Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1800E Voltage Regulator (?)

Views : 4091

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 18:05   #21
sleek lemur

Still stuck!

New Charge Regulator fitted and....no progress. AMP light remains lit with engine running and voltage reading at battery remains stubbornly at 12.5.

1. I have 12 from the AMP light via the yellow cable to the Charge Regulator. I measured this with the yellow cable disconnected from the Charge Regulator.
2. When I reconnect the yellow wire to the Charge Regulator, the voltage reading drops to about 1.6.
3. I get zero reading at the DF connection on the alternator where the green cable plugs in.

I have checked both connections from the Charge Regulator to the alternator and also double checked the earth. All good. Alternator was bench tested by professional and is fine. I also previously very briefly connected the DF terminal to 12v and the alternator put out 14.5v at the battery.

Am "rather frustrated"!
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 20:59   #22
142 Guy
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleek lemur View Post
Still stuck!

New Charge Regulator fitted and....no progress. AMP light remains lit with engine running and voltage reading at battery remains stubbornly at 12.5.

1. I have 12 from the AMP light via the yellow cable to the Charge Regulator. I measured this with the yellow cable disconnected from the Charge Regulator.
2. When I reconnect the yellow wire to the Charge Regulator, the voltage reading drops to about 1.6.
3. I get zero reading at the DF connection on the alternator where the green cable plugs in.

I have checked both connections from the Charge Regulator to the alternator and also double checked the earth. All good. Alternator was bench tested by professional and is fine. I also previously very briefly connected the DF terminal to 12v and the alternator put out 14.5v at the battery.

Am "rather frustrated"!
Indeed frustrating.

I have attached the internal wiring diagram for a Bosch 35 amp alternator. I am going to assume that your Bosch 55 amp alternator is similar or identical.

The voltage regulator supplies voltage to the Df terminal on the alternator and controls this voltage to control the output of the alternator. You have done the full field test (apply 12v to Df ) which indicates that the field winding / rotor (5 in the diagram) and the brushes are OK. The fact that your full field test and the test by the 'shop' worked suggests that the stator winding (1) and the main rectifier diodes (2 and 3) are OK. When the shop tested the alternator and pronounced it OK, I presumed that this also confirmed that the magnetizing diodes were OK.

The voltage regulator gets its power to control the alternator field and measures the alternator voltage via terminal 61/D+ on the alternator. Terminal 61/D+ on the alternator should be connected to the same terminal on the voltage regulator as the yellow wire from the charge indicator light. When you first start up the car, a tiny amount of current flows through the filament of the charge light in the dash to the regulator. The regulator applies this small current to the Df terminal of the alternator which causes the alternator to start producing a small voltage which appears at alternator terminal 61/D. This supplies additional current to 61/D on the voltage regulator which then turns around and supplies this additional current back to the Df terminal on the alternator which raises the voltage on 61/D and around and around we go until the voltage hits around 14 volts and the regulator says 'enough' and starts limiting the current to Df. This is called field flashing or boot strapping the alternator.

In order for the alternator to boot strap itself, it needs that initial little current from the charge light. If you change out the charge light for a LED this will kill the bootstrap current and stop charging. If you change out the charge light for a filament bulb with a lower wattage this will reduce the bootstrap current and boot strapping can become hit and miss. The fact that you measure 12 v at the regulator end of the yellow wire when it is disconnected suggests that the charge light / boot strap circuit up to the voltage regulator appears to be intact.

In order for the alternator to complete the boot strap process, it needs the feed back from the alternator 61/D terminal back to the regulator 61/D terminal. So, three possible problems:

1- The wire from D61 on the regulator to 61/D on the alternator is open circuit. When you checked and got 1.6 volts on the end of the yellow wire connected to the voltage regulator check to confirm that you are also getting 1.6 volts at the alternator. This would indicate that the wire from 61/D on the alternator is connected to 61/D on the voltage regulator
2- There is a broken internal connection between the 61/D terminal on the back of the alternator and the internal magnetizing diodes (4 on the diagram). I would have expected that the shop would have confirmed that this circuit was working when they did their tests.
3 - one or more of the internal magnetizing diodes is dead or has a bad internal connection. I would have expected that the shop would have confirmed that the diodes were working when they did their tests.

