Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Aircon blowers will not turn off

Views : 1327

Replies : 11

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 10:21   #1
Mtagrant

Default Aircon blowers will not turn off

Hi Everyone,

I am looking for some advice on a problem that has occurred on my wife’s Volvo XC60 from 2015.

Switch of the engine, and the air blowers inside the car are still running. This continues even once the key is removed and the doors are locked
It drained the battery on Thursday night, and I managed to jump start it (took some time), and drove down to our local garage to take a look.

Googling this, it appears to have been a problem on Volvos for the last 10 years at least, and they haven’t fixed it. The threads I have seen on here look to be quite old, and I couldn’t find any definitive fixes to it (apologies if I have missed an obvious one in the search)

The local garage is not able to diagnose properly it seems having spoken to them this morning, but they have suggested changing the heating resister, at a cost of around £220 including fitting. If this were guaranteed to fix then I would go ahead with it, but they are just guessing.

Before I pick the car up and drop off at the main dealer, has anyone any experience of this, and if so any advice on resolution ?

Thanks in advance
Mtagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 11:23   #2
ridax

This is not exactly a design flaw, nor unique to Volvo. The blower resistor frequently fails in other cars the same way. I am only a little wondering why the fan is connected so it has power even when car key has turned off other stuff, but it is.

It is 99% the blower resistor. It costs around £40 from online stores and can be changed on your own, but it is very tight and uncomfortable. Slightly easier on UK cars than left side driven cars I would guess.
ridax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:27   #3
Mtagrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridax View Post
This is not exactly a design flaw, nor unique to Volvo. The blower resistor frequently fails in other cars the same way. I am only a little wondering why the fan is connected so it has power even when car key has turned off other stuff, but it is.

It is 99% the blower resistor. It costs around £40 from online stores and can be changed on your own, but it is very tight and uncomfortable. Slightly easier on UK cars than left side driven cars I would guess.
Thanks for your response. I am being told the heater resistor, but do you know if this is the same as the blower resistor ? This is the one they are quoting a lot higher than £40. They said £120 for the part only
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 13:09   #4
ridax

If you go to the online stores and look for parts compatible with Volvo 30767040 you will find prices around £40.

It is the same part we are talking about.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/30767040.html

Last edited by ridax; Apr 6th, 2021 at 13:17.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 13:34   #5
Mtagrant

Quote:
If you go to the online stores and look for parts compatible with Volvo 30767040 you will find prices around £40.

It is the same part we are talking about.

https://www.onlinecarparts.co.uk/oenumber/30767040.html
Fantastic - thank you
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 14:14   #6
ridax

If you plan to do it yourself, let me know.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 16:50   #7
Mtagrant

Quote:
If you plan to do it yourself, let me know.
Based on what I have learned so far, I think I will get a garage to do it rather than attempt myself, and end up having to send it in anyway
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 17:12   #8
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Just make sure it’s not the same concern I had.

My XC90 blows air however has never made the 9 years old 110,000 battery flat.

I googled it and found volvo use ‘after blow’ on the air conditioning which cycles the air on a short period after using the ventilation. If you go out 15 minutes later it turns off.

I did quite a bit of Googling at the time as to me it appears like an amazingly stupid thing to do or design!!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 18:18   #9
Mtagrant

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
Just make sure it’s not the same concern I had.

My XC90 blows air however has never made the 9 years old 110,000 battery flat.

I googled it and found volvo use ‘after blow’ on the air conditioning which cycles the air on a short period after using the ventilation. If you go out 15 minutes later it turns off.

I did quite a bit of Googling at the time as to me it appears like an amazingly stupid thing to do or design!!
I did wonder if that was a ‘design feature’ and checked after an hour or two and was still blowing. We have had the car for a few years, and never noticed it, so it is a problem that needs fixing
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 18:30   #10
ridax

I assume it also started directly when junp starting it, and usually at full speed?
The Following User Says Thank You to ridax For This Useful Post: