Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Warning - National tyres centres

Views : 6952

Replies : 74

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 24th, 2013, 13:48   #1
bradford555

Exclamation Warning - National tyres centres

Hello - asked National tyres to swap my fr and r wheels while it was having an inter oil change. They have charged me to balance the wheels!

me: Why did you do that?

Mechanic: My boss told me to....

Me: Manager, why have you balanced the tyres when they haven't been off the wheels, I only wanted the wheels rotating...

Him: they looked like they needed it, we always do

Beware of National Tyres
bradford555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bradford555 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 14:23   #2
Brendan W
Premier Member

Hmmm! I would have thought it was good practice to rebalance at part life if the opportunity arose, but what do I know
Brendan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brendan W For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 15:05   #3
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

Hello, Reviewing this situation with my Solomon-like brain (yeah, right) I conclude: These people are scum.... a clear case of "padding the bill". Alas, the time to protest has likely past.

Questions for you: Does the vehicle ride any better? What was the total? Had you ever dealt with these people before? Do they purport themselves to be "the cheapest place in town"?

Suggestion: If this company is indeed "National" get an address and lodge a complaint. The cheapie places over here even have dangerously cheap filters made for them. These filters' elements have been known to collapse and plug the oil's outlet, causing engine destruction.

Whether your car is a turbo or not, do you think they used the proper oil? Just another example of the benefits of doing it yourself. Kira
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 15:59   #4
Anadinolin
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan W View Post
Hmmm! I would have thought it was good practice to rebalance at part life if the opportunity arose, but what do I know
i would agree here too? nothing wrong with checking the balance, weights can come loose and tracking etc can get knocked about. each to their own i guess.
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 17:15   #5
Bill_56
Premier Member

Personally I think I'd have refused to pay the bill. The merits of rebalancing are worthy of debate, and arguably OK as a complementary gesture, but if the customer did not ask for it to be done rhen the customer should surely not have to pay?

As regards the merits, I'd be a little sceptical. It's true that stick-on weights can fall off over time, but I would expect to feel some vibration or steering wobble if there were a balance issue.

Quite apart from that, I stopped taking seriously the wheel balancing efforts of the High Street tyre chains (not specifically the one in this thread) some years ago when, faced with 'incurable' wheel wobble that several different tyre centres had failed to fix. I visited a 'proper' small garage with a wheel balancing machine and real mechanics, it turned out both front wheels had been so badly balanced that they were better off with all weights removed! Better still when balanced properly of course, wobble cured.
Bill_56 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill_56 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 17:50   #6
weedeno belfast
weedeno 2003 v70 d5 se

Default just for your information

some tyre places when you put tyres on the back d not balance them so the fact they did balance them has prob saved you going back so they did right from what I can see so in ways its unprofessional to do it any other way damian
weedeno belfast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to weedeno belfast For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 18:24   #7
owyn
Premier Member

It may well be good practice to rebalance, but only if you ask them to!

Not much different to some guy coming round my house, not knocking on the door, whipping the wheels off for a balance and then presenting me with a bill!
owyn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to owyn For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 18:33   #8
taz

But the big question is "Why did they not contact the customer first?" By doing this they have "forced his hand" & made him pay for a job that he never requested. I mean, that's like dropping the car in to have the brakes fixed and coming back and finding they had given the car a full valet too!(& charged for the latter), and saying: "Well your seats looked a tad grubby sir! hence, why we valeted it". They had no right to just do what THEY wanted to do. A simple call to the customer saying "When we were swapping the wheels from f-r & vise versa as you requested, we noticed some of the balance weights were loose/coming off. While we've got the wheels off, do you want us to re-balance them? as this will cost £X.XX to do". That is proper customer service by notifying the customer 1st to get the ok. You could then either say "ok, go-ahead & re-balance them" or the customer (you), could query this as you've never noticed any symptom's of wheel wobble etc which would draw you to mentioning "could you also check the wheel balancing & correct it if out when swapping the wheels round as I'm experiencing a bit of a wobble through the steering or back end". Then you've gave them the go-ahead to re-balance the wheels. It's hardly rocket science, but it is PROPER customer service!

I work in a bike shop & I couldn't just shot a new set of tyres on a customer's bike while I was replacing the inner tubes (that I'd been told to do as the job), then charge the customer for them by saying: "Well they were getting a bit thin on the tread" and demand he pays for them. I'd get laughed all the way to the Courts!!

At the end of the day, they should have called him first, or swapped the wheels round as requested noting to him that "the wheels needed re-balancing because...........". And leave it at that. What they done was illegal and I would have refused to pay as I did not request/authorise that work to be carried out. I would also request a copy of the spec of oil used in it's service to make sure that they had used the correct spec of oil n filters too! But this is just me. I've found that shouting get's you everywhere when someone's gone over you & decided to do it at YOUR cost!
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to taz For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 18:46   #9
taz

Quote:
Originally Posted by weedeno belfast View Post
some tyre places when you put tyres on the back d not balance them so the fact they did balance them has prob saved you going back so they did right from what I can see so in ways its unprofessional to do it any other way damian
But as you stated putting the "tyres" on the back. That plank of a tyre fitter COULD think exactly that in putting the "tyres" on the back & NOT just swapping the "complete wheels" round. Then you've got an argument as he's taken your request too literally.....lol. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt! as I had a experience where someone took what I said quite literally when I mentioned that their rear tyre tread pattern was facing the wrong way causing more drag/hard work to pedal their bike. I told them to turn the tyre round so the tread was facing the correct way & he brought the bike in saying he'd done what I'd said, but now he can't get any gears! When I looked, he'd turned the full wheel round so the rear cog was now on the left side of the bike instead of the right! After trying (VERY BADLY), not to laugh, I told him to nip over to the coffee shop for a cuppa while I sort out his "gear problem" & I'll txt him shortly when it's all done. He was well chuffed that his bike was up & running again. He asked whether he'd done out wrong & I just told him NAH!!!!!!! It just needed a bit o' fettlin'!.....lololol
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24th, 2013, 22:33   #10
liberalis
Kris

You sir, have received very poor customer service. Not all NTA depots are the same.