Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Top speed

Views : 953

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 11th, 2011, 14:03   #1
jvaule

Default Top speed

Anyone know the topspeed of a Rica, MTM or BSR tuning?
jvaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 14:23   #2
JamesV70R
Forum Support Team

Given enough room, off the clock. But then again you can do that with a standard map.
JamesV70R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2011, 19:19   #3
darbs
XC60 Owner

there's a limiter on the speed and for good reason. if you wanted more speed, there'd be a lot of hardware you'd need to upgrade to stop the thing crashing.
82 Metro 1.0
darbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 17:13   #4
jvaule

why should the car crash if i go 215-220 ?
I think its kind of odd that a car company sets the limit to 205 or 210, when another car like the tiguan runs 220 with the right setting.
jvaule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 17:30   #5
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaule View Post
Anyone know the topspeed of a Rica, MTM or BSR tuning?
More than fast enough
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 17:31   #6
Mrjon
Master Member

Are we talking BHP here? Those figures in MPH seem a little high for cars
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 17:41   #7
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvaule View Post
why should the car crash if i go 215-220 ?
I think its kind of odd that a car company sets the limit to 205 or 210, when another car like the tiguan runs 220 with the right setting.
As Darbs has said there are many reasons that the speed is limited, and if you don't know why this is the case then you should not be attempting to change anything from the manufacturers specification.

A little amount of research into rotational energy would show that the energy increases at the square of the speed which means that a doubling of the crankshaft speed would result in quadrupling in the energy that has to be handled by the components.

This increase may require the webs to be much heavier and would dramatically increase the wear rate on the cylinders, pistons, small and big ends (a factor of 8). This does not take into account the requirements of the fuel pumps, cooling and valve trains which may also require to be upgraded to remain within design tolerances.

Manufacturers do not decide on the specifications without rigorous design and testing - it always amuses me that laymen know more than multi-national design companies who spend millions of all currencies getting things right - perhaps they shouldn't bother and just ask someone with a laptop to at RICA or BSR to tell them what to do for £500
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 19:16   #8
t5_monkey
Monkeying Around

I always thought mapping by manufacturers was to make sure the car could use most grades of fuel.

Some of the Focus lads with just a remap have topped out at 160mph... and more with additional mods.

Release the Monkey inside of you >>> Trunk Monkey
t5_monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 13th, 2011, 19:38   #9
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by t5_monkey View Post
I always thought mapping by manufacturers was to make sure the car could use most grades of fuel.

Some of the Focus lads with just a remap have topped out at 160mph... and more with additional mods.
partly true, they are also to ensure that the working limits of the components are not exceeded. All components have the capacity to work at higher loads, but within limits.

If you take a crane hook, as an example, it may have a working load limit of 20 tonne, this does not mean it will fail at 21 tonne, but at a limit specified and tested (in the region of 40 tonne in this case). It would handle a single, one off load of 30 tonne without issue (though it would be illegal) - but repeated loading at 30 tonne would cause premature failure.

Exactly the same applies to vehicle components - especially brakes.

I recall at college many years ago uprating a car with a much larger engine, but being young and naive (not to mention skint) we didn't uprate the brakes - result, car could stop due to the power that was being delivered by the engine, luckily no serious damage done other than to our pride and pockets