Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Rear suspension trailling on the floor

Views : 11652

Replies : 35

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 8th, 2020, 16:03   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWT View Post
The nose weight in the book is listed at 110Kg for this car which is probably about normal for most cars of this size. You suggest it may be the wrong spring are you thinking that it may have the self leveling spring or the other way round.
Re the dealer not much help there basically they are saying were not experts in towing so cant comment repeating the blurb in the book about 110Kg nose weight showed them the nose weight when there and the response was it is what it is Not all helpfull.
That's a poor response from them , the spring for self levelling will be softer , they should have at least checked the part number on the spring and their service bulletins and sent a technical report about your problem . That's how a problem starts to be resolved.
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 10:57   #22
BWT

Clan
From my experience of car dealerships unless its an easy fix or a known problem they put up all sorts of arguments not to get involved and i believe this to be a classic example. In the truck world they will get a regional technical manager involved as soon as the operator starts to moan Why? because they want to keep selling me trucks the car dealer sees it as a one off sale!!!

Anyhow my moan about dealerships does not solve the problem is there any way of to find out the correct part number of the spring that should be fitted to the car without involving the less than helpful dealership?

Volvo V90 R Design Pro D5 in Grey
BWT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BWT For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 9th, 2020, 11:45   #23
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Clan
From my experience of car dealerships unless its an easy fix or a known problem they put up all sorts of arguments not to get involved and i believe this to be a classic example. In the truck world they will get a regional technical manager involved as soon as the operator starts to moan Why? because they want to keep selling me trucks the car dealer sees it as a one off sale!!!

Anyhow my moan about dealerships does not solve the problem is there any way of to find out the correct part number of the spring that should be fitted to the car without involving the less than helpful dealership?
There are 121 Volvo dealers in the country and I have faith in every single one of them knowing how they operate , what kind of people they employ and what they have to do to pass volvos tough quality standards .

Unfortunately you have come across one or two unhelpful INDIVIDUALS who need educating .
I would turn up with your caravan and a sagging V90 , ask for the service manager , and say look , what's wrong with it . I want it sorted out and explain to the service manager your past experience with them and your suspicions as to what it might be ..

No , only dealers can look up part numbers on their secure systems ..
you might look for the part number on the spring label .
Old Dec 31st, 2020, 14:55   #24
FreshAir

Quote:
I have not tried reducing the nose weight as this would make an already unstable unit lethal. The recommended calculation for nose weight should be 5-7% of the loaded weight of the van so at the low end that would be 100Kg and at the high end 140Kg. So i think running at 80Kgs would make this van tail happy and an unhappy pilot.
This makes the 'van MIRO as 2,000kg. That is very heavy, are you sure it's correct?

I see there are 2 towing limits for the D5, one for cars equipped for higher towing weights, and one without. 1,800 and 2,200kg are the quoted maximums.

The kerb weight of the V90 is 1710 kg - 2050 kg without passengers & luggage (I Think) so towing 2,000kg is never going to be the most stable.

One thing I have learnt is not to load the boot with weight when towing, as you have already done. I find it much better with the kit over the axle of the caravan.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12th, 2021, 17:51   #25
BWT

Hi Fresh Air
I appreciate that 2000kg is a heavy van and yes i am 100% sure that it is correct (Swift Elegance 645), I would also point out that i am no novice to towing or vehicle loading having towed for over 40 years across this country and the whole of europe!!

The cars towing limit is 2200kg the kerb weight over the bridge with a full tank and driver is 1950KG. All up the car loaded ready to roll is 2200kg. Whilst i accept the van is slightly heavier than the car in an unloaded condition this should make no difference to the stability unless it is being driven by a lunatic and i do not fall into that category.
The issue is with the rear suspension trailing on the floor and lifting the front wheels thus lightening the steering.
As said already the car has a nose weight limit of 110kg and i have tried to stick to 100kg this provided Volvo are not be economical with the truth should run level and stable.

