 1 is modified to 280 bhp est, the other is group 16 and the R is group 17, give A-Plan a call they are very good especialy if you are a club member.
st5ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 21:58   #63
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Insurance

Well, as of this afternoon: -

745 GLT 16V (1991) on Norwich Union via Swinton - £223 (+ some extras = £267). Protected Max NCD and business use. Once I have the new one on the road she will go to the redblock Guru (Hi, Mr Slater, you didn't know that yet did you...) for some stuff, bank manager willing.

765 Turbo (1989) on Highway (yecch!) via A-plan - £269.90 (inc business use, NCD matching. I've had Highway before. Get everything in writing, put everything in writing, they will scam you if they can. I'll collect the car tomorrow. She will go straight in for the crankcase breather, then go into use.

765 B280E (1987) not covered, I'll have to figure out how to get it home from the garage pending selling (probably book a new MoT test at the garage next door to my house) not bovvered about the risk of damaging the car since it is worth less than the others. Then I can sorn her. Windowcleaner might give me something for her, he has expressed an interest....
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23rd, 2007, 22:04   #64
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Oh, and another thing

Norwich Union Direct told me you can have more than one car on the same policy. I might need to do a bit more digging on that.

If I can find a way to avoid needing business use, then I might be able to get some useful deals by going over to collector's insurances (maybe with agreed value policies to avoid the dreaded "ber") - but the best quote so far would allow me to drive to one station for commuting, but not to drive to another place to work (!) and was still not a lot better than the premia above.

Incidentally, the excess on Highway is stupid so I will be looking to rationalise in Norwich Union as soon as possible. Life will be easier in 6 months time when my points drop off.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2007, 13:14   #65
GrahamK

I have my V40 on temporary cover for the next couple of weeks so I'm getting some quotes for annual cover when I renew. Best I'd had until now was More Than who quoted me £365 with a £250 x/s.

So I rang A-Plan who came back with an unexpectedly high £458 (about what the AA quoted) I checked the details and that was with a £100 x/s, by increasing the x/s to £250 though to match More Than it came down dramatically to £335.

Both the A-Plan quotes also included Class 1 Business and I'm pretty sure the More Than quote didn't for some reason.

More Than are changing some of their benefits on 6th Jan, I think they'll be offering a one month discount amongst other things, so I'll ring back to get another quote from them after the 6th before committing myself to A-Plan.

Actually I just tried Chris Knott and they offered £319.99 for identical cover, so it looks as though they may have my business instead, unless one of the others fancies undercutting them...

Last edited by GrahamK; Dec 28th, 2007 at 13:39. Reason: Got another quote!
GrahamK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 20:15   #66
GrahamK

Still shopping around for a better quote and I found one! Norwich Union came in at £296, £24 cheaper than Chris Knott for identical cover apart from the excess, which is less! Oh, and I can claim £25 cashback too, not sure how that works?
GrahamK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6th, 2008, 20:56   #67
craig8661
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davey wren View Post
i've got a traders policy and paying £650 fully comp. i'm 29 and have 4 cars on the policy. s70 t5, v8 range rover, ford transit and an old xr4i track car. i'm covered to drive any car but if i plan to use a car for more than 14 days i just need to email them the details and they add it on. its great but i find i'm more inclined to carry on buying cars and hold onto them rather than sell them on!

who do you use for the insurance can you pm me the info to save me keep trying to find this thred

NOTICE OF DISCLAIMER any information i give is soley on my own findings and mess ups
craig8661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8th, 2008, 00:44   #68
niloc
SWV Benefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig8661 View Post
save me keep trying to find this thred
Ahem - Top of page - "Thread Tools" - "Subscribe to this thread"...
Old Jan 9th, 2008, 21:05   #69
stusT5
850 t5 and r owner

halifax came out cheapest on my 2.5 na 850 greenlight for the modded t5
Old Jan 11th, 2008, 15:46   #70
malcolmk
VOC Member

sorry, have to stick up for highway a bit, as a broker ive been dealing with them since the Leadenhall days for 24 years , any mistakes are normally the brokers fault and the insurance company either do the broker a favour and continue with the quote or stick to what theve told before when this happens then there is a problem,by he way i didnt charge any admin to my self and gave legal fees free and comprehensive for wife and me , left on the road at night inc buisness use £136.50p oh how sweat to be able to work out my own quote !and that `s with highway , vehicle V70turbo
malcolmk is offline   Reply With Quote