Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > General Volvo and Motoring Discussions

Notices

General Volvo and Motoring Discussions This forum is for messages of a general nature about Volvos that are not covered by other forums and other motoring related matters of interest. Users will need to register to post/reply.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus issue

Views : 652

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 18th, 2021, 20:39   #1
XAlp

Default Sensus issue

Hope this is in the right forum!

I,Ve had a 2018 XC90 for about a month now. Three or four times the Sensus has not come on properly - eventually coming on after maybe 5 minutes. The display in front of the driver between the dials also is blank while it’s “resetting” - this is how the salesman described what’s happening.

It’s booked in next week - any suggestions on what I should discuss / look out for at the dealer? And a general question - do all the safety systems work while it’s blank?

Cheers
XAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 19:28   #2
XAlp

Update.

Apparently they didn't have a way to find the issue. They said if it persists they can supply me with a USB which tracks the frequency of it happening, and then provide that evidence to Volvo for a potential replacement. We'll see - it has been fine since then...

A little worry - the chap also said that the latest upgrades to Sensus on new models means that the version I have is "becoming less supported by Volvo" - the price of progress I suppose
XAlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 22:37   #3
MGSheff

Hi Xalp

I've not noticed any of the symptoms you've mentioned, but...
I have a 2010 V70 and recently the display was showing that my mobile phone was connected, I could use the dash controls to scroll through my phone book and recent calls and I could initiate a call but the audio wasn't connecting through.
I stopped the Bluetooth on my phone (Android) and restarted Bluetooth. The phone re-connected to the car and audio was also connecting through OK.

Another strange thing that happened recently (before the Christmas lockdown).
I was with a friend who was using a drone controlled from his mobile phone. I had the NHS app on my phone with the Bluetooth option enabled. When I moved within Bluetooth range of his phone the drone started behaving erratically. When I moved further away the drone behaved normally.

Also when I have the Bluetooth option enabled in the NHS app my fitbit struggles to communicate with my phone. The NHS app seems quite greedy with Bluetooth bandwidth.

I don't know if this has any relationship to your problem, but it might be something you could experiment with to find out.
MGSheff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MGSheff For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 6th, 2021, 22:48   #4
EssexExile
Master Member

The wife took our car in to have a wiper motor changed when it was a couple of months old. She left the dealership and on the first roundabout all went blank, so she went right round back to the dealership and as she pulled onto the forecourt it all came back on! They took it back in and did the usual "reinstall the software" and it's been fine for the last couple of years.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 10:17   #5
RonFleet

My XC40's Sensus system has behaved like this on a number of occasions...failed to start and rebooted itself once or twice before coming back to life. Irritating.
XC40 T3 R-Design Automatic
RonFleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 00:33   #6
techwatcher
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonFleet View Post
My XC40's Sensus system has behaved like this on a number of occasions...failed to start and rebooted itself once or twice before coming back to life. Irritating.
This has been reported a few times and my XC60 behaves the same way.

The problem seems to be related to DAB radio. If I start the car with FM radio the problem doesn't occur.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 10:57   #7
RonFleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwatcher View Post
This has been reported a few times and my XC60 behaves the same way.

The problem seems to be related to DAB radio. If I start the car with FM radio the problem doesn't occur.
Interesting... Mine's always set to DAB.
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 12:56   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlp View Post
Hope this is in the right forum!

I,Ve had a 2018 XC90 for about a month now. Three or four times the Sensus has not come on properly - eventually coming on after maybe 5 minutes. The display in front of the driver between the dials also is blank while it’s “resetting” - this is how the salesman described what’s happening.

It’s booked in next week - any suggestions on what I should discuss / look out for at the dealer? And a general question - do all the safety systems work while it’s blank?

Cheers
Do you get the regular software updates for the firmware at every service? There are considerable improvements each year .. They will update the software as a first action ...
Old Apr 8th, 2021, 17:23   #9
RonFleet

The software was updated at the beginning of March. It rebooted twice while I was out in it earlier today. Must switch off DAB and give that a try.