Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your x40 today???

Views : 1068519

Replies : 12937

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2021, 20:06   #12921
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I've had terrible issues with grip in this snowy weather, which includes, but it not limited to, having to dig the car out of the drive on three occasions because it wouldn't move at all with the TC kicking in on compacted snow, having to navigate the town centre using precision handbrake engagement because there was just no turning in to be had otherwise, and also, and possibly the best one, dropping my stepdaughter off at work, and being physically unable to leave the carpark because of the about 1 in 50 hill, 20 metres of digging myself out (luckily the shovel from the driveway incidents was still in the boot) plus a few handfuls of gravel I was able to get from the side of the road.

So I thought well forget this, and ordered another full size phase 1 spare wheel to match the one I already have, which arrived today, I've since ordered a pair of 165/65 continental winters as well, I know I've almost certainly acted too late for this cold snap, but it should keep me out of trouble next time.

Tomorrow I'll get my mate to remove and bin the old tyres (date stamped 1999 and 1997 respectively) and then blast prime and paint the rims in preparation for the new tyres arriving.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210211-194957_copy_576x410.jpg (47.2 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20210211-194927_copy_576x625.jpg (57.1 KB, 10 views)
Old Feb 13th, 2021, 20:50   #12922
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Well the Ovlov is going. I dont even know if I will stick it in for a test, maybe a waste of 45€.
I'm purchasing the coolest make on the EU bloc....a SHHHKODA! A SHHHHKODA Fabia estate no less, diesel, muy poco KM's, one owner from new (2006) and surprisingly for a Spanglish car...unmarked! Very cheapo priced, all servicing up to date and cam belt done last month. Owner returning to the UK, Brexit departure, another pensioner to help herself to the NHS etc.
Her loss my gain...now where was that SHHHKODA forum URL?
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 17:41   #12923
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Last weekend I got the shed nice and toasty with the heaters on, and after getting the old tyres off in the day by my good friends at Haywards United farmers, I set about prepping and painting my pair of steel rims in preparation to receive their winter tyres, it went predictively wrong.

First wheel, beautiful, second one, reactions all over the place, despite the same sanding and degreasing, it just failed, as you can see in the 2nd photograph. Then I decided to try and sand back the areas where it had reacted, re clean, and then repaint, but then I realised that if I were to do this then I wouldn't leave myself enough white to do the blow in I need to do on one of the alloys, and I doubt I can get this particular paint again (middle of Lidl special) so I tried some other white that I found nearly a full can of, which then wrinkled up in spectacular fashion, it must have been incompatible, I didn't bother photographing that.

So today I did what I should have done to start with, which was take them to work and give them the UHP water treatment, the perks of working at a blasting company.

I'm unsure as to what the black coating that these had on them under the black and silver factory finish is, but my god it's hard, even with ultra high pressure water jets at 50,000 psi it wasn't coming off particularly well, then the machine spat a seal and would only make about 35k, so I elected to leave the black stuff on the second wheel. I'm not overly worried about the swirl marks from the jets as that's what the primer is for, I chose etch primer this time, nice and grippy.

After a light sand to remove the flash rust, and three degreases with different new rags (taking no chances this time) I'm more than happy with how the primer came out, all there is are two tiny pinholes in the metal below, I might just pop a little mig in there and then flat it, but then again it's only very minor, I just wish I'd just done this from the start, to quote one of my favourite YouTube car people, "its all been very hubnut" oh well, I got there in the end. Just a trip to somewhere that sells gloss white topcoat at some point and I'll be there.

Last edited by clarkey1984; Feb 19th, 2021 at 18:50.
clarkey1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2021, 22:19   #12924
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Yes, nailed it this time, well happy with how they've come out.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210228_103104_copy_1008x754_1.jpg (178.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210228_103129_copy_1008x754_1.jpg (136.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20210228_103439_copy_1008x753_1.jpg (280.1 KB, 3 views)
Old Mar 3rd, 2021, 08:44   #12925
clarkey1984
Premier Member

It's mot week, Friday is the day, I now have three days off work including Friday in order to get everything that I know it needs done, which is...

Both rear droplink rubbers are completely dead, the link and boot are fine, its the rubber part that clamps each side of the ARB that are wrecked.

Replace the catalytic converter, although I stupidly bought one that doesn't have the threaded hole for the O2 sensor, so it's time to get miggy with it.

Headlight alignment is hilariously low, primarily because the bracket responsible for the self levelling on the rear suspension arm has rotted off, more mig fun.

Brake pipes front to back have light surface rust, I know they're structurally sound as I've been monitoring them, they just look manky though.

While not rotten, pretty much the whole underside of the car is a little orange as it has light surface rust, so the whole car is getting either a two pack epoxy (duraplate) or some zinc based cold galvanising aerosol, I haven't decided which yet, probably the latter though as it dries quicker.

Drivers side steering gaitor is torn, access is impossible to clip it to the rack though so fitting the new one will be fun.

Possibly need a driver's side outer CV boot, I'm praying that the grease on the inside of the wheel is from before I changed the track rod ends and bottom arms as they were both leaking before.

Drivers seatbelt torn up because of the trim, new one kindly supplied by donaldcurrie from here.

Wish me luck lol
Old Mar 4th, 2021, 18:56   #12926
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Horrible niggly jobs clarkey but nothing that will break the bank!
Old Mar 17th, 2021, 19:13   #12927
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

I whipped out my good/clear SRS unit and shoved in the duff one prior to scrapping the vehicle.
I'll bring it to the Uk in the summer just in case someone needs one!
The Following User Says Thank You to bimmer49 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 21:41   #12928
qscgyjl

I fitted a new fuel pump to get the car started, I don't think it has run in 3 years thanks to stale fuel and been stood about 11. Dry inside, no mould and everything works except the headlights where I needed bulbs from time to time. Needs the radio code at some stage, lost that in one of my safe places!
qscgyjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 19:03   #12929
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

Still nicking bits off: The two tone horns have gone on my motorhome.
Starter motor will be off too (replaced last summer, old one back on).
Battery onto my Daihatsu Fourtrak and dodgy cell one onto the V40.
Main beam H7 LED's out. Nothing back in.
Windscreen jets to come out, last minute dot com.for the motor home.
I've got a Ph1 top strut mount (new) somewhere.
New front wheel bearing.
I x CV joint (new,small).
2 x CV joint (new, large).
Hundreds of springs, struts(Ph2) and rear shocks..well quite a few!
Not sure what else I need to save, not for another V40 but for general use.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 19:09   #12930
bimmer49
Always listen & learn!

The V40 has gone to the recycling yard,
A quick inspection of the car to make sure it has no bombs on board and 10 mins for the destruction paperwork lodged with the DGT (DVLA).
150€ crossed my palm.
That didn't last long as i had to take the paperwork to the council so that I would only pay road tax for part of the year (50€).
Council paperwork issued, down the bank, pay the 50€.
Done, gone!
Sad really because it is a very comfy car in the seat. Even Er Indoors said the SKODA seats are hard. All German (based) cars have hard seats. French cars have the best comfy seats.
Ive now got a huge selection of shocks n springs to take to the local scrappy man. Make his day!

Tags
bacont4, bananahammock, mp3, mp3s, rubbisht4s, uttergarbage