Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Model years

Views : 939

Replies : 18

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2021, 14:13   #1
JohnL

Default Model years

I have a friend looking at an Diesel 2008 model XC90, which engine colour cover would it have, and would this year have the troublesome throttle butterflies on the inlet, and the water leak onto the ECU?
I know the issues but not sure what models starting having the troubles, didn't want him to buy into to much trouble.
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 14:38   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Ensure you get a facelift

Facelift has silver engine cover, and square tallights (indicator and reverse)

Then the majority of issues are solved
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 16:13   #3
JohnL

Is the 2008 before these particular issues?
John
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 16:38   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
Is the 2008 before these particular issues?
John
John,

I am not too sure any model (163BHP, 185 BHP or 200BHP are better than the other - maybe the later 200BHP is).

My understanding is that the 163 is the last of the ‘old school’ engines pre DPF however he swirlflap/injector issues (I am not sure). They also feature a bevel gear for the drive train which WILL fail and WILL cost a fortune. Far more than a DPF.

The 185 is much more modern, uses the more reliable drive train without Bevel gear and is a swift engine. It is however very fuel in efficient and costs £550 a year to tax.

The 200BHP has the later 6 speed AW gearbox which with regular fluid changes is bullet proof, reliable swift engine and good fuel economy. Given the latest 200BHP versions are still 7-10 years old you really need to be judging on condition rather than model.

I will say talking to people that owned the 163 mode they deride it’s performance telling me they suffered foot to the floor poor acceleration and cruising constantly.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 17:16   #5
gmonag
Premier Member

Oooooo....not true.
The 163hp is a sweetie!
No swirls flaps or DPF. Probably smoother than the later engines. Not lacking in power though for most situations. I use mine for towing a BIG caravan (1.85t) with no problems at all.
The splined sleeve issue in the bevel gear only applies to MY2003/2004 and most (if not all) have been fixed by now.
The 2005 163hp is at a sweet spot!
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 17:42   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Here we go....

Feb 2003 model launch - 163 BHP engine (black engine cover), ultra reliable, super smooth, most economical, average 5-speed gearbox. No DPF, throttle body or swirl flaps.

2006 Model Year (sold late 2005) - 185 BHP engine (grey cover), less reliable (but not unreliable) mainly due to extra complexity around Euro 4 emissions equipment - swirl flaps, DPF filter. Less refined and less economical but better 6-speed auto gearbox.

2007 Model Year - cosmetic facelift, new rear lights, more colour coding on bumpers, more discreet wheel arches, interior spec upgrade. Same engines and gearboxes.

2012 Model Year (sold late 2011) revised 200 BHP engine, slight improvements in refinement and generally more economical and reliable than 185. Further cosmetic improvements, LED rear lights

So 2008 will be facelift 185 - yes it has swirl flaps but as does ANY Volvo D5 with a Euro 4 engine - V50, V70, S60 etc. sometimes gives trouble but many engines go full life with no issues.

Watch out for high road tax though...
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 9th, 2021 at 17:45.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tannaton For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 17:42   #7
john langrick
Master Member

Hi, from an 03xc90 owner I agree.

It is not the bevel gear but the small splined shaft that fails. This was updated for many 06 onwards models but the shaft can still fail as you will see evidenced by later model owners on this forum. Mine had failed a couple of years ago and the replacement is the uprated shaft.

My previous volvo was an ex police persuit car with 238bhp v70. Although a tad faster acceleration, I experience little difference in overall power. I also tow but use a four wheel trailer when I do, often with another car or boat on it. I have never experienced lack of power, but it is a heavy old lump.

I also never had leaking skuttle but have had leaky sunroof drains due to failed neoprene drain pipe.

But I never had dpf issues! something I read much more more about. But then perhaps most spline drives are fixed or owners don't care in any case. Again my suggestion is to get a model with the options you value but be prepared for more expensive fixed based on a heavy and much more expensive car, whatever year. Mine has all the 'fruit' and with these oprio s just under £60k. But most of all clean inside and out with proven service history.

When these cars get older, there are some owners who just get rid rather than fixing problems that have hung around for years. Read mot history, a good sign that an owner is fixing problems.

I will go electric when I do change, but after four years just imagine how much depreciation I have saved with my old lump.

Best advice whatever with any volvo, invest in a good diagnostic tool such as vida and keep reading the forums!

John L

Last edited by john langrick; Apr 9th, 2021 at 18:00.
john langrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to john langrick For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 17:44   #8
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmonag View Post
Oooooo....not true.
The 163hp is a sweetie!
No swirls flaps or DPF. Probably smoother than the later engines. Not lacking in power though for most situations. I use mine for towing a BIG caravan (1.85t) with no problems at all.
The splined sleeve issue in the bevel gear only applies to MY2003/2004 and most (if not all) have been fixed by now.
The 2005 163hp is at a sweet spot!
^^^^^^^^^^ that!
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 14:06   #9
tonygreen1966

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting a replacement for my 2004 D5. I've seen a 2011 XC90 2.4 D5. It's an R design 200. registered June 2011.

Is this the model without DPF issues? Any other issues I should be concerned about?
Anybody know how much the road tax is?
Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tony
tonygreen1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2021, 22:55   #10
owenfackrell
Premier Member

The road tax (VED) was lower from around 2008 after Volvo made some changes to get the emissions down. The 200bhp is definitely lower, I pay the same £28odd a month for our 2012 as I did for our manual 2005 car. They do have a dpf but I’ve not had any issues as yet but do do a mix of driving with very little, if any, stop start. The feel of the engine is similar it feels more flexible than the older 163. Otherwise they feel very similar overall. Our neighbour also went from a 54 plate to a 2012.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post: