Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Towing and Caravan Topics

Notices

Towing and Caravan Topics A forum for all towing/caravanning related topics

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Swift LED light problem

Views : 3911

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 19th, 2020, 23:23   #1
moncman

Default Swift LED light problem

This might have been covered in an earlier post but we have a problem with our 2019 Swift Challenger 590 with Sargent electrics and LED lights. When connected to the car the indicators are on (not flashing but dimly lit) all the time. I'm told this is not uncommon and affects some BMW, Land Rover/Range Rover, Mercedes and Volvo models. Sargent do a vehicle lighting modification module (VLM) of which they are now up to VLM6. Thing is, surely if they have a fix then the van was not fit for purpose in the first place. My dealer wants 150 quid to fix my 23 grand caravan. Another option is to update the car but the guys at Portland Towing in Lincoln tell me there's not a trailer module for my car - a late 2010 XC90. It is fitted with westafalia detachable bar and vehicle specific wiring, but not Volvo parts. Any advice gratefully received. My inclination is to dig my heels in and claim the van was not fit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 and try to get the VLM6 fitted foc.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncman For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 00:45   #2
Whyman
Premier Member

I had heard this and was aware when I bought my 2018 Swift Conqueror 580. At the dealer(Grantham Caravans) the lights were tested and OK but if they weren’t then they would have fitted the VLM6 there and then with no mention of cost. It is fitted with genuine Volvo electrics.

My son bought a 2014 Range Rover and I was not sure if the lights would be OK but I turned out that they were.

I did contact Sargent direct and from what they told me they were quite happy to supply the VLM6 and was told that it came with complete instructions for what was an easy fit.

It may be that the problem is your electrics not the caravan!

As you say go back to your dealer and try and get them to fit it for free.
Old Feb 20th, 2020, 00:51   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
This might have been covered in an earlier post but we have a problem with our 2019 Swift Challenger 590 with Sargent electrics and LED lights. When connected to the car the indicators are on (not flashing but dimly lit) all the time. I'm told this is not uncommon and affects some BMW, Land Rover/Range Rover, Mercedes and Volvo models. Sargent do a vehicle lighting modification module (VLM) of which they are now up to VLM6. Thing is, surely if they have a fix then the van was not fit for purpose in the first place. My dealer wants 150 quid to fix my 23 grand caravan. Another option is to update the car but the guys at Portland Towing in Lincoln tell me there's not a trailer module for my car - a late 2010 XC90. It is fitted with westafalia detachable bar and vehicle specific wiring, but not Volvo parts. Any advice gratefully received. My inclination is to dig my heels in and claim the van was not fit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 and try to get the VLM6 fitted foc.
That's a pain in the neck but i don't think there's much you can do except pay up and look big.

Swift and/or Sargent obviously recognise there's a problem (i'm guessing with the CANBus protocols on the cars you mention) and are developing their VLMs to cope with new problems as and when they are found.

Swift/Sargent didn't choose your car - you did, therefore as you have been advised it may need a VLM, you were/are aware of it. It's obviously not every car in the car parc or there would be a case of the van not being fit for purpose but it appears to be limited to 2, possibly 3 that probably use a Bosch CANBus system (BMW, Merc and Volvo) and i have no clue what system JLR use. Given Lucas is now (i believe) Chinese owned and i think the Chinese either own or have a large pair of chopsticks dipped into the JLR pie, it would suggest if it is Lucas badged it's a Chinese thing.
Your XC90 was made under Fords ownership so who knows whether it's Bosch, Siemens, Fords own or what.

Some possible solutions :

1. "Put up and shut up" Not ideal but is the simplest/cheapest.

2. Talk nicely to whoever installed the towbar and/or sold you the caravan to see if they'll do you a deal on the correct VLM to eliminate the problem. Likely to be the easiest solution.

3. Sue them under the "Not fit for purose" act. Dubious whether you'll get anywhere, the court is likely to take the view you knew about the problem but still bought a Volvo and a Swift. Could involve huge costs that you'd probably find yourself liable for - definitely not ideal!

4. Approach Sargent, explain the problem to them and tell them you're willing to let them use your car and van as a development/test bed to perfect a VLM specifically for Volvo XC90 models on the understandng they fit a finished module (not a prototype) FOC for you.
It would save them a lot of time, guesswork and a fortune in development costs so is a potential win-win situation.

5. Sell the XC90 and the Swift, buy a 1995 960 and similar age Swift, with the spare £££ you have, get them both refurbed to match (or better) the condition of your "old" car and van and drive off into the sunset with your holiday home on wheels without any problems.
Probably not the solution you're thinking of but we didn't get these problems before CANBus was invented!

I would like to point out i'm not an expert on trading laws, you may find you do indeed have more redress available to you but for that advice you'll probably have to pay a solicitor for a consultation of some sort and/or them to send letters and so on. I'm suggesting what i percieve to be the outcome based on the information i have.

