Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Orange Care Key

Views : 3732

Replies : 22

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 1st, 2021, 17:06   #1
sdrennan

Default Orange Care Key

Just got my new V90 Momentum yesterday (Replacing my 3 year old one)
One major advantage is that the car now has electric Drivers seat with Memory. Really looking forward to this bit as my wife is 4'9" and I am 6'2"

Managed to use the key and save my profile but the other key they give you is the orange "Care" key and I cannot save to a profile.

If she sets up the car using the Orange key then the settings will stay the same when she opens next time but if I have to drive when using her key then we cannot get it back to the same settings without all the adjusting

Am I missing something?
sdrennan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sdrennan For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 17:51   #2
Polestar Pete
Polestar

I think you're supposed to have two "normal" keys, so where's the other one?

The red key is intended to be used by guests.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 18:02   #3
familymangreg
Premier Member

No, I think this is right, its something that annoys me a bit with my new car.

So with my previous XC90 I got two keys plus the activity key. With the new car I've got 1 normal key, one orange key and an activity key. The orange key as far as I can tell is next to useless, its there for the rare occasion that someone else drives my car and I don't want them to have the normal key (which I've always been happy for them to have in the past). I thought I could just use the orange key like a normal key, as I quite like the colour, but no, it can't be assigned to a driver profile, so no setting can be saved against it. I'm just going to have to use the normal key and the activity key, the activity key I like, but you can't use it to light the car when you're approaching in the dark etc..

Essentially, you only get one key now, and a waste of time orange key. I know you can buy additional keys, but I'm imagining they are not cheap, anyone know?

:wq
The Following User Says Thank You to familymangreg For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 18:10   #4
Polestar Pete
Polestar

Jeez. So this makes a mockery of assigning profiles to keys unless you buy another key.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 19:30   #5
Capt109

Speak to the supplying dealer, I got another standard key (no leather cover) as I raised it with the salesman during handover at a reduced price.
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 19:37   #6
Cull06
Master Member

Can’t you manually choose a different profile in sensus then? When using orange key?
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 19:52   #7
familymangreg
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Can’t you manually choose a different profile in sensus then? When using orange key?
No I don’t believe so. Think it may be to prevent the orange key user accessing any profile for Spotify login etc stored under real profiles. It’s a waste of time, why Volvo should think it’s a necessity I shall never know.

Old Apr 1st, 2021, 20:38   #8
js90
VOC Member

It's just another one of their 'please stop dying in Volvos' strategies. I remember reading something in their blurb about it being for younger/inexperienced drivers as you can also set a speed limiter on that key.

They just don't want people who are unfamiliar with the cars doing something daft, crashing and being killed or seriously injured.
js90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1st, 2021, 23:18   #9
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by familymangreg View Post
No, I think this is right, its something that annoys me a bit with my new car.

So with my previous XC90 I got two keys plus the activity key. With the new car I've got 1 normal key, one orange key and an activity key. The orange key as far as I can tell is next to useless, its there for the rare occasion that someone else drives my car and I don't want them to have the normal key (which I've always been happy for them to have in the past). I thought I could just use the orange key like a normal key, as I quite like the colour, but no, it can't be assigned to a driver profile, so no setting can be saved against it. I'm just going to have to use the normal key and the activity key, the activity key I like, but you can't use it to light the car when you're approaching in the dark etc..

Essentially, you only get one key now, and a waste of time orange key. I know you can buy additional keys, but I'm imagining they are not cheap, anyone know?

Yep, this is correct and we had the same problem. The orange key is essentially useless. The activity key WILL accept a driver profile but the activity key is designed to be sealed and the battery cannot easily be changed so that's not a long term solution.

You can buy a new key - my dealer quoted [drum roll...] £375

Cue the dealer having a bit of a think. A fair chunk of that cost is for a new key blade. However the key blade from the orange key can be swapped to the new key. Also there's a non-leather covered key available. Add a bit of discount for being a loyal customer and I think I paid c.£165 for the new key.
Old Apr 2nd, 2021, 02:31   #10
Director76
Master Member

MY21.5 XC90 - you don’t even get the activity key anymore, just one proper one and the orange one.

Saving lives? Saving money more like...
Director76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Director76 For This Useful Post:

Tags
care, orange