Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

HUD or heated windscreen

Views : 56745

Replies : 283

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Which option would you sekect
HUD 202 46.76%
Heated windscreen 230 53.24%
Voters: 432. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 24th, 2021, 18:22   #211
volvocat

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemintb View Post
I had an XC90 2015 First Edition, with all the goodies (including HUD), and now I have an XC90 2018 R Design Pro without half of the goodies, one of them being the HUD and I miss it so bad!

I also have a Discovery Sport 2016 with both, HUD and heated windscreen.... cmon Volvo, how hard can it be!
I've often thought Volvo are very unimaginative/lazy/controlling about some of their options and model specs.
But I think in some cases, it might be more to do with Volvo UK, rather than the factory, dictating what their customers are allowed to have.
I realise there will always be regional/national variations but some of the restrictions just seem random and silly (actually getting logical explanations is almost impossible), rather than for genuine technical or manufacturing reasons... 🙄
volvocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 15:57   #212
OnyxBlaster
Volvo Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cull06 View Post
Is yours a T8 with remote conditioning?

If yes, no need for heated windscreen.

If no, remote start takes forever to heat the engine sufficiently to demist the windscreen, so the heated windscreen is great.
It's a T6 Recharge so essentially very similar to the T8 (just no supercharger...). I wasn't sure what the capability of the pre-conditioning would really be and have yet to use it in anger, but next time I may well end up going with the HUD instead.
OnyxBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 16:03   #213
OnyxBlaster
Volvo Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvocat View Post
I've often thought Volvo are very unimaginative/lazy/controlling about some of their options and model specs.
But I think in some cases, it might be more to do with Volvo UK, rather than the factory, dictating what their customers are allowed to have.
I realise there will always be regional/national variations but some of the restrictions just seem random and silly (actually getting logical explanations is almost impossible), rather than for genuine technical or manufacturing reasons... 🙄
As a comparison that supports your opinion, check the Mercedes UK and German configurators. The UK gets a choice of pretty much one trim level (AMG) for most models and 2 or 3 packages (Premium, Premium Plus, Night Edition) and that's about it.
The Germans can choose a Classic/SE/Lux alternative and individually specify a huge range of options including bum chillers, which aren't available in the UK on anything below an S-Class. One of the main reason I ended up with a Volvo is the availability of bum chillers on Inscription (or Plus/Pro) models. Non-cooled leather is a real turn-off for me.
OnyxBlaster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OnyxBlaster For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 17:29   #214
Polestar Pete
Polestar

I personally prefer hot leather.

That might just be me, however.

XC60 T8 R Design Pro
Polestar Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 19:33   #215
Steorbs

Heated for me. Had a few loan cars with HUD and ended up turning ut of on all of them. Just not for me. Particularly think its not great at night. Think as other have said tho some will like it and some won't

For me, coming out in the morning and able to drive off in the icy conditions very quickly is a bonus, in the UK at least. I don't get the lines being distracting at all as some have mentioned. Again, just what ypu prefer I suppose.
Steorbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 20:41   #216
AB-UK
Premier Member

In Europe you can have the Blond/Blond interior.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 26th, 2021, 20:46   #217
Boatie
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steorbs View Post
Heated for me. Had a few loan cars with HUD and ended up turning ut of on all of them. Just not for me. Particularly think its not great at night. Think as other have said tho some will like it and some won't

For me, coming out in the morning and able to drive off in the icy conditions very quickly is a bonus, in the UK at least. I don't get the lines being distracting at all as some have mentioned. Again, just what ypu prefer I suppose.
I think I've already commented on this thread about the heating elements being distracting. In my case it's worse on dull, damp days. Unlike HUD you can't just 'turn it off'
Old Apr 14th, 2021, 23:19   #218
AB-UK
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB-UK View Post
In Europe you can have the Blond/Blond interior.
Further update:
In the UK - XC90 Recharge T8 we have a choice of 3 interiors.
In France and in Sweden you have a choice of 9 interiors.
AB-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19th, 2021, 13:57   #219
ajdthomson

Smile

Hi - new XC60 owner here... picked mine up at the weekend (nearly new ex-demonstrator) and I sought out HUD, my logic being

- HUD is great every day of the year, heated windscreen on relatively few mornings
- The Volvo On Call remote start / precondition is a game changer for cold mornings

I drove 5 hours at the weekend and absolutely loved the HUD.
ajdthomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2021, 13:14   #220
TheDufster

At 6ft tall and wanting my seat in a high driving position, the HUD is almost unusable. Even at it's highest view setting the top of it is obscured. Wish I had opted for heated screen instead. I don't understand how this got past quality control

XC40 1.5 T3 R-Design
TheDufster is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheDufster For This Useful Post: