Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

How much fuel left when Reserve light comes on?

Views : 27536

Replies : 86

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: What do you do when the fuel reserve light comes on?
I never see the reserve light come one. I always fill up before this happens. 61 34.46%
Head straight to the nearest fuel station. 17 9.60%
Trust the trip computer about the remaining range, but make sure I don't push my luck. 75 42.37%
Wait until I see "--- miles remaining". I have still never run out of fuel. 24 13.56%
Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 19th, 2016, 14:28   #51
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire4 View Post
Mrs S used to work in a garage, a ford one, and the pumps were checked regularly for accuracy, but when you keep clicking on and off, trying to get a bit more in, some of it is air, so as she used to tell me "you're pumping air not fuel". Touch wood, haven't run out of fuel but try to keep a certain amount in, another nag from Mrs S, telling me it's not good for a diesel as it has to be reprimed whatever that means!
Not sure I believe that first one. The pump in the cabinet is designed to be completely isolated from any possibility of air ingress. The last thing you want in an enclosed space is a combination of electricity, fuel and air. Unless in a combustion chamber of course.
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 17:07   #52
GMcL
0's and 1's

Page 255 of my manual describes how to prime the system under the heading Empty Tank. It does also explain that the car may need to go back to Volvo for venting.

Previous: 2005 Volvo S60 D5 Sport - 2017 Focus RS
GMcL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 19:04   #53
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimble View Post
Not sure I believe that first one. The pump in the cabinet is designed to be completely isolated from any possibility of air ingress. The last thing you want in an enclosed space is a combination of electricity, fuel and air. Unless in a combustion chamber of course.
There are many electric pumps that run submersed in may substances that are a lot more volatile than diesel or petrol, even ones that can be used in hazardous areas that have gas or explosives - they simply use brushless motors just like good electric screwdrivers and other high end tools do do now, no sparks to worry about
The Following User Says Thank You to wimorrison For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 19th, 2016, 19:51   #54
Clan
Experienced Member

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcr69 View Post
I did my first proper tank refill yesterday on my D4 FWD Manual.

I am used to computers that fib as to how much fuel is left (my Toyota would say I had a range of 20 miles when I could put on 55 litres in a 60 litre tank).

Anyways, being dumb, and making a 70 mile motorway journey, I ignored the Reserve light (which came on at around 50 miles left) and went off the trip computer telling me the range left.

When it got to 20 miles left I decided to leave the motorway and get to a fuel station.

On the slip road (uphill) the range went from 20 miles left to "---" and stayed like that for 2 miles to the petrol station.

I was expecting to get about 65 litres into the fuel tank.

I actually managed to put in 73.08 litres - definitely NOT something that I am proud of
Bear in mind the tank is officially 70 litres, plus the plumbing from the filler cap.

Incidently, I managed 777 miles on the tank and averaged 48.33mpg with a mix of
- about 500 miles on the motorway, locked in cruise control at 56mph - an indicated 58 mph on the computer - hey, they always overestimate, but GPS never lies
- about 200 miles on decent windy A-roads, speeding.
- the rest around town

So, from here on I will search for a fuel station when the reserve light comes on.

Has anyone ever run out of fuel, or run the fuel levels so low they got more than 73 litres in?
But it does lie , in all circumstances except a straight and level road .

The gauge is a precision instrument and is accurate especially at the low end , so when the needle runs off the edge of the scale scale expect to run out any time if it hasn't already that is .
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 12:34   #55
Grimble
Grimble

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
There are many electric pumps that run submersed in may substances that are a lot more volatile than diesel or petrol, even ones that can be used in hazardous areas that have gas or explosives - they simply use brushless motors just like good electric screwdrivers and other high end tools do do now, no sparks to worry about
Of course there are, I work in the offshore oil business where we have seriously sized pumps running in hazardous areas, but I believe that the pumps used on forecourt pumps are in the above ground cabinet, rather than submersed in the fuel tank. The point is to keep oxygen away so that there is minimal chance of a combustible mixture coming in to contact with an ignition source. All pump nozzles and car filler tubes are non-ferric for the same reason. Also relevant is the ban on using your mobile when filling up, which given Samsungs recent difficulties, now seems a bit more reasonable. Even a brushless motor has electrical connections.
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 13:28   #56
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

A pump that is submersed in fuel is significantly less likely than a pump running in air to cause a fire of an exposion you require 3 items to be available at the same time.

Fuel, oxygen and heat - if submersed completly then there is no oxygen, therfore no chance of combustion.

The electrical connections do not generate any heat, unlike the spark in a brushed motor - it is this spark that craetes the heat for the combusion to happen in air.

The ban on mobile phones was created to address the analogue 'phones of yesteryear and has simply remained in the digital era - same as the use of 'phones in aircraft
Old Oct 20th, 2016, 14:23   #57
Grimble
Grimble

The ban on phones in aircraft was/is allegedly to do with radio wave interference, not an electrical power issue. Otherwise laptops and music players would also be banned.

I did mention that you needed fuel, air and a source of combustion in my earlier post.

Electrical cables connected to a load can and do overheat, check the one on your domestic iron after half an hour or so of use.

My original point was that you would not be pumping any air into your fuel tank by 'clicking' the pump, as there would be no air in the system in the first place by design, for safety reasons.
Old Nov 16th, 2016, 23:17   #58
NigelDay
Premier Member

Default Correction

In post #16 I reported a fill of 75.96 litres, but I now believe this must have included a 10 litre can.
This week, I knew I was running low so had the precautionary can in the boot.
At 730 miles, the '20 miles to empty' disappeared and the red light came on.
I reached the filling station at 736.4 miles (phew !) and filled to the brim with 74.35 litres. So, I reckon the true capacity of the tank is 75 litres, which would tally with 20 miles remaining at 730 miles driven at an average consumption of 45mpg.
As already explained, I don't make a habit of this but filling stations are thin on the ground up here and unplanned trips in the wrong direction don't help.
2015: XC60 D4 FWD SE Lux Nav 190hp manual, Osmium Grey, 17" Segin, Tempa, Winter Illumination, Security, Family, DSP, 4C, HK Sound, Subwoofer, Front Parking, Rear Camera, Dark Tinted, Power Passenger Seat, Speed and Heated Steering.
NigelDay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NigelDay For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 19th, 2016, 08:10   #59
ADBS65

Whilst traveling in France with the family I decided to play Top Gear fuel light bingo to liven up the journey. I was on the motorway and had the benefit of the range left information that the kids were unaware of, a safety net if you like. Anyway I get down to 20 miles left and decide to skip the approaching fuel station as I assumed there would be another within 20 miles. A short distance down th road I am forced to brake for the toll booth, at which point my range goes ----- not perturbed, I think it will come back on when I acceleration away from the booth, err but it doesn't. I exit the motorway as my lad is using maps to find the nearest filling station. On arrival I find its shut down :-( I have been driving some distance now, close on 20 miles! The locals send me toward the next nearest one, TBH I am thinking the worst, however, I literally just make it. I filled up and put 78 litres in, I must have been on vapour! Lesson learned, and I have not played the game since!
Old Aug 12th, 2017, 01:17   #60
Bigjap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
If you run out completely Nigel don't expect to be able to just put more fuel in and have it start up again. Happened to my friend and the car has never been right since, cutting out at random intervals. The garage wants to renew the whole fuel system.

Roy
Sounds like a garage that are clutching at straws, He will find if the vehicle has ran dry and sucked all the dregs of the tank onto the strum on the intank pump it will be restricted and will be getting starved of fuel. The filter systems are that fine it doesn't take a great deal to cause a restriction.
Bigjap is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reserve low fuel