Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Does anyone know what this noise is?

Views : 888

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 21:50   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
if you remove the adjusters you'll need the original spacers to replace them with, which I'm assuming he ditched. from my measurements the adjusters being wound right in gives the same spacing (or near enough) as the original spacer bar

I'm a bit confused though. I'm not doubting for a minute the wealth of experience Clan has but the handbrake is nowhere NEAR locked up on 2 clicks on my car. if I get that tight I have drag on the rear wheels when handbrake 'released'

the A1 auto woman (for whatever that's worth..) says 6 clicks. I'm locked up on 5 clicks unless downhill and in D in which case, 6 clicks.

that's with Volvo shoes, Brembo discs, all new, new cables, new springs.. the only thing I haven't replaced is the first cable attached to the handbrake lever itself which I can't imaging getting stretched because it's so fat

do you think there's something wrong with mine then, because other than the idea that it should work on 2 clicks it otherwise seems totally fine
I could maybe make it 4 clicks but I'd be worried about the drag. and I did have to wind my adjuster out slightly on the passenger side to get the two wheels to lock up evenly

before I touched them it was also 6 clicks (Well, 7 at first but I tightened it up after watching A1 auto)
The original spacer bar keeps the shoes square to the drum which the non standard "adjuster" does not, so best buy a pair .
Working on them for their entire life ( which goes back to the 140 series in 1969 to when they disappeared from volvo in 2014 ), I have always got them to work effortlessly .. as they were designed to be of course .. Perhaps too many people are using poor quality shoes and neglecting cables these days .. and not bedding the shoes in ... the cars always left me with one click of play and holding nicely on the second click and HARD on with the third click
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 22:13   #12
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

True, I am still in the process of bedding in, so I'll reserve judgement for now on what the final setting will be, but I still can't see it getting anywhere near 2..
Something must either be wrong (and was already wrong before I did anything) or I dunno, maybe there's variation in the dimensions of the drum side of the disc?

cant think of anything else it could be, like I say I've replaced literally everything else. and the adjusters werent fitted before so they can't be to blame for the old settings

besides which Im pretty sure i would hit the limit of the front hand lever adjuster before I get to the possibility of 2 click lock. with the adjusters wound right in, and I suspect also with the original spacers.

just to clarify though when I say 'locked' i mean resists movement when in Drive. not just on a hill

again I'm not saying for a minute that you're wrong, Im trying to work out what would be wrong with mine (working fine, just not as they 'should' be)

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 6th, 2021 at 22:18.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 22:23   #13
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Maybe Im just over thinking it, I guess the main thing is when it passes the MOT or not. if he's happy with it I am too lol

2 clicks, 5 clicks.. lets not lose sleep over it eh

mini project - link
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 07:57   #14
dexter7176

Can anyone tell me if the v70 braking system us the same as the xc70? I presume it is. There's loads of v70 videos to follow I just wanted to make sure they are the same
dexter7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 10:42   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
True, I am still in the process of bedding in, so I'll reserve judgement for now on what the final setting will be, but I still can't see it getting anywhere near 2..
Something must either be wrong (and was already wrong before I did anything) or I dunno, maybe there's variation in the dimensions of the drum side of the disc?

cant think of anything else it could be, like I say I've replaced literally everything else. and the adjusters werent fitted before so they can't be to blame for the old settings

besides which Im pretty sure i would hit the limit of the front hand lever adjuster before I get to the possibility of 2 click lock. with the adjusters wound right in, and I suspect also with the original spacers.

just to clarify though when I say 'locked' i mean resists movement when in Drive. not just on a hill

again I'm not saying for a minute that you're wrong, Im trying to work out what would be wrong with mine (working fine, just not as they 'should' be)
so what is the problem, lack of frictional grip or running out or reserve travel ? what happens when you pull the handbrake at 20 mph ... nothing? ate the inside rubbing surface of the drum perfectly clean and shining like a brake disc? Any sign of rust at all will ruin the performance ..
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 10:54   #16
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

no none of those things are issues, it grips well, I can feel it slowing me down when I pull it

literally the only thing is you said it should lock up at 2 clicks, and mine goes up a lot higher, that's all really

Im not just questioning you, I've heard others say the same but I cant remember who or when, it just makes we wonder what's wrong with mine. and then like I say the A1 auto lady said 6 as well so it can't just be me

everything is brand new so rust definitely not an issue (old ones were quite brown but not now)

it's probably not worth worrying about too much as long as it works I suppose

mini project - link
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:09   #17
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
no none of those things are issues, it grips well, I can feel it slowing me down when I pull it

literally the only thing is you said it should lock up at 2 clicks, and mine goes up a lot higher, that's all really

Im not just questioning you, I've heard others say the same but I cant remember who or when, it just makes we wonder what's wrong with mine. and then like I say the A1 auto lady said 6 as well so it can't just be me

everything is brand new so rust definitely not an issue (old ones were quite brown but not now)

it's probably not worth worrying about too much as long as it works I suppose
it would be interesting to see what the performance is on the MOT brake tester , they always used to ride out of the rollers when I did them... have you bedded the shoes in ? got them hot and let them cool a few times? Genuine volvo shoes ?
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 11:16   #18
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Genuine volvo shoes ?
not at first, but I wasnt happy with them so I did get genuine. they locked up better without the adjusters so some improvement but not really much other than that

continuing to bed in (only fitted within the last month) but my journeys are short and I only remember every now and then

MOT in may, so we'll soon see

mini project - link
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 16:42   #19
Ripmax

I have never owned a volvo in my life that has had a good handbrake.

If you own a volvo with a handbrake that actually works then I think you should try your luck in the euro millions...
2001 Audi A6 C5 Sport Avant 1.9 TDi - 173k
Ripmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 18:41   #20
dexter7176

Alternator, tensioner and belt fitted. Problem sorted, thanks for the help everyone.
dexter7176 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dexter7176 For This Useful Post: