Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Nivomat Rear Shock Absorbers - 850CD

Views : 2374

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 8th, 2021, 15:29   #11
turboboy
Master Member

Default Nivomats

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffbiker View Post
@turboboy:

Yes, there are suspension and shock absorber codes on the main ID plate, the same plate as the VIN but the right hand column, fifth down. It is a collection of seven letters. The rear shock absorber code is fourth from the left (also fourth from the right), the rear spring is fifth from the left (third from the right).

My understanding for an 850 (and presumably P80 chassis V70 Ph1) is there are different components to swap out a Nivomat for standard suspension. The Rear Shock Upper Mount Support Plate is different as I think are the two flange bolts holding it. The spring itself is different of course, and its bottom retainer plate and coned 'helper spring' (inside the spring coils) and upper mount might be different as well (or not fitted / fitted). You really need to check it with a main Volvo dealership spares dept.

Hope this helps. Best. RB

Link to ID Plate Location and Decoder
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/PlateLocation.pdf

Many thanks for this. very helpful. Will have a look at the info when I get a moment and the weather is a bit warmer. (Currently acting as family chauffeur/unpaid Uber).

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8th, 2021, 15:50   #12
Luxobarge
Premier Member

FYI - you probably know this, but PFS Online sell a conversion kit with all the bits you'd need.

https://www.partsforvolvosonline.com...p?cPath=2_1226

£236, but still a lot cheaper than new Nivos - your call, I know I'd prefer to retain the self-levelling capability, but it's at a cost!
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 11:59   #13
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

Me? I don't get the choice. Most of you do.

As I said I've hoarded two new sets of Nivomat, and used springs. Broadly because running a Bifuel, weight of my tank et al... these where stock fitment with good reason.

They're the best, and not as some would have it, caravan use biased. I paid £300 for all four 'boxed', but at current prices I'd be rushed £2200ish for these again. i unloaded my secondary used sets on eBay a while back.

They're good, but at £500+ a corner, if you've a choice, and non Bi-fuel owners have - I don't think I'd pay it. But if you've the cash, do it.

Nivomats have a differing top-mount, and springs. I've heard of springs going, so look after yours with a coat of paint. Springs are NLA.

They do silly miles and the secret to this is the dirt can't get to seals- look after the bellows, once the bellows go...

See pix, I've used motorcycle gaiters and attempted Mini Steering-rack gaiters. Suggest you buy the Volvo part 1387105, Catch 'em now.
Pix...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My New Nivomat 8626028 Apr 2016 01.jpg (163.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg MyNivomatsFromHH.jpg (374.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: gif Nivomat.gif (301.5 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Mar 14th, 2021 at 12:16.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CNGBiFuel For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 21st, 2021, 17:27   #14
turboboy
Master Member

Default Rear Suspension Codes

Quote:
@turboboy:

Yes, there are suspension and shock absorber codes on the main ID plate, the same plate as the VIN but the right hand column, fifth down. It is a collection of seven letters. The rear shock absorber code is fourth from the left (also fourth from the right), the rear spring is fifth from the left (third from the right).

My understanding for an 850 (and presumably P80 chassis V70 Ph1) is there are different components to swap out a Nivomat for standard suspension. The Rear Shock Upper Mount Support Plate is different as I think are the two flange bolts holding it. The spring itself is different of course, and its bottom retainer plate and coned 'helper spring' (inside the spring coils) and upper mount might be different as well (or not fitted / fitted). You really need to check it with a main Volvo dealership spares dept.

Hope this helps. Best. RB

Link to ID Plate Location and Decoder
https://www.volvoclub.org.uk/tech/PlateLocation.pdf
Well I finally got around to looking at the ID plate and the two codes are "E' and "V" for Shock and Spring.

Does anyone know what these mean? I have had no luck searching as it appears that you need a dealer level computer system to decode to part numbers. My local dealer is friendly but they do stare blankly at each other when you ask a question about "old" volvos.

Have checked and confirmed that the current set-up is conventional, but wonder if the car had been converted from Nivomats by a previous owner.

Last edited by turboboy; Mar 21st, 2021 at 17:30. Reason: Add information
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 13:53   #15
riffbiker

@Turboboy:

Re: "I finally got around to looking at the ID plate and the two codes are "E' and "V" for Shock and Spring."

