Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo V90 D4 Valve cover gasket replacement

Views : 4946

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 00:20   #11
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolisG View Post
So I phoned other dealer here in Kent and was actually surprised how prices are different from each other, in Canterbury they quoted me £788 and Maidstone £600 so obviously I end up going to Maidstone. Long story short I did asked good will team to contribute towards repair cost and surprise surprise they did 😲 so total I paid £300
It depends what their labour cost is per hour , Volvo stipulate the time it should take and they work it out from there ..
A good job , I hope it sorts the problem , did they say what caused the leak?
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 08:18   #12
eternal optimist
Master Member

That’s a shocker! Even £300 would have me balking, and a gasket failure’s unlikely to be covered by any extended warranty. Would love to know what the cause was.
eternal optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eternal optimist For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 12:10   #13
Pete-V70 D5 2003

Thats a strange one no info out there at all apart from silly prices to have it done. Doesnt look too complicated a part. is this it? https://www.skandix.de/en/spare-part...cover/1069813/
Pete-V70 D5 2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pete-V70 D5 2003 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 13:06   #14
Zebster
Upstanding Member

As someone with a weep from their VEA cam cover gasket I'm interested in a proper explanation of what causes this leak to happen and what parts really do need to be replaced for a DIY repair, if anyone really knows.

I can guess that maybe the cover warps? Or does the PCV system fail and 'blow' the gasket seal? Or perhaps the gasket seal simply fails due to poor design?

Possibly Volvo replace all these pieces when they do the repair, but I'd be happy to reuse the cover if it wasn't warped. Are the replacement parts of an improved design?

Is removal and refitting of the injectors ever a problem?
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 17:31   #15
KarolisG

hey guys,

So my initial thought was to do it my self (as I usually do most of things for my and my missus car) in fact I did end up buying all parts I needed to do that, but then I had a good thought about it and decided to take it to Volvo garage. Reason for that is simple, Volvo does not provide repair manuals so I cant just compare to older generation D4 engines or guess torque, which order screws needs to be tighten and so on. Im not even talking about what if injectors gets jammed...
So coming back to gasket, in these days they designed to last for around 50k miles and my car already done almost triple that. At the end of the day nothing last forever so here is invoice what they done incase anyone interested
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PXL_20210328_224208776.jpg (293.4 KB, 95 views)
KarolisG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KarolisG For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 17:54   #16
Zebster
Upstanding Member

I'm tempted to try just tightening the bolts that hold on the cover.
Old Apr 11th, 2021, 18:12   #17
ergonomist

FWIW - this eventually rang a bell with me. Three years ago my D5 XC90 had an oil leak from rocker cover at 2yrs/24kmiles which was sorted under warranty. Found the invoice but it's a bit uninformative:
"Service Action 829846/Bleeder Hose"
"Replaced Rocker Cover and relevant parts"
Don't know if this will help anyone.