Old Jan 13th, 2021, 13:57   #26
FreshAir

Quote:
Hi Fresh Air
I appreciate that 2000kg is a heavy van and yes i am 100% sure that it is correct (Swift Elegance 645), I would also point out that i am no novice to towing or vehicle loading having towed for over 40 years across this country and the whole of europe!!

The cars towing limit is 2200kg the kerb weight over the bridge with a full tank and driver is 1950KG. All up the car loaded ready to roll is 2200kg. Whilst i accept the van is slightly heavier than the car in an unloaded condition this should make no difference to the stability unless it is being driven by a lunatic and i do not fall into that category.
The issue is with the rear suspension trailing on the floor and lifting the front wheels thus lightening the steering.
As said already the car has a nose weight limit of 110kg and i have tried to stick to 100kg this provided Volvo are not be economical with the truth should run level and stable.
Nice caravan. MIRO is 1,700kg so at 5% gives 85kg.

Not much difference between 85kg and the 100kg you are running at, and with kit in the car on rear seats you would expect it to not be dragging the rear of the car.

I've not got as much experience as you, only 10 years now. I started out with 1,250kg 'van (actual with kit in on weighbridge) and car that was about 1,300kg before luggage. That was OK up to 60mph, but you really noticed if it went over that or there were cross winds. Big difference towing same 'van with a 1,700kg car, super stable up to higher speeds, although I kept to 60mph normally. So you weight match is very close to 100% so will have similar stability to what I started with, albeit improved for you by the twin axle of course.

I also noticed with the first car I was using that having too much weight in the boot was bad, rookie error, now goes over the axle in the 'van. It is way better that way.

Hope you get a suitable resolution, as both the car and 'van you have got are great. So many resort to SUV's these days for towing. Estates are so much nicer.
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 14:10   #27
BWT

Fresh Air
The MIRO is 1700 and is of absolutely no consequence as this is the unladen weight. The only weight that is of any consequence is the the gross weight (ie loaded ready to go)of the van which is 1863KG or in my case 2000kg as it has the weight upgrade.
As i have said the issue is not the caravan i believe the car is not man enough i think the spring is to soft and as there is no alternative then i am stuck with it.
The problem as i see it the rear end sag lift the weight off the front wheels therefore there is lack of feel in the steering so when being overtaken for example the bow wave of the other vehicle causes the van to move slightly then my input on the steering is exaggerated because of the lift on the front wheels due to the a4se trailing on the floor.

Regards
BWT

Old Jan 14th, 2021, 22:42   #28
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Fresh Air
The MIRO is 1700 and is of absolutely no consequence as this is the unladen weight. The only weight that is of any consequence is the the gross weight (ie loaded ready to go)of the van which is 1863KG or in my case 2000kg as it has the weight upgrade.
As i have said the issue is not the caravan i believe the car is not man enough i think the spring is to soft and as there is no alternative then i am stuck with it.
The problem as i see it the rear end sag lift the weight off the front wheels therefore there is lack of feel in the steering so when being overtaken for example the bow wave of the other vehicle causes the van to move slightly then my input on the steering is exaggerated because of the lift on the front wheels due to the a4se trailing on the floor.

Regards
BWT
have they checked that you have the correct rear spring?
Old Jan 14th, 2021, 23:15   #29
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Well it would seem you may have the wrong spring , the one from the Self levelling car .... I would suggest this to the dealer ....

Historically the volvo noseweight has always been around 70 - 90 kg
Very good observation there! I heard that if Nivomat springs are used without then they are very soft!

Don’t know if that’s a possibility on this model as I have a different vehicle.

With a 110kg nose weight and that level of collapse it’s nothing to do with upgrading stuff and all to do with an error.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2021, 10:34   #30
BWT

Clan
According to the "experts" at Volvo it is the correct spring and say there is nothing wrong with the way its sitting. When i suggested they take it for a hurl that was a different matter the guy who drove it is a caravanner on his return he was visibly whiter than when he left!!!

When asked what they were going to do they did the usual blamed the van it is not as i have tried another which is about 300kg lighter and it is exactly the same.

So i now have £85000 worth of car and caravan which are not safe for the road thanks a lot Volvo.