Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

MY2018 cars

Views : 42616

Replies : 460

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 9th, 2017, 17:50   #421
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexman8 View Post
At some point last year (I think it was with the introduction of MY17 around about May) Volvo changed the screen to a more scratch resistant one and stopped supplying a screen protector as standard.

I have the newer screen but still fitted a non-reflective screen protector which in addition to ensuring no screen scratches also minimises reflections and fingerprints. I only have to wipe the screen every month or two as a result. There is a slight reduction in contrast but for me the benefits outweigh this.
I also fitted one and it has been great. Stopped me being OCD with prints on the screen all the time.
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 19:48   #422
pagan8c
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post
Mine's due in Monday too, so collecting on Tuesday (all being well)!

I'll be taking 'the checklist' too - thanks for the input.

I have a small concern that the Volvo On Call app will have a problem, as per recent reports on other thread but will hope for the best. Should I call the day before and ask dealer to check it works or wait to get there? I do have a 130 mile drive to dealer (car bought via Carwow) so needs to be right.

I have a quote from Volvo insurance already but will take their 7 day free cover and probably go with them thereafter. With a T8, it's difficult to get an automated quote on the comparison sites as there's only options for 'petrol' or 'diesel' for fuel; no 'hybrid' option. Volvo Cars Insurance are quoting me a compulsory excess of £650 + £150 voluntary, so £800 excess, which worries me in case of parking dings, etc. I guess I just have to get it estimated and repaired and pay-up if it's less than a grand......Anyone recommend 'scratch-and-dent' (S&D) insurance or is it just another money-maker? I certainly don't anticipate problems and have never had to claim for minor repairs but then I've usually had an excess of £100 - £250. No doubt I can pay more to reduce the excess and see if this costs more than S&D cover, or just accept it as an extra risk.

Anyway, exciting times!

Cheers, Andy
When the dealer sorted my VOC out he had to have passwords etc to register it all so it will be done when you are there. I used Volvo insurance until this year but they changed companies and I was not happy with the latest one. As I am of a certain age I have gone with Saga and saved a hundred quid and a £250 excess.
pagan8c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pagan8c For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 22:25   #423
NandM

@lexman & neon: can you provide a link for the screen protector you bought?

Last edited by NandM; Jun 9th, 2017 at 22:29.
NandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 22:30   #424
NandM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortune7 View Post

Anyway, exciting times!
Indeed
NandM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 23:07   #425
neon
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandM View Post
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-BROTECT...-/192189981189
Old Jun 9th, 2017, 23:10   #426
aab203

Quote:
Originally Posted by NandM View Post
I believe it was this one, which I also have and would recommend

EDIT: Snap!
aab203 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aab203 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 04:44   #427
John Laidlaw
JDL,Wirral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aab203 View Post
I believe it was this one, which I also have and would recommend

EDIT: Snap!
Cheers - just purchased from Amazon at the same price...
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 07:10   #428
Driver Dave

Smile

Same ones as I bought , very easy to install, you would have difficulty knowing it ws there and works well, what few finger prints do show (when the screen is off) easily clean away with a quick wipe from a micofibre cloth.
Old Jun 10th, 2017, 10:47   #429
Lexman8
Premier Member

My top-tip for installing the protector is to fit it flush with the bottom edge of the screen. On my first car I aligned it along the top and this left a 2mm gap at the bottom (see pic). However, with the gap at the top you don't notice it.

Apparently the protector is deliberately short so that you can easily find an edge to remove it.
_
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1040238-002.JPG (221.0 KB, 24 views)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lexman8 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 11th, 2017, 17:01   #430
gaby
Premier Member

We made our first long trip of some 900Km with the MY2018 Momentum T5 yesterday. Very pleasant car to drive,
even when traffic is less so. The engine is more than powerfull enough. This is my first car with an automatic
transmission. Very convenient to drive, the gearbox works very smooth, but there is no engine brake to speak of.
Silent interior, no road noise to speak of (19" Conti's, air suspension), although more prominent than in our
XC70, probably due to less other sources of noise such as the engine. Air suspension is great, navigation works well.
But the screen did become too dirty to my eyes, so I installed the Brotect Airglass screen I already had.
Adaptive cruise control is awesome. I am not a fan of cruise control, but the adaptive feature is fantastic.
Perfect on highways, very comfortable in stop and go traffic. The standard audio system is good (enough),
although I have no doubts that the B&W is better (as it should be).
Steering wheel controls work intuitive, seats are great. Reverse mirror view needs some getting used to,
BLIS is great. Voice control wasn't tested. Airco was on auto and works well. The HUD is nice.
Still a lot to discover and learn, VOC still doesn't work...

Last edited by gaby; Jun 11th, 2017 at 17:03.
gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gaby For This Useful Post: