Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

No power to washer pump?

Views : 631

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2021, 21:23   #1
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Default No power to washer pump?

My windscreen washers have stopped working.

I read through the oodles of washer pump posts here and replaced the pump as that seemed the most likely culprit, but unfortunately, it's still not working.

- Upon pulling the stalk, the wipers move but no noise from the pump.
- Double checked washer fuse.
- (Yes, I topped up the screenwash!)
- Not got headlight washers on my car.

So looking like an electrical issue? I believe that means either:
- Fault with stalk
- Fault with CEM, e.g. a relay
- Fault with wiring

But my main question is, does the fact that the wipers still trigger when pulling the stalk to try and activate the washers mean that the stalk is ok? Does it also mean the CEM relay is ok?

Suggestions for likely location of wiring fault appreciated!
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 00:19   #2
clarkey1984
Premier Member

While it doesn't really answer your question, if your rear washer still works then you can switch the pipework around (front and rear use separate pumps) in order to have working front washers again as a workaround temporarily, although you'll obviously have to press the rear wash button to activate it.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 17:24   #3
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkey1984 View Post
if your rear washer still works
S40 unfortunately, so no rear washer! Thanks tho!
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 20:34   #4
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Did some (amateur) electrical diagnostics today.

The connector to the pump has 2 wires, a grey and a black. I believe the black is ground, and I think I managed to locate the other end of the grey wire going into a connector block on the CEM (B2 #14).

I tested for continuity in both wires but didn't get it in either. (For the black wire I tested it from the pump connector to the black wire on the indicator connector as it was handy.)

So it seems both wires have failed somewhere?

As it doesn't look like I can dismantle/replace the connector easily, I'm thinking the next step is to splice new wires in just before the connector using Scotch Lock clips, then test to make sure the connector isn't the problem, and if it's fine, route the new wire appropriately and spice onto the wire just before it goes to the CEM (and splice the ground into a nearby ground).

Does that sound sensible?
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 10:13   #5
gatos
Premier Member

Most common place for those wires to fail is just behind the front part of the front drivers wheel arch.
You can try removing the wheel arch and inspecting to see if there is any damage. If you can't find anything, then yes, you could try running two new wires and see if it works

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 17th, 2021, 22:20   #6
jcwacky
Intermittent Member

Turned out the issue was with the black ground wire disconnecting from where it was crimped to the terminal pin in the connector. Upon trying to remove the pin with a removal tool, I tugged the wire and it just came clean out (without the pin!)

Managed to forcibly remove the pin, and have bodged a working solution by re-crimping it onto an extended ground wire and pushing the now mangled pin back into the connector.

Trying to find replacement pins to sort it properly, but struggling to know what to look for. Closest I've found so far are these: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-x-Juni...3/140938481475