Might I suggest you double check your MARKED CODES of E & V, as the only reference to V is for a rear Anti-roll bar. Perhaps you have read one digit too far to the right? Check my PDF link above.

I have checked my Model 850 to 1997 microfiche and provide below the ONLY references to MARKED E and V, which correlate to Volvo OE part numbers, which might be superseded.

# 3546335-5 | Rear spring | STD 5DRS -1993 MARKED E
# 271832-8 | Shock absorber kit | MARKED E
# 9140203-2 | Anti-roll bar | MARKED V

My own notes: None of the above make reference to NIVOMAT, which other marked codes do make reference to. A shock absorber kit (which might or might not be Nivomat) includes the upper and lower mounting nuts and washer. I note you drive a V70 T5 Phase 1, so that will be lowered and stiffened suspension.

You really DO need your friendly official Volvo Parts person to check these for you - but only if you actually need to buy the parts. They will have access to cross-references and Classic Catalogues that I do not have.

Not sure I have been of much help.

Kind Regards, RB
riffbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 13:23   #16
turboboy
Master Member

Quote:
@Turboboy:

Re: "I finally got around to looking at the ID plate and the two codes are "E' and "V" for Shock and Spring."

Might I suggest you double check your MARKED CODES of E & V, as the only reference to V is for a rear Anti-roll bar. Perhaps you have read one digit too far to the right? Check my PDF link above.

I have checked my Model 850 to 1997 microfiche and provide below the ONLY references to MARKED E and V, which correlate to Volvo OE part numbers, which might be superseded.

# 3546335-5 | Rear spring | STD 5DRS -1993 MARKED E
# 271832-8 | Shock absorber kit | MARKED E
# 9140203-2 | Anti-roll bar | MARKED V

My own notes: None of the above make reference to NIVOMAT, which other marked codes do make reference to. A shock absorber kit (which might or might not be Nivomat) includes the upper and lower mounting nuts and washer. I note you drive a V70 T5 Phase 1, so that will be lowered and stiffened suspension.

You really DO need your friendly official Volvo Parts person to check these for you - but only if you actually need to buy the parts. They will have access to cross-references and Classic Catalogues that I do not have.

Not sure I have been of much help.

Kind Regards, RB
Thanks RB,

The full markings on that line are:- B421EVS4.

I can.t afford / justify the cost of conversion to Nivomats so the only reason for a "translation" in curiosity in that it would be nice to know a bit of history about the car.

Appreciate you taking the time to answer, though.

Kind regards,

Old Apr 7th, 2021, 15:37   #17
riffbiker

@Turboboy:

Your markings 'B421EVS4' do not seem to 'decode' on my microfiche, which as mentioned is for the Model 850. Searching for 'MARKED S' comes up with a 'helper spring', so unfortunately I cannot help you. No problem in my looking and thanks for your thanks.

Kind Regards, RB
The Following User Says Thank You to riffbiker For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 22:06   #18
Tweedle12

I think the S4 final digits could relate to the steering rack.
Tweedle12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tweedle12 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 12:12   #19
CNGBiFuel
Classic P80 1999 BiFuel

To confirm for those that don't know. Nivomat springs differ and seem harder to find. Top-mounts to Nivomats differ too, but are plentiful and cheap.

Ahem... it's the 'shocks' which are the shock. I've a rough, working set + springs - but as with all used parts, you're likely kicking the can down the road.

I wouln't be too frightend of used Nivomat.... provided, before the point of no return, you catch them with new gaiters / bellows. More so, you're pretty safe if you don't drive anyway - ie if you're doing under 12K pa / piffling miles.

Big whoopsies with big zhorst, big brakes. No miles.

Last edited by CNGBiFuel; Apr 8th, 2021 at 12:30.
CNGBiFuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15th, 2022, 19:55   #20
riffbiker

Default NiIVOMATS WANTED (bump)

Just to 'bump' my original question.

About sixteen months has passed since I raised this question and I thank everyone who replied. I am still running my original Nivomats (from manufacture), they still work fine and passed the MOT with no problems. However the one that is misting isn't getting any better, so still looking for a replacement pair.

Does anyone have anything 'good' as a pair that are available and worth considering, please? See my first post in this thread for vehicle details (1996 850, standard ride height).

Thanks! RB