Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General > S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> Wants

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wanted...XC90 T8...

Views : 3514

Replies : 32

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 6th, 2021, 09:45   #1
Guymcc

Default Wanted...XC90 T8...

Hi folks,

Thought I’d put a thread up here.... Starting to look for a second hand XC90 T8.... R-design is top of the list and not silver.... Not too fussed on spec...although would like air suspension, tow bar, 360 camera and family pack (oh and B&W...would be awesome!)...

Looking around 30-50k miles and I’d say around £27k - £35k budget..

Let me know if you’re thinking of selling or handing back a pcp or trading in..

Cheers
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 12:20   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guymcc View Post
Hi folks,

Thought I’d put a thread up here.... Starting to look for a second hand XC90 T8.... R-design is top of the list and not silver.... Not too fussed on spec...although would like air suspension, tow bar, 360 camera and family pack (oh and B&W...would be awesome!)...

Looking around 30-50k miles and I’d say around £27k - £35k budget..

Let me know if you’re thinking of selling or handing back a pcp or trading in..

Cheers
I would buy from the dealer's SELEKT used car scheme with it's comprehensive warranty The T8 is a highly complex car and you don't want to buy someone else's problems , repair bills on these cars is going to be in the 1000's not 100's .....
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 14:50   #3
Guymcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I would buy from the dealer's SELEKT used car scheme with it's comprehensive warranty The T8 is a highly complex car and you don't want to buy someone else's problems , repair bills on these cars is going to be in the 1000's not 100's .....
Yeh that would certainly be my preference, but there are a few 4x4 dealers (Saxton come to mind) that hold a bit of stock, and if the car has been with a Volvo dealer for servicing and then sold to said garage, then i dont think this would be too risky, as i fully intend to take out an extended warranty. Been reading about ERAD etc...
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:09   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Yeh that would certainly be my preference, but there are a few 4x4 dealers (Saxton come to mind) that hold a bit of stock, and if the car has been with a Volvo dealer for servicing and then sold to said garage, then i dont think this would be too risky, as i fully intend to take out an extended warranty. Been reading about ERAD etc...
You must be mad! The only issue I had with mine in the last 4 years and 45,000 was about 2 weeks after I bought the vehicle. The DEM pump in the rear failed. As I bought from volvo they apologised and repaired it fully.

With a T8 the list of £3,000 parts that can fail are mind boggling. And then some! The Volvo Selekt at that prove is worth every penny. All in my opinion of course.

If your budget was 20k then sure, you would need to pound the private and independent ones but at your price point Volvo selekt is probably the best option.

Have you ever (ERAD total failure) tried to claim a £9,000 part from a warranty company. I would be most wary myself. Of course only my own opinion.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to XC90Mk1 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 15:41   #5
Guymcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
You must be mad! The only issue I had with mine in the last 4 years and 45,000 was about 2 weeks after I bought the vehicle. The DEM pump in the rear failed. As I bought from volvo they apologised and repaired it fully.

With a T8 the list of £3,000 parts that can fail are mind boggling. And then some! The Volvo Selekt at that prove is worth every penny. All in my opinion of course.

If your budget was 20k then sure, you would need to pound the private and independent ones but at your price point Volvo selekt is probably the best option.

Have you ever (ERAD total failure) tried to claim a £9,000 part from a warranty company. I would be most wary myself. Of course only my own opinion.
Are you saying mad because only a warranty that a volvo main dealer can give you will cover big bills?
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 22:44   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Are you saying mad because only a warranty that a volvo main dealer can give you will cover big bills?
This isn't really specific to Volvo , ANY make of hybrid is going to be VERY expensive if anything needs repairing ....
If you buy a car with volvo servicing from a volvo dealer rather than some General purpose car sales lot ...you are much more likely to get some help or goodwill from them .
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 00:11   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
I am saying that the selekt warrenty will in essence pay out unlimited funds to make good any problems. When you try to claim £50 from a warrenty company they will do all within their power to wiggle out of it.

I would only buy something as complex as a 400BHP hybrid from a proper approved used scheme at your price point.

If you take out an independent warrenty at £29 a month and 2 weeks later the ERAD goes at £4,500 I would expect a lot of headaches. The issues I have seen with people having a claim then finding their year 6 service was a minor when it should have been a major, or a service stamp is missing or blah blah blah is a lot.

Obviously you won’t get those issues with a selekt warrenty.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 11:36   #8
Guymcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
This isn't really specific to Volvo , ANY make of hybrid is going to be VERY expensive if anything needs repairing ....
If you buy a car with volvo servicing from a volvo dealer rather than some General purpose car sales lot ...you are much more likely to get some help or goodwill from them .
Yeh, I’d definitely agree with you there. Help and goodwill would be easier. I suppose it may come down to what the small print in any warranty is...

The problem is there are very few cars that fall in to what I’m looking for on Volvo selekt.... but are there are many others out there... more than likely with full volvo service history. I’ll certainly be buying one with FVSH.

Out of interest can a ‘selekt warranty’ be bought separately? My main dealer is Arnold Clark Aberdeen, if buying from them, does the car qualify for a selekt warranty?
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 13:48   #9
Cull06
Master Member

You need to ask them mate.

Re xc90mk1’s comments. I do agree re buying selekt if poss as it’s a complicated beast.

But getting one in the right spec and budget makes that more difficult. If I were you I would approach the garage where you’re planning to service the car and ask them about it. Is it a Volvo garage or an independent? They might recommend a warranty and confirm that it’s covered ERAD before, for example.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 18:51   #10
Guymcc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
You need to ask them mate.

Re xc90mk1’s comments. I do agree re buying selekt if poss as it’s a complicated beast.

But getting one in the right spec and budget makes that more difficult. If I were you I would approach the garage where you’re planning to service the car and ask them about it. Is it a Volvo garage or an independent? They might recommend a warranty and confirm that it’s covered ERAD before, for example.
Yeh, thats a good shout... Nothing beats picking up the phone and actually speaking to someone.