Hopefully in my suggestions there will be a workable solution for you or possibly a mix'n'match of solutions to get you what you need in the most cost effective way.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 8th, 2020, 14:24   #4
PVSPete

Reading the first post, you say that the caravan indicators are dimly lit all the time. Have checks of the towing socket and towing system been made? The assumption is that the Volvo towing module is causing this by sending out a checking signal as it "looks" for a circuit through a conventional filament style bulb. That signal is not enough to light up a conventional bulb but is enough to cause a sensitive LED to illuminate.
The problem is caused by your car being designed for conventional filament bulbs and your caravan being designed without a thought for what will be towing it. If it has LED indicators then another problem that will arise is that the bulb failure monitor for the indicator circuit probably won't work - and indicator failure warning is a legal requirement - does the trailer indicator lamp flash on the dash in time with the indicators?
One way around your problem may be to modify the Volvo. The trailer indicator circuits could be rewired to switch relays fitted between the tralier module and the towing socket, perhaps with an audible monitor to warn of failure.
Or you may find that a more modern design of towing module which has LED compatibility is available for your car. UK company Right Connections (manufacturers and distributors of towing electrics) are experienced with this type of question.
PVSPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10th, 2020, 11:24   #5
37 RUBY
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moncman View Post
This might have been covered in an earlier post but we have a problem with our 2019 Swift Challenger 590 with Sargent electrics and LED lights. When connected to the car the indicators are on (not flashing but dimly).

My inclination is to dig my heels in and claim the van was not fit for purpose under the Consumer Rights Act of 2015 and try to get the VLM6 fitted foc.
Definitely not fit for purpose.

Prove that the vehicle wiring is in good order by connecting it to a standard lighting trailer board or caravan then put it squarely on the hands of the supplying dealer.

Was any part of the purchase paid for by either finance or credit card over £100 ?

If so ask for assistance from either the finance company under the supply of goods act 1973 or credit card company under sales of goods act/section 75 consumer credit act....they are obliged to assist you.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 37 RUBY For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 12th, 2020, 21:24   #6
Peter86
Pete

I would contact volvo and ask if if a dedicated Volvo electric kit would fix your issue.

2011 V70 D5 [215] Rdesign - currently owned.

Peter86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2020, 19:42   #7
Porkie18

Default LED Light Issue

We have a Elegance 645 2019 with the same LED Lights mentioned already.

The Car I use is an 2011 XC90 but I did not put the Towbar on this Vehicle or the wiring so cannot say for certain if the previous owner did have an issue and corrected it but when I went from old light bulbs to LED it did so without and hassles I am reading here.

Maybe I was lucky as I doubt your Challenger is any different in wiring or Road Lights to my Elegance??
Porkie18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Porkie18 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 17th, 2020, 09:55   #8
IainMcL1970

Not had any issues with this on various Swift and Volvo combinations.

All my Volvos have had Volvo towbars/wiring.
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 11:47   #9
Adrian888

I am just about to buy a V60 D6 Hybrid and a new Eccles 'van next couple of weeks and had wondered about this. First off it has been discussed at length (to death) on Swiftalk and elsewhere and the idea of suing under Consumer legislation is a waste of time. My feeling is there may be a poor/dirty connection (probably earth return) adding to the problem. It appears I may be ok (I will be having a vehicle specific dedicated wiring loom used when the towbar is installed) however will keep this at the back of my mind - just in case.
Adrian888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adrian888 For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 18th, 2020, 12:04   #10
SwissXC90
Premier Member

If LED lights are glowing dimly, the it is caused be the module in the car that provides the power for the lights not switching off completely.
In the industry we call this "leakage".
The residual "leakage" voltage is enough to illuminate the LEDs dimly.

You can solve the issue by adding extra resistive load to the circuit to provide enough load to "consume" the leakage and drop the leakage voltage down to 0, or so close it doesn't matter.

This can be done really easily by just adding a resistor across the LED lamp to provide more of a load.

It doesn't need to be a high power low-ohm resistor.

In many cases you can get away with a 1kOhm 1/4 watt resistor.
Costs around 2p, ie: nothing.
Fit the resistor where-ever you want in the trailer or in the car.
Ideally in the car, as it is the car that in at fault, not the LED lamps.
You could even connect it inside the trailer plug if you have enough space and it is weather proof enough.

Depends whether you will use the caravan on multiple cars (then fit to caravan), or use the car with multiple trailers (then fit to car)
Or fit to both.

You only need one resistor per circuit. not one per LED lamp.

The root cause is actually both car and caravan:

The car expects normal incandescent lamps on the trailer, and is not designed to be used with LED tail lamps

The caravan (trailer) expects the car to completely shut off the voltage to the trailer lamps when the lamps are not in use, and is not designed for use with cars that have a residual "leakage" voltage.

So point the blame finger where-ever you want. It'll get you no-where.
The solution remains very simple, regardless of the blame.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: