Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Side Marker Bulbs Replaced So Why Still the Message?

Views : 515

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 14:05   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default Side Marker Bulbs Replaced So Why Still the Message?

I've replaced the two front side marker bulbs (behind the orange covers) & can see they're working, but I'm still getting the msg appearing & orange triangle when the car's ignition's on.

Interestingly, the check system missed the fact one of the reversing bulbs was blown, so perhaps it's not that accurate?

Is this just 'one of those things' or are there some bulbs elsewhere I need to check?

My V/S40's had rear position markers too but as this S80 doesn't I'm stumped.

Thanks all.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 14:54   #2
Georgeandkira
Premier Member

If the resistance of the 2 lamps differ greatly a "bulb out" message can occur.
A touch of dielectric grease can help too.
Georgeandkira is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Georgeandkira For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 15:13   #3
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

@Georgeandkira thx, I'd notice a similar comment on another post when I was searching about these bulbs a few days ago.

All I've done so far is simply used two spares that I knew were 'live' rather than a matched pair. I might buy a new pair too as they're not dear.
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 17:32   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Did you use standard bulbs or upgrade to LED? A lot of self check systems measure resistance and as LED have absolute minimal resistance they will show as fail ever when operational.

Your choice if you have used LED would be to solder a resistor across it (doubt this is east and you would need to know what value) or replace with standard.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 02:06   #5
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Did you use standard bulbs or upgrade to LED? A lot of self check systems measure resistance and as LED have absolute minimal resistance they will show as fail ever when operational.

Your choice if you have used LED would be to solder a resistor across it (doubt this is east and you would need to know what value) or replace with standard.
Good question and no upgrades. All I'd done was replaced the two blown side marker bulbs with two spares from my spare bulb box, so I'm not sure how old they are or whether they're a matched-pair (unlikely).

I'll buy a new pair of "old school" bulbs tomorrow from my local spares shop & see whether I can clear the warning message.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 14:23   #6
ASt85
Premier Member

Default Check the bulb(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesStevenson View Post
I'll buy a new pair of "old school" bulbs tomorrow from my local spares shop & see whether I can clear the warning message.
Even though an old bulb might be thought to be "good" it is always as well to check it before installing - those left in glove box emergency kits often get damaged by vibration yet appear OK unless you test them either by measuring their resistance or connecting them across a suitable battery.

Don't forget that side marker lamps/lights also include the 5W bulbs which sit inside the head lamp on many models - they often get missed as they are difficult to see if the dipped beams are set as Daylight Running Lamps.

In the same way, if the one or both 5W rear side markers in each rear cluster are faulty then, as those above, they will produce the message; they look normal if both outer or both inner markers in S60's/V70s/XC70s & etc are blown or indeed if both of the single bulbs in each S80 rear cluster have blown.
In the Left//Right Rear cluster the lamps are
P21/4W
P21W,
PY21W
R5W....(Side Marker )

Fitting Position:
Rear - Left//Right
Light Function:
with indicator, with stop light, with rear fog light, with reverse light, with reflector, with taillight, with side marker light
Supplementary Article/Supplementary Info:
without lamp base
Construction year to:
12/2003
Lamp Type:
P21/4W, P21W, PY21W, R5W
Light Design:
Bulb Technology
Inspection Tag:
E1 1716, ECE
Number of light functions: 7
(Origin = https://www.buycarparts.co.uk/hella/951605 ))

V70 SE 2004 2.3L T5 Geartronic, C70 2005 2.0T Automatic, Sold 2.4l 20 Valve Automatic Torslander Sold 854 GLT 20v Auto

Last edited by ASt85; Apr 11th, 2021 at 16:34. Reason: Update lamp info
ASt85 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ASt85 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 16:47   #7
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Ok, and the problem was caused by ...

The previous owner had only one working rear tailgate bulb in each unit (just as @ASt85 suggested above).

I put a second one in each unit and that cleared the message.

My mistake in not checking the rear straight away but since the front side bulbs were both dead I thought that'd be the issue.

So in case your car's throwing a 'position bulb out' message, check the rear pair on each side too.

HTH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post: