Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine 'carbon cleaning'

Views : 3413

Replies : 63

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 9th, 2021, 23:19   #1
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Default Engine 'carbon cleaning'

been thinking of getting my local to run one of those Carbon Cleaning things on the car to see if that helps the old MPG (and just generally for longevity, good running order, etc)

anyone had any experience of that, was it worth it, is it just snake oil, etc. I saw it on wheeler dealers and that Ed bloke said it was good, to be fair he seems to know his stuff. or does he just read a script. who knows

searched previous posts and seem to be mostly discussing diesel engines, mines a petrol for whatever that's worth

thanks in advance

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 9th, 2021 at 23:30.
stuart bowes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 16:47   #2
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Bumpity bump

any takers?

mini project - link
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 17:52   #3
SwissXC90
Premier Member

I think they have much more impact on diesel than petrol engines...
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12th, 2021, 22:32   #4
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

I figured that might be the case but I'm trying to think of ways to improve sub-par mpg

even it it might give me like 3 more mpg it's worth it surely

17mpg, average 10.000 miles in a year =588 gallons
20mpg. average 10,000 miles in a year =500 gallons
88 gallons = 400 litres
= £480 @ £1.20 per litre

that's a brand new set of tyres

=====
ignores the fact that soon hopefully it wont just be Urban,
so then we might be talking about going from 25 to 28
but the point remains

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 12th, 2021 at 22:35.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 01:22   #5
Davey J

If you are splitting hairs over 3mpg on a car doing 17mpg currently and MPG is a concern for you.........spending more money on a Carbon Clean is not necessarily the answer here.

That said I have used it on a 1.9TDi T5 Transporter which included taking inlet manifold off and de-coking that the results were a slightly quieter engine and more urgency. I didn't bother with MPG checks as I don't drive the exact same routes every day so any test would have been flawed from the get go, not to mention temperature differences each day, how often did I start stop, etc.

Better to maintain decent tyre pressures and make sure brakes are freed off......moderate throttle, etc

I don't think this service will benefit a car of that age. More for direct injection stuff with swirl flaps and the like as they are notorious for "gumming" up especially with EGR valves, etc fitted.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 02:20   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey J View Post
If you are splitting hairs over 3mpg on a car doing 17mpg currently and MPG is a concern for you.........spending more money on a Carbon Clean is not necessarily the answer here.

That said I have used it on a 1.9TDi T5 Transporter which included taking inlet manifold off and de-coking that the results were a slightly quieter engine and more urgency. I didn't bother with MPG checks as I don't drive the exact same routes every day so any test would have been flawed from the get go, not to mention temperature differences each day, how often did I start stop, etc.

Better to maintain decent tyre pressures and make sure brakes are freed off......moderate throttle, etc

I don't think this service will benefit a car of that age. More for direct injection stuff with swirl flaps and the like as they are notorious for "gumming" up especially with EGR valves, etc fitted.
Agreed.

i wouldn't bother doing it on a car this age, particularly with it being petrol.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 08:55   #7
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Fair enough thanks, will look for other options then

I already do all the obvious things like tyre pressures, throttle control, not using air con etc. I'm not into hypermiling or anything is just that this particular car should be getting a few more mpg on average from what I've read and I'm trying to work out why rather than just accepting it as a given

I don't think my brakes are binding, but I have replaced everything in the last few months so it is all very tight and new just because of pads and discs going back to the correct thicknesses I guess

The number 3 was just a mathematical example of how a small improvement can add up to a worthy annual saving

mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; Apr 13th, 2021 at 09:00.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 17:07   #8
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
Fair enough thanks, will look for other options then

I already do all the obvious things like tyre pressures, throttle control, not using air con etc. I'm not into hypermiling or anything is just that this particular car should be getting a few more mpg on average from what I've read and I'm trying to work out why rather than just accepting it as a given

I don't think my brakes are binding, but I have replaced everything in the last few months so it is all very tight and new just because of pads and discs going back to the correct thicknesses I guess

The number 3 was just a mathematical example of how a small improvement can add up to a worthy annual saving
Has it been serviced recently? Spark plugs, air filter etc.
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 17:57   #9
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart bowes View Post
been thinking of getting my local to run one of those Carbon Cleaning things on the car to see if that helps the old MPG (and just generally for longevity, good running order, etc)

anyone had any experience of that, was it worth it, is it just snake oil, etc. I saw it on wheeler dealers and that Ed bloke said it was good, to be fair he seems to know his stuff. or does he just read a script. who knows

searched previous posts and seem to be mostly discussing diesel engines, mines a petrol for whatever that's worth

thanks in advance
The ‘Terraclean’ process has good reviews and I believe to be backed up with data. A work colleague had it done to his 110K focus diesel and found it made good improvements.

I am sure you will find an improvement. Give it a go!
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13th, 2021, 18:08   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Has it been serviced recently? Spark plugs, air filter etc.
Yes and yes injector cleaner x2 (3rd on next fill up) and cleaned MAF

mini project - link