Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo 2.4 D5 random stalling/cutting out (euro 3)

Views : 1398

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 20:20   #1
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Default Volvo 2.4 D5 random stalling/cutting out (euro 3)

My V70 D5 Euro 3 has been randomly cutting out. Fuel filter replaced, no change.

Symptoms
- Occuring once engine is at operating temperature.
- Engine randomly dies at low speeds or just after pressing the clutch.
- Engine randomly dies when touching accelerator after short spell of sitting at idle speed.
- Engine WILL NOT restart unless you turn the key to position zero first.

Cause/Fix
Bad connection on the plug for the Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor (left side of fuel rail), which i suspect was causing excessive fuel pressure readings at idle, causing the ECU to shutdown the fuel supply.

For perspective, once up to temperature, the car was cutting out 2-3 times per journey on every single journey without fail unless I actively held the revs at a higher rpm than idle, so seems to me the idle fuel pressure reading was the cause (though I never checked this with VIDA, but is what I suspect).

I will also say that my vehicle is very high mileage and has had MANY issues caused by bad connections e.g headlight stopped working. Some lights on center console stopped working, Starter Motor stopped working.

All issues fixed by cleaning the electric terminals/ensuring good connection. I would say that if you intend to run these cars into high mileage then check your electrical connections before rushing out to replace expensive components.

Last edited by T5R92011; Jan 14th, 2021 at 23:16.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 14:03   #2
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

An update on this.....

After 3 weeks of No stalling (where previously was stalling every day), the car unfortuantely began to cut out again in exactly the same scenarios described above. So I fiddled with the FPS connector plug again but this time it made no difference.

Now, this also co-incided with my fuel economy dropping off a cliff (it was down to 37-36mpg for mixed driving) and an approx 80 mile drive on motorway it struggled to touch 40mpg, which is very bad for a Euro 3 D5.

So, putting all of the following symptoms together:

- Cutting out at idle or low rpm.
- The engine will only restart if turn key to OFF position first, otherwise will crank infinitely but no start.
- Noticable drop off in MPG.
- Lacking in power/choked feeling when putting your foot down.
- slight delay for engine to revs to rise when pressing accelerator at idle (D5 normally revs very quickly)

To me, that says the Fuel Pressure Sensor it's self is bad and ECU is shutting off the fuel supply.

So I bought a second hand FPS from ebay. I actually bought the whole fuel rail for £20 because the FPS sensor was still attached to the end of it.

Also worth noting that Euro 3 and Euro 4 engines have different design of fuel pressure sensor. Euro 3 has an 'adaptor' part whereas the Euro 4 does not.
Buying brand new, the Euro 3 Bosch sensor seems to be double the price of the Euro 4 Bosch sensor as well (£60/£30).

Anyway, fitted the replacement FPS and my MPG has already gone back up to 40mpg just from the first couple of test drives around town. Lots more power at higher RPM and stronger feeling of torque at low RPM, and crucially its no longer has that slight rev delay when pressing the accelerator.

FYI To replace the sensor you'll need:

- 27mm spanner
- 12mm socket
- 10mm socket
- Rags to catch fuel from rail.
- A replacement sensor.

It's very easy to replace the sensor (left hand side of fuel rail)

There is a black metal bar that connects the power steering pump to the engine with 2x 12mm bolts plus 1x 10mm bolt (secures a wiring harness to the bar). You'll need to move that out of the way to get access to undo the FPS.

1) Unplug the FPS connector plug, 2 glowplug leads and the coolant temp sensor connector plug and move the wiring harness out of the way.
2) Put rags underneath the Fuel Pressure Sensor.
3) Undo the 27mm nut on the FPS using a spanner.
4) Swap out the sensors and retighten.
5) Mop up any diesel spills.
6) Turn ignition key to position II and wait 10 seconds
7) Repeat step 6
8) Now crank the engine until it fires up (might take a 10 seconds or so)

In terms of result, its been 3 days and hasnt stalled so far.... will keep you posted long term.

Last edited by T5R92011; Feb 10th, 2021 at 14:45.
T5R92011 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to T5R92011 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2021, 23:42   #3
dsp

Default Is it an issue you described?

I have a killer failure with 2006 XC70 2.4D AWD Auto. Basically it stalled while driving and won't run since. No faults displayed, my garage hasn't got a clue what's wrong. Its not a starter or an immobiliser or a battery or a fuel pump. The car will start occasionally and will run as long as you are pressing on the accelerator. Once it is released - the car just stalls.

My mechanic says it might be the engine ECU but he is not sure. There are faults coming up with two injectors but they are not actually faulty. He swapped them around and the issue is still there.

Don't know if this is relevant but about two months ago the car was remapped. It has been running without issues until recently. Also it has got stuck in snow (I know, it is ironic with xc70) and I spent about an hour trying to get it out while revving the motor. Otherwise, I cannot even marginally think of what could trigger the problem.

Does this sound like an issue you had? Thanks
dsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 23:35   #4
ca2n

Following the updates with interest as my D5 appears to be behaving very similar.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 08:46   #5
S60D5-185
Me ? Surely Not!

Location: 2007 Volvo XC90 D5 Geartronic. South of Hadrians Wall.

DSP,

the car needs to be put on Vida diagnostics and the actual fault properly identified.

From your comments it would appear that the garage that you have used are out of their depth with this and clearly do not have the appropriate diagnostics equipment. Most generic readers will not do the job properly on your car. Vida will.

Find someone on here near you that has Vida ( many have their own ) or find a Volvo independent locally or your main dealer.

Letting the current garage start guessing with your wallet will ultimately work out far more expensive than the above options and may still not resolve your issue..👍

2007 Volvo XC90 D5 SE Geartronic
S60D5-185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16th, 2023, 09:05   #6
Matt22

I've got the identical thing happening with my V60, I've put in a new fuel filter, cleaned the map and maff sensor and it's been still doing the same thing. I brought my own diagnostic scanner, I had it plugged in whilst out and about and it picked up a code...finally...it is the fuel rail pressure sensor high input. So I'm going to pop it into a mechanic to get it changed, I was wondering if changing yours has fixed your issue? Has anything started up again or has it stayed improved?
Cheers
Matt22 is offline   Reply With Quote