Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC90 05 Rattle/Grinding under acceleration

Views : 515

Replies : 3

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 29th, 2023, 14:34   #1
jlet

Default XC90 05 Rattle/Grinding under acceleration

Guys I’m at a loss. I am on holiday with the family and my XC90 2.4 AWD auto has started making a horrible rasping noise when under acceleration including while in neutral. It seems to be from the rear of the engine turbo area anyone else had this before. Any help will be much appreciated. Link to video https://vimeo.com/849725853
jlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 03:14   #2
Symes
Master Member

If your D4 is the 5 cyl like my D5 it might be the seals on the plastic 'resonator' pipe from the turbo down the back of the engine which connects to another plastic pipe under the engine to the front where there is then a flexible pipe (hose) to the intercooler. The orange seals on the resonator pipe split, weren't overly expensive but a bit of a fiddle to get the pipe off to fit. On my D5 the previous owner had replaced the original resonator with an aftermarket silicon hose which seems to be a popular modification.

If you are not getting a 'engine system service required' message you're lucky, try not to accelerate harshly otherwise you might put yourself in 'limp mode' .

Should have pointed out that I've not listened to the video... If it's a more mechanical sound, check the best shield by the turbo is secure!

Last edited by Symes; Aug 1st, 2023 at 03:19.
Symes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1st, 2023, 08:57   #3
TruckbusUK
Petrolhead+Lots of Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symes View Post
If your D4 is the 5 cyl like my D5
I didn't think that the mark one XC90 in the uk used the D4 engine, D5's only and a couple of petrols.
TruckbusUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2023, 13:29   #4
jlet

It was the turbo the compressor wheel was hitting the sides of the turbo.
jlet is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jlet For This Useful Post:

Tags
xc90 2005