Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

If you decided your next car wasn’t a Volvo

Views : 4317

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 1st, 2022, 14:59   #11
key76

This is my first and last Volvo. Car is nice enough (most of the time), but come from many years of Mercedes E Class ownership and I think I'll be going back to that when I change cars next as the Volvo just doesn't come close to the same level of premium feel despite positioning itself as such and charging similar prices.
Old May 1st, 2022, 15:47   #12
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Im retired, don't need a car at all and already habe more cars than is sensible.

That being the case my next car will be a bicycle and a bus pass. Barring the grossly unforseen, I won't ever be buying another automobile.
Old May 2nd, 2022, 09:22   #13
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by key76 View Post
This is my first and last Volvo. Car is nice enough (most of the time), but come from many years of Mercedes E Class ownership and I think I'll be going back to that when I change cars next as the Volvo just doesn't come close to the same level of premium feel despite positioning itself as such and charging similar prices.
This experience struck a chord with me. I had three Merc E Class before switching to Volvo. I found that Merc build and design quality fell considerably over this time: the last Merc was a complete disaster with noisy trim, regular warning lights and electrical faults caused by water ingress. The latest ones have vulgar interiors imho.

So I'm not planning to go back to Mercedes but what next?

I couldn't bring myself to pay current Volvo list prices (the cars are satisfying and very nicely built but not that good) and would be very concerned about the reported unreliability of the latest hybrid electronics, the generally hopeless national charging infrastructure and the (currently) dire Android OS. I paid under £29k for my current S90 with 10 miles on the clock. It has been faultless over 12k miles/18 months and is averaging 47.5 mpg.

I am attracted by Toyota/Lexus reliability but always manage to spot a deal breaker with equipment levels. My current thoughts are heading towards a VW Tiguan, petrol, Elegance trim and AWD but only when nearly new prices normalise.

This thread asks a very interesting question and the answers aren't totally obvious to me at the moment.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2022, 10:00   #14
OldEngineer

I think Mercedes are going the same way as VW Audi. Only concentrate on the things that the driver can see and touch. Quite happy to use Renault parts on engines and suspension.

It's quite neat to be able to charge Mercedes prices in these circumstances.

So Volvo design double wishbone suspensions and innovative rear composite springs and don't get the 'Quality' stamp?
Old May 2nd, 2022, 10:52   #15
Ian0803

Over the past 4 years I have owned 3 BMW's and this year I bought a new XC90 B5 Diesel.
It's my first diesel and I am surprisingly impressed.

The XC90, from a comfort perspective is superior to all the BMW's, probably more related to the seat and driving position than anything else in my opinion. I never got 100% comfortable in any of the BMW's and was always adjusting the seating position. Their petrol engines though, especially the sixes are just fantastic.

All the BMW's had a better suspension, just more refined/compliant when the road surface got bad. The XC90 is a lot better than the V70 I had for 9 years in the past, but it still feels less sophisticated.

Prices for Volvo and many cars now have reached ridiculous numbers and these prices are most likely to become the norm since when do manufacturers reduce prices.
I see the buying process changing from dealer to more on-line and less choice of cars built to custom specs. This should eventually make it easier for both the manufacturer and dealers, maybe not the consumer.

What will be my next make and model, well hard to say at the moment, I have no brand loyalty and will choose my next car based on my needs and budget at that time.
Most likely it will be an EV, I have one already as a city car and appreciate its advantages, but the range, charging infrastructure and price needs significant improvement before I make any change.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2022, 11:09   #16
Tony Harrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian0803 View Post
Over the past 4 years I have owned 3 BMW's and this year I bought a new XC90 B5 Diesel.
It's my first diesel and I am surprisingly impressed.

The XC90, from a comfort perspective is superior to all the BMW's, probably more related to the seat and driving position than anything else in my opinion. I never got 100% comfortable in any of the BMW's and was always adjusting the seating position. Their petrol engines though, especially the sixes are just fantastic.

All the BMW's had a better suspension, just more refined/compliant when the road surface got bad. The XC90 is a lot better than the V70 I had for 9 years in the past, but it still feels less sophisticated.

Prices for Volvo and many cars now have reached ridiculous numbers and these prices are most likely to become the norm since when do manufacturers reduce prices.
I see the buying process changing from dealer to more on-line and less choice of cars built to custom specs. This should eventually make it easier for both the manufacturer and dealers, maybe not the consumer.

What will be my next make and model, well hard to say at the moment, I have no brand loyalty and will choose my next car based on my needs and budget at that time.
Most likely it will be an EV, I have one already as a city car and appreciate its advantages, but the range, charging infrastructure and price needs significant improvement before I make any change.
I thoroughly agree with these comments Ian. Volvo ride quality is a relative weakness especially at current price levels; not poor, just not good enough. Am thinking of switching to 17s from my current 19 inch wheels together with all seasons tyres in due course. It's almost cost-neutral too.

MY2020 Volvo S90 Inscription Plus D4, Osmium Grey, Winter Pack and other bits and pieces
Tony Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 15:26   #17
neilgorin

Looks like it has to be a VW or Skoda (or something very similar) to replace my 2019 V60 most likely next year when it hits 100k, or if it's not given any major trouble I'll run it until it does.

It certainly won't be another V60 - I spend enough on fuel with the D4 to go down to a "mild hybrid" petrol, and the V90 starts over 40k so even used is a non starter due to the road tax, I'd rather not have an automatic either.

I'm put off massively by the lack of leather on the steering wheel, and the seats to be honest too.

Last edited by neilgorin; May 3rd, 2022 at 15:29.
neilgorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 15:52   #18
James77

When I replace this XC60 it won't be with another Volvo as I'd be buying pretty much the same thing perhaps in a slightly different shape but with similar styling and the same interior and with options that keep going missing possibly a step backward too.
Still wound up by the removal of 40/20/40 rear seat split if I'd have realised that when buying this XC60 I might not have.
Old May 3rd, 2022, 18:30   #19
Ian0803

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Harrison View Post
I thoroughly agree with these comments Ian. Volvo ride quality is a relative weakness especially at current price levels; not poor, just not good enough. Am thinking of switching to 17s from my current 19 inch wheels together with all seasons tyres in due course. It's almost cost-neutral too.
One of the reasons that I am happy to have the XC90 is that I have 20 inch wheels which have so many tyre options, especially for all seasons.
Two of the BMW's were nightmares for tyres, one on 19 inch staggered and the other on 21 inch staggered. Tyre choice was so limited(and expensive to say the least). Zero choice for all seasons.
Not familiar with the wheel specs for the S90, but as long as 17 inch rims clear the callipers, you should be fine.
Ian0803 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2022, 18:37   #20
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldEngineer View Post
I think Mercedes are going the same way as VW Audi. Only concentrate on the things that the driver can see and touch. Quite happy to use Renault parts on engines and suspension.
Not to mention entire Renault engines in many of their models. You've got to pay some proper money to get an actual Mercedes. Volvo stopped pulling that stunt almost 8 years ago the moment they managed to escape Ford ownership, but MB are happy to take top money from customers for cars with French engines.

Its been 30 years since Mercedes made a genuinely premium product at all levels im the range. The likes of JD Power and the Warranty Direct Reliability Index often show Mercedes in quite a poor light. Strangely enough VW often do quite badly there as well, but in the UK have this strange and largely undeserved reputation for "quality" thqt they don't have elsewhere.

Certainly back home in Canada and North America they're not blindly thought of as a premium product as the ill informed over here tend to think of them. Theyre regard as expensive simply for being European, and only the likes of the S class etc are regarded as anything special.