Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squeak noise when stopping on incline

Views : 868

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 12th, 2021, 15:50   #1
Lolow2011

Default Squeak noise when stopping on incline

Hi, I put this up on swedespeed but I thought I’d also try here..

I have a loud embarrassing squeak noise when my car is stopped on an incline/decline, the brakes don’t seem to make any noise it’s just when the car comes to a final halt and again, just as I release the brakes. Also the brakes have given me no problems and the pads are fine according to garage.

The video is best I can do at the moment, if you turn volume all the way up u can hear it as I stop, and the again when I move off. I’d appreciate any ideas on what this could be? Thank you

https://youtu.be/F1SF3L8Xb9Q

Last edited by Lolow2011; Mar 12th, 2021 at 16:19.
Lolow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2021, 22:32   #2
MikeGMT
VOC Member

Only thing I can think of is could it be some rubber bush squeaking as the suspension compresses/uncompresses. Can you provoke it by bouncing each corner?
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 00:03   #3
Lolow2011

Yes I think it could bushings on swing bar perhaps.. I’ll do so bouncing tomorrow and check it out, hopefully some grease is all it need 🤞🏼
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 12:13   #4
Lolow2011

Ok bouncing doesn’t make the noise.

Here Is a better video of braking on very small incline. I’m going to contact the Volvo dealership but I would love an idea as to what it could be . Thank you

https://youtu.be/iqX9KFft7_U
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 16:29   #5
37 RUBY
Master Member

Are you getting it on the front and rear? The video certainly makes it seem as such.
37 RUBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13th, 2021, 16:32   #6
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Sounds like the brake back plate catching to me.
XC90 Inscription D5 Power pulse, 2017 MY, Savile grey, Blond Nappa, Leather dash/door tops, Walnut inlays, Dark tinted windows, Air suspension, Bliss/Cross traffic alert, Xenium/7 seat comfort/Family/Winter packs, 4 zone climate, Heated rear seats.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14th, 2021, 17:15   #7
Lolow2011

Thanks , Yes a few people have mentioned the backing plate, on swedespeed someone mention a TJ about brake noise/ trumpet sound, I can only find USA and Canada one but it has to be the same issue. At least now I can have some idea when I go to the dealership.
Old Apr 7th, 2021, 22:38   #8
Lolow2011

Just to update on this, the dealership said they couldn’t find anything wrong, and told me it was a “characteristic” of the T8, but I wasn’t so convinced, so they sent the video of the noise to Volvo.

Volvo have now advised to change the backing plates and brake pads to comfort pads?

I didn’t realise there were different brake pads. I’m waiting to bring the car back for service to get the brake work done.