Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2011 V50 R-Design D4

Views : 1144

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 29th, 2021, 13:31   #11
Japster

Pics of Front Brake Calipers and discs
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1386.jpg (136.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1387.jpg (161.2 KB, 18 views)
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 14:06   #12
sda2489

They look substantial...

Have you measured them?
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 14:09   #13
sda2489

Pretty confident they are 320mm.

That caliper is for the big discs.

The smaller disc size comes with a different style caliper.
sda2489 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sda2489 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 15:14   #14
LizardOfBodom
WowIcanwriteAnythingHere!

+1 to above, that square notch is on 320mm calipers, 302mm ones had the semi-arched notch.
The Following User Says Thank You to LizardOfBodom For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 29th, 2021, 16:14   #15
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

If changing these pads on the 320mm discs, do be careful when removing the caliper retaining clip as it can ping out and crack you in the face if you aren't paying attention. It's not like the normal rattle spring that the 300mm calipers have.

At 0:09 in this video shows removal of the retaining clip.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by T5R92011; Mar 29th, 2021 at 16:19.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 23:48   #16
Japster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgl2020 View Post
Twanging can also be a seized top mount on the strut..... this should turn smoothly when steering but if seized will go in a series of notches accompanied with said twang!

Can be checked if you jack the front up and try turning the wheel.
Jacked it up today and took the wheels off, I have two busted front springs, right at the bottom on both sides. Damn

Also nearside shock looks like it’s starting to leak.
Might be cheaper for me to replace both struts. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 15:50   #17
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japster View Post
Jacked it up today and took the wheels off, I have two busted front springs, right at the bottom on both sides. Damn

Also nearside shock looks like it’s starting to leak.
Might be cheaper for me to replace both struts. Any suggestions?
You should replace struts in pairs anyway, otherwise you'll end up with a lob sided car! If one side is leaking, chances are the other one is probably worn too.

So your best bet is replace both struts (one is leaking anyway) & replace both the springs because they're knackered. Also, if going to all the trouble of replacing the shocks & springs, you might as well replace the upper bearings & spring seats. There's no point putting worn ones back onto a new shock/spring assembly.

As for shock absorber brands, Bilstein are decent if you want aftermarket. Volvo originals are pricey (I think the brand is Sachs with a Volvo badge), but they'll offer a comfier ride than the Bilstein... Not that Bilstein are uncomfortable, but they're firmer than originals fitted to Volvo.

With regards to spring seats & bearings, Corteco & Febi are good options.
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 19:29   #18
Japster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
You should replace struts in pairs anyway, otherwise you'll end up with a lob sided car! If one side is leaking, chances are the other one is probably worn too.

So your best bet is replace both struts (one is leaking anyway) & replace both the springs because they're knackered. Also, if going to all the trouble of replacing the shocks & springs, you might as well replace the upper bearings & spring seats. There's no point putting worn ones back onto a new shock/spring assembly.

As for shock absorber brands, Bilstein are decent if you want aftermarket. Volvo originals are pricey (I think the brand is Sachs with a Volvo badge), but they'll offer a comfier ride than the Bilstein... Not that Bilstein are uncomfortable, but they're firmer than originals fitted to Volvo.

With regards to spring seats & bearings, Corteco & Febi are good options.
Thanks for the advice on the springs/shocks, I suspected the top mount bearings anyway so would be looking to replace the whole units.

If I were to get a lowering set say -25mm would I need to change anything else other than the struts and rear spring/shocks?

Cheers
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 20:44   #19
andy_d
Premier Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice on the springs/shocks, I suspected the top mount bearings anyway so would be looking to replace the whole units.

If I were to get a lowering set say -25mm would I need to change anything else other than the struts and rear spring/shocks?

Cheers
yeps invest in tin plate jeans,, given the shocking state of the tarmac between the potholes and the "speed humps" that will take out the undercarriage of the car :P
Also check that your Jack will still Fit under the car with it a inch lower,, or factor in the £ of buying a brand new low profile jack
(go on ask me how i know that one,,,)

you'd be advised to go and get a Full 4wheel alignment done properly on something like (or very similar to) a "hunter 4wheel alignment" system With an operator who knows his a** from his elbow,, (do not trust Kwickbuggeritup/halfrauds as there reps speak for them) once you have replaced whatever it is your replacing
The Following User Says Thank You to andy_d For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 20:57   #20
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:

Cheers
I don't know about whether there's anything else you'd need. I'm not a fan of lowering cars... not my cup of tea. No offence to those that have though!

As mentioned above by andy, you should get the car aligned after fitting shocks & springs though (four wheel alignment).

Tags
v50 d4