Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Oil pressure light?

Views : 687

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 24th, 2003, 11:36   #1
liuleichan
Premier Member

Default Oil pressure light?

I've noticed in recent weeks that the oil pressure light seems to stay lit a fraction longer. I don't mean for any duration, just seems to be lit a beat longer when starting the car, first thing in the morning.

It is only a marginal thing, but it's not just been when it's been colder this week. Just enough of a slight delay to just register.

It only tends to be first thing - ie when the car is cold. When the car is started warm, it's definitely not noticable.

The car has always started very quickly, in any condition (cold or warm), doesn't need any cranking, and fires very quickly. It has oil changes every 5k miles (every 2-3 months), and I keep my eye on the oil level, so it's not low on oil. The engine idles well and smoothly, is never rough, is quite, and the fuel economy is about right with what it should be getting.

It never comes on when the engine is running - and it is only a very marginal thing, just something I've noticed of late.

I have noticed, that since cleaning out the flame trap tubing just after the last oil change (the flame trap itself, must have been removed some time in the past - there was no actual trap in the piping - when cleaning it wasn't blocked, or particular gunged up, but I did get some gunk out of there) that I've only needed to add a small amount of oil (maybe a quarter of a litre) this period, and it's having an oil change tomorrow.

In the previous period (ie before cleaning the flame trap piping), I did find I had to add a little more oil than normal - although not any worrying amounts. Before that, I don't recall having to add much oil, at all - possibly none, but I do tend to have the oil changed frequently (every 5k miles) and drive mainly motorway miles.

The car has 140k miles on the clock, and I treat the engine with respect whilst it's warming up.

Any thoughts?

Anything I should mention when it goes in for an oil change tomorrow?

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2003, 15:29   #2
Chris139

Default RE: Oil pressure light?

Hello Lei Chan,

I suspect this is down to the cold weather affecting the viscosity of the oil. Although with modern multigrade oils I wouldn't have thought you'd seen a difference in our climate. Has it been any better since the oil change ?

Do you ever hear the tappets ticking when starting up for the first time after it's been left for a couple of days. I can if the window's is down in the garage when I startup. Haynes says that after an engine rebuild this can continue for up to 15 minutes while the oil circulates, but not to exceed 3000rpm (I think these figures are correct but don't have a manual to hand).

Regards,

Chris

Previous:-
2000 S80 2.4 (170bhp) auto
1998 V70 2.5 (170bhp) auto
Chris139 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27th, 2003, 09:55   #3
liuleichan
Premier Member

>Hello Lei Chan,
>
>I suspect this is down to the cold weather affecting the
>viscosity of the oil.

I did wonder about this, as it has got progressively colder over the last few weeks. Having said that, it wasn't only evident on the coldest week.

>Although with modern multigrade oils I
>wouldn't have thought you'd seen a difference in our climate.
>Has it been any better since the oil change ?

Well it was parked up from around early afternoon on Saturday, 'til around 8 this morning, and I did notice it briefly when I started it. But the only mileage it had on it since the oil change was simply driving back from the garage.

I did mention it to them when it went in - they said they could see anything obviously wrong - it wasn't actually noticable on the morning of going in for the oil change - and it only tends to be noticable on the first start of the day, anyways.

>Do you ever hear the tappets ticking when starting up for the
>first time after it's been left for a couple of days.

No, I can't say as I do, to be honest.

I've always driving it fairly gently until the engine / oil gets warm, and it gets two 50 odd mile runs every weekday on the motorway. But I've never noticed any tappet noise - the engine runs very sweetly, idles very smoothly, is quiet, and always fires immediately (warm or cold).

>I can
>if the window's is down in the garage when I startup. Haynes
>says that after an engine rebuild this can continue for up to
>15 minutes while the oil circulates, but not to exceed 3000rpm
>(I think these figures are correct but don't have a manual to
>hand).

It's an auto, and I only drive about 5-10 minutes before getting to the motorway, in the morning. So until I've been running on the motorway for a few minutes, I keep the revs no higher than 3k (not always easy, when you're going on a motorway, and driving an auto - requires some restraint, sometimes ;-)

Thanks for the comments.

Lei Chan
liuleichan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29th, 2003, 07:51   #4
Chris139

Hi Lei Chan,

Any better now the weather is warmer (and wetter !)

Cheers,

Chris

Previous:-
2000 S80 2.4 (170bhp) auto
1998 V70 2.5 (170bhp) auto
Chris139 is offline   Reply With Quote