Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

“Road wheel slightly distorted” MOT advisory

Views : 10498

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:35   #21
MGSheff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volbo View Post
Thanks. I wasn’t suggesting it was incorrect, just that the advisory could cover a variety of issues from very minor to something more serious, depending on the MOT tester, so it’s definitely worth investigating. It’s the nearside rear.
A rear wheel failing or deflating at speed is more serious than a front wheel. A rear wheel failing will lead to an oversteer skid whereas a front wheel failing will lead to an understeer skid.
An oversteer skid is less controllable than an understeer one.
Your next step is to gauge how serious the distortion is. That will determine your subsequent actions. Have you seen the distortion? The MOT examiner will most likely have spotted it with his eyes.

Do you have steel wheels or alloy wheels. Depending on what the distortion is a steel may be more easy to fix.
MGSheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 16:15   #22
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

If it's an advisory I wouldn't have a panic attack over it right now but would definitely want to get it sorted at the earliest opportunity.
I had a distorted wheel on my V70, only really noticed it when driving away from home in the quiet of the middle of the night it sounded like someone in slippers running alongside the car, the longer term problem would be odd wear on tyres, bearings and joints, and possibly trouble keeping the tyre properly inflated.
I had mine straightened by Precision-Welding in Northampton, they only straighten wheels they don't do a full refurb paint etc, they were extremely helpful and did do a 'while you wait' service, not sure how they are working at the moment with Covid but click the link and see for yourself.
I have found ebay to be useful in the past for replacing a wheel that was too far gone although you're relying on someone having one to sell and to some extent how good or bad their wheel is (the ones I've had have all been OK but secondhand), if you go to Volvo for one be prepared to open your wallet rather wide.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 20:00   #23
The Thong
VOC Member

What wheel type is it?
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 21:42   #24
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense. It’s a bit of a concern if MOT testers effectively say ‘Don’t know, guv’ so often. I thought the purpose of the MOT was to confirm the roadworthiness of the car, not just have a vague stab at it!

Still, I suppose they also flag if child seats were fitted, implying they couldn’t check other things around them - seatbelts, presumably - which no doubt is down to the risk of a child seat being incorrectly refitted, a child subsequently being injured and a big lawsuit ensuing...
Its all to cover their back yes. So if a part fails underneath a cover after the car has been MOT'd & you had an advisory saying "Engine covers and undertrays fitted"... there's not much point going back to the garage that MOT'd the car kicking up a fuss because they're simply telling you that nothing underneath that cover was inspected, simply because they aren't allowed to take it off.

So in a nice way, they're effectively telling you that "there could be a problem underneath the undertray/cover, but we haven't seen it because we aren't allowed to take it off"

If a part fails that should be checked on the MOT (lets say you had a bald tyre, or brake pads were totally worn for example), but wasn't picked up on/advised on your MOT printout, then you could go back to the garage that did the test.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 7th, 2021 at 21:46.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 21:56   #25
Auto Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I've never comes across an advisory like that before on any car I've owned. A quick search through Google seems to suggest that this is mentioned when the alloy is cracked, buckled/has flat spots.

Is there any chance you could take the car back to the place that MOT'd it, assuming its been done recently & maybe the tester could explain it in more detail?

I wouldn't ignore it. Its something that needs to be looked at... you probably need a new alloy, or buy a second hand one as a replacement (in good condition).

I suspect the alloy is causing a lot of the vibration, but mismatched/ancient tyres won't help that either. Make sure you get the tyres balanced too.
If the wheel was found to be cracked during an MOT inspection (like a lot of BMW wheels with Run Flat tyres do) it would be an instant FAIL. More often than not an advisory is for a flat spot to the inner/outer rim usually caused by hitting a pothole. As long as it's not cracked is just a FYI advisory.
2018 VW Golf R DSG
Auto Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 22:34   #26
S60RDesign

My second car (Mini Coupe) has a slightly distorted wheel and has received advisories in the past but not always. You can notice it when it’s up on jacks but my main dealer said in this case it’s nothing to worry about - if it’s affecting my car it must be to a tiny extent as I can’t feel it at all. Worth speaking to a good local wheel refurbisher and see if it’s worth repairing. It might not cost a lot to do it.
S60RDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 22:40   #27
Volbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGSheff View Post
A rear wheel failing or deflating at speed is more serious than a front wheel. A rear wheel failing will lead to an oversteer skid whereas a front wheel failing will lead to an understeer skid.
An oversteer skid is less controllable than an understeer one.
Your next step is to gauge how serious the distortion is. That will determine your subsequent actions. Have you seen the distortion? The MOT examiner will most likely have spotted it with his eyes.

Do you have steel wheels or alloy wheels. Depending on what the distortion is a steel may be more easy to fix.
I have 17-inch Orpheus alloys. I’m having the wheels off tomorrow to get brakes fitted, so will have a good look at the inner faces of the alloys, provided that garage don’t turf me out.

I haven’t noticed any obvious distortion, loss of air or anything like that...Hoping to pick up a distortion-free wheel tomorrow, since that’s cheaper than getting the existing one straightened.
Volbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Volbo For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 22:48   #28
Volbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
If it's an advisory I wouldn't have a panic attack over it right now but would definitely want to get it sorted at the earliest opportunity.
I had a distorted wheel on my V70, only really noticed it when driving away from home in the quiet of the middle of the night it sounded like someone in slippers running alongside the car, the longer term problem would be odd wear on tyres, bearings and joints, and possibly trouble keeping the tyre properly inflated.
I had mine straightened by Precision-Welding in Northampton, they only straighten wheels they don't do a full refurb paint etc, they were extremely helpful and did do a 'while you wait' service, not sure how they are working at the moment with Covid but click the link and see for yourself.
I have found ebay to be useful in the past for replacing a wheel that was too far gone although you're relying on someone having one to sell and to some extent how good or bad their wheel is (the ones I've had have all been OK but secondhand), if you go to Volvo for one be prepared to open your wallet rather wide.
Thanks. I can’t say I’ve noticed any particular noise from the wheel. Doesn’t quite track exactly straight, but that could as much be down to the ancient tyres and odd tyre on the rear axle - or simply being out of alignment.

I have found a few single alloys at reputable places that should be distortion-free. At sub-£100 it’s probably cheaper than straightening the current one, judging by the refurb place I contacted.

Not sure how much I trust a wheel that was bent out of shape and then bent back into shape as well either...maybe that’s just me being paranoid, though, since any used wheel you get may have been straightened!
Volbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 14:29   #29
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
I have found a few single alloys at reputable places that should be distortion-free. At sub-£100 it’s probably cheaper than straightening the current one, judging by the refurb place I contacted.
I can't remember what I paid for straightening but not £100, the added problem I had was that my wheels are Volvo Aries which were an option on the 240/740/940 and there are very few left, but if you can find a good replacement for yours at a good price it would be more convenient.

Quote:
Not sure how much I trust a wheel that was bent out of shape and then bent back into shape as well either...maybe that’s just me being paranoid, though, since any used wheel you get may have been straightened!
That was an advantage of using Precision Welding as their business is primarily engineering so they understand issues like strength of repairs and they can do some major repairs, heating, welding and machining as necessary, much like one might have a broken or rusted chassis repaired. They were recommended to me by the place I get my tyres done, some of the 'refurb' companies are little more than painters and polishers so I wouldn't trust them to 'straighten' a wheel probably by whacking it with a lump hammer.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post: