Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weights

Views : 1137

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 19th, 2011, 16:59   #11
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield

the MTPLM on the caravan is 1700kg so if i load it to that i am about 98% towing ratio with the V70 D5 i have at the moment,not knowing what the XC60 weighs i suspect would be in the region of 1800kg possibly a bit less unless anyone has put one on a weighbridge so they will be about the same figures as i am at the moment. i will be looking shortly for a newer model but do not wish to have a 4x4.yes i do need to bring the ratio down slightly without changing the van.the difference in nose weight the V70 is 75kg and as you have pointed out its 90kg on the XC60.
thanks
mike

mike

Last edited by outnumbered; Dec 19th, 2011 at 17:05.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 19:20   #12
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by outnumbered View Post
the MTPLM on the caravan is 1700kg so if i load it to that i am about 98% towing ratio with the V70 D5 i have at the moment,not knowing what the XC60 weighs i suspect would be in the region of 1800kg possibly a bit less unless anyone has put one on a weighbridge so they will be about the same figures as i am at the moment. i will be looking shortly for a newer model but do not wish to have a 4x4.yes i do need to bring the ratio down slightly without changing the van.the difference in nose weight the V70 is 75kg and as you have pointed out its 90kg on the XC60.
thanks
mike

mike
The D5 manual weighs 1798kg and the Geartronic 1815 kg so at 1700 mtplm you would be towing at about 95% about 10% more than the recommended by the Caravan Club? Thats based on the car being empty!

However when you add the driver and a passenger and a bit of luggage and bits and bobs in the car (say 250kg) you will be running about 82% and still well under the gross train by a good 500kg.

My own view is that the XC60 feels a pretty heavy solid lump of machinery and would pull your van with ease and in safety.

The D3 2wd XC60 comes in about the same weight as your current car at about 1724kg although I think the nose weight is slightly lower (75kg?). The max tow on this though is 1600kg whereas the D3 AWD can tow 1800kg and weighs the same as the D5 AWD.

I have in the past towed vans with a higher mtplm than the tow vehicle was capable of....simply because I towed them empty although ensured the nose weight was accurate. If stopped though you will end up on a weigh bridge as I did as the van mtplm plate exceeded the cars towing weight (on paper). All was well though as I was found to be towing within the cars official recommendations.

Regards
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote