Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Crack in exhaust manifold

Views : 715

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 6th, 2021, 17:20   #1
Derry

Default Crack in exhaust manifold

While taking off the catalytic convertor and the main exhaust to renew them, I noticed this crack on the exhaust manifold, looks like the crack is going all the way round that section. No other cracks on the manifold. Just wondering what my options are, can they be repaired with things like JB Extreme Heat metallic paste.
I haven’t noticed any fumes or lack of power when I was driving, can I just ignore it not sure what the consequences would be. With the cost of replacing the exhaust system coming up, I rather try to resolve it without buying a new unit. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg exhaust manifold-01.jpg (102.8 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg exhaust manifold-02.jpg (85.6 KB, 37 views)
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 17:49   #2
volvo again
Master Member

There's a few used ones on ebay...
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 18:57   #3
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

J.B. epoxy is good but I doubt very much that it can perform on the manifold:~

Cast iron welding is a real art nowadays and potentially costly- however brazing cast iron is a good option and one that will perform well, I've had it done on two post war classics without any problems.
Good luck.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bob Meadows For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 21:45   #4
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Meadows View Post
J.B. epoxy is good but I doubt very much that it can perform on the manifold:~

Cast iron welding is a real art nowadays and potentially costly- however brazing cast iron is a good option and one that will perform well, I've had it done on two post war classics without any problems.
Good luck.
Bob.
Indeed, brazing it would probably work, but given that you'd need to remove it to do so, I'd have thought that replacement with a used one would be the way to go - probably cheaper in the end too, and quicker. Manifold cracking isn't a common fault on these engines, so a used one is probably going to be fine. I also agree that JB weld and stuff like that is not likely to work for any length of time.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 10:07   #5
acshortt5
Volvo Nutcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Indeed, brazing it would probably work, but given that you'd need to remove it to do so, I'd have thought that replacement with a used one would be the way to go - probably cheaper in the end too, and quicker. Manifold cracking isn't a common fault on these engines, so a used one is probably going to be fine. I also agree that JB weld and stuff like that is not likely to work for any length of time.
I've no experience with the N/A engine but when I refurbished my turbo I found the exhaust manifold was cracked, particularly on the inside at the collector. I replaced it with a very good second hand one. It might be one of the reasons why the turbo exhaust manifold was changed in 1999.

I wouldn't recommend trying JB weld or similar as it will possibly very quickly fall out and if it's for cracks on the inside of the manifold if it falls out it will head straight to the Cat where it might cause damage.

I would additionally consider the condition of the engine mounts - if they are worn then you might have quite a bit of engine movement in excess of what the flexibility of the exhaust system can absorb?

Worst case scenario I think you can get new manifolds for the N/A engines from PFV if you can't find a good used one.

1998 S70 T5 CD AUTO
Previously a 1990 240 GLT-R

Last edited by acshortt5; Apr 7th, 2021 at 10:10.
acshortt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acshortt5 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 12:02   #6
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derry View Post
While taking off the catalytic convertor and the main exhaust to renew them, I noticed this crack on the exhaust manifold, looks like the crack is going all the way round that section. No other cracks on the manifold. Just wondering what my options are, can they be repaired with things like JB Extreme Heat metallic paste.
I haven’t noticed any fumes or lack of power when I was driving, can I just ignore it not sure what the consequences would be. With the cost of replacing the exhaust system coming up, I rather try to resolve it without buying a new unit. Any help or suggestions will be much appreciated. Thanks
It is simply worn out over time , many many heating cycles ... the only way of welding that is whilst bolted up to the head or a spare head or it will crack again straight away . Best get a new one whilst you can if keeping the car ..
Old Apr 9th, 2021, 00:37   #7
Derry

Great advice as usual, thank you guys.
I have taken the old one off and the crack is 3/4 of that section so I can't see JB weld stopping it going further. I was surprised how easy it came off and out, not sure why Hayes was instructing to drain the coolent, disconnect pipes, remove top engine mount etc.
PFV have them for £134 + postage. And Rufe can get one for around £250 + postage. I will look around online for a used one next few days while looking for a decent priced exhaust and cat.
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 17:54   #8
Derry

Default Exhaust Assembly Paste

Do I need to use any exhaust assembly paste when connecting the front and middle section exhaust pipes, or just the pipe clamp will do.

Like this stuff https://www.eurocarparts.com/p/holts...00ml-552996220
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 19:44   #9
volvo again
Master Member

I always use assembly paste, not sure if the local fast fit guys do though, helps to seal joints and should make it easier if you need to remove a section.
make sure it's asembly paste and not the sealer...
Old Apr 15th, 2021, 21:36   #10
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Likewise, I always use a bit of paste, make sure it's dried off properly before running the car though, otherwise it'll just blow out of any cracks it's sealing.