Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2005 V50 2.0D cut out at 1/4 tank?

Views : 1119

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 13th, 2017, 13:06   #1
Oakers03

Unhappy 2005 V50 2.0D cut out at 1/4 tank?

Hi Guys,

Been trawling the interweb for my issue so thought I'd ask people who may have a clue! My V50 cuts out as though is it starved of fuel at around 1/4 tank... happened about 5 times now so I'm rarely letting it go below 1/2 tank which as you imagine it is frustrating when I am only getting 33miles/gal (Another issue that needs addressing).

The high pressure fuel pump was replaced by a second hand one around 8 months ago and I dropped the fuel tank out to have a look for any debree, and the condition of the fuel sender. Fuel tank was fine with no signs of water and the fuel sender unit measured perfect for resistance, along with being squeeky clean. Fully serviced a month ago by myself with all new filters.

Unfortunately upon dropping out the tank, the tube from the fuel sender got caught and snapped the nozzle off that takes the fuel from the tank to the pump... repaired it with super glue and 2 part epoxy but on putting it back together this morning but it looks as though the repair job failed with the engine struggling to start... though i did let the fuel run as low as possible before dropping the tank out so 10 more litres of fuel may solve the problem (which still leaves the original problem).

Got a sender unit from ebay coming this week to make it a proper repair but may aswell top it with diesel and see if it is just starved again.

Any help on this would do me the world of good, this car has caused me nothing but issues wince owning it, to the point that I can't imagine anything else going wrong!
Oakers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 14:06   #2
Bloders2

i dont understand your question.
you have posted a question, and then it appears you have answered it yourself, reasonable fully??
its the fuel pickup not extending to teh bottom of the tank!
Bloders2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bloders2 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 14:20   #3
Bendolfc
Premier Member

These engines don't have a self priming pump so if it actually does run out, it won't start without adding a hand pump and priming. Instead the software gives the effect of being empty when it isn't. Might be worth disconnecting the battery for a few mins and reconnecting - might recalibrate some sensors.
Bendolfc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bendolfc For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 14:21   #4
Oakers03

Thanks for your reply!

That would make sense, though it seemed to be fully functioning when I had it out yesterday. Will compare it to the one I have coming this week but surely there is no real way of seeing if it does reach the bottom of the tank is there? Also, I expected there to be some sort of gauze or filter on the bottom of the sender unit but there didn't appear to be anything? Is this really correct for this component?
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 14:25   #5
Oakers03

Bendolfc, I have installed a hand priming pump from my fuel filter to the high pressure pump for this reason. The engine started after putting it back together and ran for about 15 seconds before cutting out. It then fired up a few more times before my battery went flat (even with a booster on) while priming then starting, priming and starting. I will add 10 litres later and get a full charged booster on it and it may well work.
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 18:36   #6
x DTR x
Premier Member

My 2005 V50 runs out of fuel when it gets to just under quarter of a tank. But when i put about 30 litres in, it shows a full tank! Something not right there if anyone can explain that?

2005 V50 2.0 SE Sport
1999 S40 1.8 Gdi
1993 460 1.7 LX
x DTR x is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to x DTR x For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 13th, 2017, 21:34   #7
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x DTR x View Post
My 2005 V50 runs out of fuel when it gets to just under quarter of a tank. But when i put about 30 litres in, it shows a full tank! Something not right there if anyone can explain that?
You have a faulty sender unit.
Old Mar 14th, 2017, 12:31   #8
Oakers03

Exactly the same as my issue! Still 17 litres in the tank atleast!! New sender unit here this week so hopefully wil sort the problem. No idea how a faulty sender unit would have that effect though as I was still able to suck the diesel through which tells me the sender unit is still in the diesel and therefore should still deliver the fuel
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 08:00   #9
Oakers03

UPDATE

Replaced the fuel sender unit and all seems to be solved. Ran it doen to 20 miles remaining and its all good. Must have been a crack somewhere letting air in or a dodgey connection that was rectified on the refit.

Cheers all
Old Mar 28th, 2017, 09:35   #10
Bungo
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakers03 View Post
UPDATE

Replaced the fuel sender unit and all seems to be solved. Ran it doen to 20 miles remaining and its all good. Must have been a crack somewhere letting air in or a dodgey connection that was rectified on the refit.

Cheers all
Nothing to do with cracks and air or dodgy connections. It's just a worn out variable resistor contact, which is integral of the sender unit, a common fault on sender units in general.
Happy to hear it's all sorted

Last edited by Bungo; Mar 28th, 2017 at 09:37.
Bungo is offline   Reply With Quote