Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Underseal

Views : 2528

Replies : 19

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 00:42   #1
morwenna240

Default Underseal

Has anyone used Lanoguard underseal products? A farmer mate sometimes lets his sheep into the home paddock, where most of the implements are. The sheep scratch their backs on ones they can get under, an these bits never go rusty. . .
morwenna240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 10:10   #2
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Have seen them on Facebook but don’t know anyone who uses it. I use Dinitrol products, excellent. I also use a rust converter on anything bare or inside door, chassis etc. Rust converter was once used at our gas terminal on rusty pipes and structures just to slow the rust, years later these are still the same condition.

These folks have a good process to copy or they charge about £700 for a full service: https://preserveprotect.co.uk/
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 14:07   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

Avoid underseal unless the metal is 100% spot on- any rust can just fester:~

Far better products are now available as being mentioned- Bilt Hamber also do a descent range- Dinatrol is good- Wax treatments diluted with clean engine oil for spraying is another.
Good luck
Bob.

Last edited by Bob Meadows; Jan 23rd, 2021 at 14:10.
Bob Meadows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 19:36   #4
morwenna240

Thanks, u 2. My 145 is coming up to "underneath" stage, an so many say use this, use that. Am narrowing down, now. If i can learn how to post pics, i will. Haven't tried yet. It's easy? Right, ok, will have go.
Old Jan 23rd, 2021, 19:50   #5
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
Thanks, u 2. My 145 is coming up to "underneath" stage, an so many say use this, use that. Am narrowing down, now. If i can learn how to post pics, i will. Haven't tried yet. It's easy? Right, ok, will have go.
What kind of restoration are you doing. Full strip down or more like a rolling resto? If a full strip down then there are much better coatings to go onto bare steel.

My 142 was a rolling resto at this stage, I followed the process that I linked you to above except for the rear araches. I stripped them back of underseal and surface rust, rust converter on steel, Jotamastic 87 on all, gravitex and then it also got a coat of Dinitrol when doing all of the underneath.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 12:44   #6
morwenna240

What i'm doing is, whole interior out, except dash an controls, for welding back end, bits at front. Then back to mine, up on blocks, all running gear off, engine /box out. Then clean, remaining underseal off to good original or bare metal as seems required. Then rust converter, then what paint?, then dinitrol? Sound good? Then back together, to paint shop, total respray. Not going concours, just no rust an pretty paint. It'll be everyday pleasure/workhorse.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 13:19   #7
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Jotun’s Jotamastic 87 for the paint. I would use gravitex or Raptor (2k and contains isocyanates) rather that Dinitrol if going to that length. It can then be sprayed with a 2k topcoat if you like. However if you want to use Dinitrol go for 4941 over the Jotamastic.

Also you could use Deox gel to remove all the rust and then just apply Jotamastic 87 over the entire undercarriage. Get the surface as rough and clean as you can and Jotamastic will stick like you know what to a blanket. It can be over coated with anything.

There is a company here that soda blasts cars, that would be a good option if totally stripped. Get them to blast it and paint it. Job is then all done in super quick time.

Last edited by Burdekin; Jan 24th, 2021 at 13:32.
Burdekin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 13:23   #8
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Pics from my Amazon; Jotamastic, gravitex and then 2k Polyurethane topcoat.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 13:29   #9
Burdekin
Chief Bodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by morwenna240 View Post
What i'm doing is, whole interior out, except dash an controls, for welding back end, bits at front. Then back to mine, up on blocks, all running gear off, engine /box out. Then clean, remaining underseal off to good original or bare metal as seems required. Then rust converter, then what paint?, then dinitrol? Sound good? Then back together, to paint shop, total respray. Not going concours, just no rust an pretty paint. It'll be everyday pleasure/workhorse.
A spit or a car roller will make life so much easier. You can but spits pretty cheaply if taking everything off. A roller like mine is good is good when the car is more complete.
Old Jan 24th, 2021, 15:23   #10
morwenna240

Well, u've certainly got rid of all the rust on that one! Ok, i'll get it stripped underneath, an see what looks best, from your options. Is that the gold car?
Thanks so much for the info, between you, Ben an Simon, i shall have a decent car. NEXT !