Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

gear box clunk

Views : 925

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 15th, 2011, 20:12   #1
marmitemartian

Default gear box clunk

Can anyone share similar issues as mine?, I have a 2011 d5 with manual gear box, on slowing down and reaching approximately 10mph the gearbox clunks, I understand its a solenoid opening the reverse gear gate, which fits, however im amazed that its such an audible clunk and fear mine is not how it should be, any similar experience?
marmitemartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2011, 20:31   #2
robg

mine is a very quiet click, i only hear it if i try, i can feel it through the lever if my hand it on it, but again, only if i am trying to notice.

Sounds like yours needs dealer attention.
robg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 18:34   #3
marmitemartian

Quote:
Originally Posted by robg View Post
mine is a very quiet click, i only hear it if i try, i can feel it through the lever if my hand it on it, but again, only if i am trying to notice.

Sounds like yours needs dealer attention.
Thanks for the feedback , your thoughts have confirmed my feelings, the tailgate has died a death too now so maybe time to go back to Nissan!!!!!
marmitemartian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18th, 2011, 18:39   #4
Ransman
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmitemartian View Post
Thanks for the feedback , your thoughts have confirmed my feelings, the tailgate has died a death too now so maybe time to go back to Nissan!!!!!
Not sure Nissan would be interested in sorting problems with a 2011 D5. I should try your Volvo dealer.
Ransman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ransman For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 14:52   #5
Matteus XC60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ransman View Post
Not sure Nissan would be interested in sorting problems with a 2011 D5. I should try your Volvo dealer.
Perhaps he means Nissan Main Dealer? Then again, not sure what the ex-South African President and anti-apartheid campaigner will be able to do to help, but he's a very nice man, so I'm sure he'll try......
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 15:36   #6
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matteus XC60 View Post
Perhaps he means Nissan Main Dealer? Then again, not sure what the ex-South African President and anti-apartheid campaigner will be able to do to help, but he's a very nice man, so I'm sure he'll try......
Nelson Mandela is sitting on the verandah at home when there is a knock at the front door. He is surprised when he opens the door to find a small Chinese man holding a clipboard.

The China man thrusts the clipboard towards Nelson and says "You sign, You sign" Looking over the China man's shoulder he notices the delivery mans lorry which is full with gearboxes. Again the China man shouts "You sign, You sign".

Confused but certain that this can not be right Mr. Mandela refuses to sign for the delivery and sends the driver packing.

The following day there is another knock at the door, again it is the small Chinese delivery man. "You sign, You sign" he barks. This time Nelson notices that the lorry is carrying a cargo of rear axles. Again the delivery driver thrusts the clipboard under Nelson's nose "You sign, You sign".

This is not for me Mr. Mandela tells the excited delivery driver, now EFFOFF! and he closes the door.

The next afternoon the Chinese man is again on the doorstep with his clipboard, "You sign, You sign" Beside himself with anger Mr. Mandela glances at the mans lorry and notices that todays consignment is windscreens.

"You sign, You sign" and again the clipboard is thrust in to his face.

At the point of despair Nelson screams at the China man "THE GEAR BOXES WERE NOT FOR ME! THE REAR AXLES WERE NOT FOR ME! I DO NOT WANT THESE WINDSCREENS! WHY DO YOU KEEP CALLING AT MY HOUSE?

The Chinese man replies "You Nissan Main Dealer?"
volvorocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 15:39   #7
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Can anyone share similar issues as mine?, I have a 2011 d5 with manual gear box, on slowing down and reaching approximately 10mph the gearbox clunks, I understand its a solenoid opening the reverse gear gate, which fits, however im amazed that its such an audible clunk and fear mine is not how it should be, any similar experience?
Mine is perfectly quiet.As you say it may be an electrical issue as a lot of faults seem to be on XC.

It may be a gearbox mount or other mount.There may be issues with the clutch or flywheel.Sounds mechanical.
Old Dec 19th, 2011, 15:43   #8
volvorocks
Rodney

Quote:
Did you drive with the tailgate open as this has the effect of making the tailgate not work for a certain period.

My tailgate packed up. Then it started working as quickly as it had packed up.Then it stopped working.Then it started working.No "fault" found though.

What other faults have you had?

Regards