Note, that if the yellow 61/D wire ever came into contact with ground when the engine was running this would have created a dead short across the magnetizing diodes likely cooking them.

Since you are already familiar with the full field test where you apply +12v briefly to the Df terminal on the alternator, I am going to suggest that you repeat this test. However, this time disconnect the wires to both the 61/D and Df terminals on the alternator. Rather than measure voltage at the battery, this time set up your voltmeter to measure the voltage between 61/D and ground when you do the full field test (with the engine running). When you apply 12v to Df, you should see the voltage rise on the 61/D terminal just like the battery voltage / B+ terminal did. If the 61/D terminal voltage does not rise that is an indication that there is an internal problem with the 61/D circuit in the alternator. If the terminal voltage on 61/D does rise up then I really don't know what is going on and I am going to stop talking!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alternator.jpg (29.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by 142 Guy; Apr 3rd, 2021 at 21:08.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 00:55   #23
sleek lemur

Phew! Thank you very much, 142. I will carefully follow your analysis and report back.
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 14:09   #24
blueosprey90
Master Member

My sympathies are with you. I've had to pull my engine three times to try to resolve a clutch issue and I'm still not sure it is fixed. Frustrations abound.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 23:04   #25
sleek lemur

Gawd. Sorry Blue Osprey. Clutch problems. I remember pulling the gearbox three times from my TR5 on the roadside outside my bedsit.

Yet it's still the best hobby, somehow!
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 00:09   #26
sleek lemur

Time to 'fess up.

I had the green exciter cable and the earth cables switched at the regulator. This must have happened when I was pulling the FI loom from the car. Although I have no recollection of ever touching the regulator, it is in the same area as part of the FI loom. I must have disturbed it and absent-mindedly reconnected incorrectly.

All good now..

I think I owe you all (especially 142Guy) an apology.

Sleek "Red Face" Lemur.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 06:27   #27
blueosprey90
Master Member

Well, we all learned something anyway.

When I was younger, I used to go to court on Monday mornings. And all the people arrested over the weekend would be in the cage awaiting arraignment and their bond hearings. They would be called out one by one, their story presented and their bond set.

One morning, there was a big Hell's Angel kind of a guy in the cage - all beat up, and a little guy in a business suit - all beat up - sitting at opposite ends of the cage. And then they brought in the girl, kind of cute, but all beat up. (They didn't keep the girls in the cage!)

So the little guy in the business suit was in town from out of state on business. He met the girl in a bar, they had a few drinks and then went back to her place.

They were in bed together, when the ex-boyfriend arrived in the middle of the night to make up with his girlfriend.

Well, one thing led to another, and when he realized what was going on, he broke down the door and rushed in and he pulled the little businessman out from under the bed where he was trying to hide. And while he was pounding on the little guy, the girl jumped on top of the brute with a choke hold and to take a big bite out of his arm and they all tumbled down the stairs together.

Well, someone called the police and they were all arrested for assault, criminal trespass, disturbing the peace, unnecessary biting and the like. The big guy and the girl both had local jobs and family, so their bonds were set very low. But the little businessman from out of state had no local connections and given the seriousness of the charges, was deemed a flight risk. His bond was set at $10,000.

Of course, he didn't have that kind of cash in his wallet.

So he was kept in jail and had to call his employer - and worse yet, his wife - to explain that he was in jail and to ask them to send the bond money so he could be released. OK, so maybe you can explain it to your employer. But to your wife? Can you imagine?

In any event, it's nice when we learn a small, yet valuable lesson at someone else's expense.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Apr 6th, 2021 at 06:30.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 09:56   #28
sleek lemur

Ha ha!, B.O.

And at least between us all, we have produced the definitive "test and trace" handbook for charging issues.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 17:09   #29
142 Guy
Master Member

Happy to hear that the problem is resolved. Also happy that you disclosed the mia culpa because I was starting to wonder 'what am I missing'.
142 Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 142 Guy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 21:24   #30
sleek lemur

Next time I have an electrical issue, I shall seek medical help!