Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC60 automatic: Can I replace an AGM battery with EFB one?

Views : 1484

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 16th, 2021, 21:18   #1
Guu

Default XC60 automatic: Can I replace an AGM battery with EFB one?

In an internet ordering mistake I have bought an EFB battery but ideally it ought to been an AGM one. So my question is - EFB vs AGM, how much does it truly matter?
Guu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 21:28   #2
rxtian

I wouldn’t do it personally, it sounds like the EFB will not last long under the abuse the car will subject it to thinking it’s AGM:

“Q. What are the differences between EFB and AGM batteries?
A. EFB batteries have been introduced as a lower tier option to AGM batteries in terms of performance and durability. EFB technology relies on improvements to existing flooded technology through the addition of Carbon additives in the plate manufacturing process. AGM batteries benefit from the inclusion of unique design features not found in wet-flooded batteries. These include glass mat separators, recombinant lid technology and higher pack pressures to facilitate improved cyclic lifespan. AGM batteries are better suited to meeting the demands of higher specification vehicles that include one or more of the following technologies: Start Stop, Regenerative Braking and Passive Boost“
From: https://www.yuasa.co.uk/info/technic...efb-explained/

If you ordered online you have 14 days to get a refund, though the return postage might be a bit brutal!
rxtian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rxtian For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 22:04   #3
Guu

I'm looking into the returns options now. The website offered a license plate look-up so I didn't check the manual or the current battery before I ordered. I'm annoyed with the seller as if their database isn't good enough to tell whether the car is manual or automatic then a simple warning message to highlight the differences would have made all the difference. (And they would have probably been able to sell me a more expensive battery to boot!)
Guu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2021, 22:27   #4
Deck1ng
Master Member

Cars that use EFB or AGM batteries have sensors and a battery management system (BMS), in general you can use an AGM battery in place of an EFB, but not the other way around.
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com › ...
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deck1ng For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 08:50   #5
MacV50
Master Member

My early MY17 (registered June 2016) AWD auto was fitted with a Volvo EFB battery. I would assume it came this way from the factory as I got the car at 6 months old.

The battery lasted until early this year when the stop start would rarely work although the car started OK all the time even in pretty cold mornings.

The manual states that it should have an AGM battery so that's what I bought but it was fine with the EFB

Since changing, I have noticed that MPG has improved. I'm assuming this is because the battery isn't being constantly charged so the load on the engine is less
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 09:13   #6
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deck1ng View Post
Cars that use EFB or AGM batteries have sensors and a battery management system (BMS), in general you can use an AGM battery in place of an EFB, but not the other way around.
https://mechanics.stackexchange.com › ...
Perhaps not worth taking the risk, but I'd assumed the BMS would know whether an EFB or AGM battery was fitted. Otherwise how can, say, my model be fitted with either type depending on whether it has manual or automatic transmission?
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 10:36   #7
Deck1ng
Master Member

Forgive me if I'm being dense, not being mechanically trained, but why would the transmission make any difference to the battery fitted?
Deck1ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 10:57   #8
rxtian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
Perhaps not worth taking the risk, but I'd assumed the BMS would know whether an EFB or AGM battery was fitted. Otherwise how can, say, my model be fitted with either type depending on whether it has manual or automatic transmission?
It works kind of the opposite way to what you’re suggesting, the car knows if it has an auto or manual, and therefore whether the battery is EFB or AGM (trusting the factory fitted the right one and replacements are the same). The BMS then uses the battery type to control charging etc to be suitable for either EFB or AGM.
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 10:58   #9
rxtian

Quote:
Forgive me if I'm being dense, not being mechanically trained, but why would the transmission make any difference to the battery fitted?
I think the autos can make more agressive use of the start/stop system because of the increased control the car has over itself.
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 08:37   #10
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
That’s a good question... I’d love to know the answer too....
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, battery, efb