Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stop/Start system not working

Views : 2672

Replies : 26

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 10th, 2021, 16:23   #21
Friendly

My wife has a Mini with stop/start. A couple of winters ago I noticed it wasn’t working. When it went in for a service they checked it and said it was because the battery did not have enough charge.

They charged it overnight and it worked only for the next few days. The car is mainly used for short journeys.

I then told them to fix it under warranty and they refused saying that a new battery was needed due to incorrect usage! Following a complaint to the service manager they gave me a good will contribution but I still had to put about £20 towards it.

Since then I put it on a smart charger about once a month and it has always worked.

To the OP - your battery probably needs replacement. If you do get it replaced I would recommend charging every so often.
Friendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 16:48   #22
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

No it’s not right and should be fixed under Warrenty (unless the battery is failing).

Only comment I would have (I do check on my 2012 battery etc) is that my xc is on its original battery 9 years later but for at least the last three years the battery does not maintain peak charge and I do get errors flash up on it at start which I believe to be due to the low battery voltage. Especially given that this rarely but periodically happens at winter but not summer.

I would not be concerned as stop start will literally save you a few pence on long journeys but will put more wear and tear on the engine.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 09:45   #23
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC91 View Post
I personally use an additive because it’s cos5 effect against using premium fuel.... I beli3ve adding additive is the equivalent and yet a lot cheaper.

It supposedl6 improves mpg too.
I just use whatever fuel is cheapest. Doesn't seem to affect the DPF.
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 15:51   #24
crashbarrier

And, as if by magic, the Stop/Start is working again. The car hasn't been driven any more than it has been previously.
I give up!
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 15:24   #25
KNVXC90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNVXC90 View Post
My Stop/Start used to work flawlessly. but the car usage has drasticaly gone down since the beginning of pandemic. I am just beginning to drive a bit more and the Stop/Start is no longer working.

I did drive 2.5 hours to Birmingham and another 2.5 hours back to Chelmsford, but that still didn't help.
Pleased to say, the Stop/Start started working again, after a further 160 mile round trip I dind't think it'll come back to life and thought the battery needed changing.
MY17 XC90 D5 PP P* Inscription, MagicBlue, Amber VentilatedMassage Seats, Birch, Homelink, Winter+HUD, Xenium, 7SeatComfort, Air, 20", Laminated&Tinted, AuxHeater, BLIS, AndroidAuto, B&W, RunningBoards
MY21 Kia e-Niro 4+
Prev: MY02 Mazda 6 TS2

Last edited by KNVXC90; Apr 27th, 2021 at 15:27.
KNVXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KNVXC90 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 16:19   #26
EssexExile
Master Member

We went away last week, after about 100 miles it started working. Then it stopped again!
Old Apr 27th, 2021, 18:00   #27
shagaboopon

I had the car for a month having never had stop start work. Went for a 2 hour drive to the coast and on the return journey it started working. I think its just poor battery condition that causes most issues.
shagaboopon is offline   Reply With Quote