Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

odd noise - possibly exhaust hanger

Views : 1182

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 19:01   #1
1981George

Default odd noise - possibly exhaust hanger

Hello,
I wonder if anyone can advise. A noise has developed on my car a 2003 XC70. It sounds like it's coming from the rear and sounds wheel bearing-ish in the cabin and comes on from about 45mph upwards.
However the noise started suddenly during a motorway drive whereas previous wheel bearing noises have developed slowly.
I've lifted the car and given each wheel a wobble and nothing seems obviously amiss.

I had a quick look under the car to see if I could see anything, I was worried about the drive train but from what I see all of that was ok.
I did see the exhaust mount/hanger was broken, as shown in the photo. I wondered if that might be the cause of the noise? I may be grasping at straws though. But it looks to be a relatively easy and cheap part to replace so I thought I'd try that first.

Does anyone know the part number for the bit I need? Do I need just the bit that has corroded? Or the entire thing including both rubber mounts?

Many thanks
George
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3583.jpg (135.3 KB, 57 views)

Last edited by 1981George; Apr 3rd, 2021 at 21:46.
1981George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 3rd, 2021, 22:16   #2
Ian21401
Premier Member

Yes. That is probably the cause of the noise.
That looks like it was welded to the exhaust pipe and is probably only available by replacing the exhaust pipe. However, there may be an aftermarket clamp style bracket of some sort that can be retro fitted to the pipe without disassembling anything.
If you are able to source something it may be sensible to also renew the rubbers.
Just a thought.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Apr 3rd, 2021 at 22:20. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 05:01   #3
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
Yes. That is probably the cause of the noise.
That looks like it was welded to the exhaust pipe and is probably only available by replacing the exhaust pipe. However, there may be an aftermarket clamp style bracket of some sort that can be retro fitted to the pipe without disassembling anything.
If you are able to source something it may be sensible to also renew the rubbers.
Just a thought.
Thanks, I think one of the legs is still welded to the exhaust. Since my first post I've found this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Gen...oAAOSwFs1cLyD9

Which looks like it would fit, from one of the comments the clamp part is offset from where the welded legs are. This one says it will fit a XC70 but I've seen other similar clamps that say they don't fit the AWD models, like this one:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-Exh...-/190411346406

So if anyone knows the part number for the one that will fit an XC70 D5 could they let me know? Of the two I've found on ebay, looking at the photos I think there may be a difference between the two of them.

Based on your recommendation I'll renew the rubbers as well. Initially I was hoping not to, but it's probably best to do it at the same time.
Cheers
George
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 11:39   #4
Ian21401
Premier Member

The critical thing is the diameter of the clamp relative to the diameter of the pipe. If they match, good, but if they don’t then it’s useless. The U clamp version may also be an option, if it is the correct size. The description lists it as 70mms. Unfortunately, the ones you linked do not give a size and appear to be oval.

Since 2005: 1992 Volvo 940 estate 2.0L. Manual. Daily driver and workhorse.

Last edited by Ian21401; Apr 4th, 2021 at 12:02. Reason: Add text.
Ian21401 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ian21401 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 4th, 2021, 14:31   #5
1981George

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian21401 View Post
The critical thing is the diameter of the clamp relative to the diameter of the pipe. If they match, good, but if they don’t then it’s useless. The U clamp version may also be an option, if it is the correct size. The description lists it as 70mms. Unfortunately, the ones you linked do not give a size and appear to be oval.
Thanks, I've ordered one now. The one I went for specifically lists my car so if it isn't right I'll send it back. When I put the part number in to google I get different sites selling it. Some say it will fit some that it won't. I'll have another look under the car but I'm fairly sure that section of pipe is oval.

I've found a few videos showing how to do the replacement, it's as simple as I thought although it would be a lot easier if I could get the car on a ramp.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1981George For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 17:52   #6
Kev0607
Premier Member

As the hangar looks like it was welded to the exhaust, it could have been welded again without buying new parts?

These hangars don't last very long I don't think. I've had two exhaust hangars repaired/fitted on my S80 in two years & my Dad had one done on his V70 too. Failure seems to be a common issue.

Last edited by Kev0607; Apr 5th, 2021 at 17:55.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 5th, 2021, 18:30   #7
Simmy
Premier Member

parts monster do clamp on exhaust hangers abt 12quid i have the same bracket on my v70 no need to replace rubbers unless they are perished they also do one that fits near the rear box check that one aswell
Simmy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Simmy For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 13:20   #8
1981George

Hello everyone, in case anyone is interested I've got an update.

I bought the Volvo bracket with the part number 30681626. It does fit an XC70.

It should have been a straightforward fit. Mine was a bit of a PITA because where the old arms had been welded on there was still a bit of the old weld left which prevented the clamp fitting in the correct location.

In the end I took it to a local garage who put it on a ramp and ground the old weld off to allow the clamp to fit.

I've driven the car since and the missing bracket wasn't the source of the noise unfortunately.

After fitting the bracket the garage had a look at the car, they thought the noise wasn't a wheel bearing or the differential as I had been dreading. Instead they think it's tyre noise. I'm due some new tyres so I'll get these fitted and see if that cures it.

I've realised I've put this thread in the wrong section. Is it possible to get it moved to the earlier XC70 section? I couldn't see how to contact a moderator.
Many thanks
George
Old May 11th, 2021, 17:20   #9
1981George

I've had the tyres changed and the noise is still there.
To me the noise is unbearable but my wife claims she can't hear it.

I think it gets a lot quieter when turning left but either is the same or louder when turning right.

I was thinking if possible I could put the car up on axle stands on each corner to get all 4 wheels off the ground and then run the engine to see if I can localise the noise.
Old May 12th, 2021, 16:53   #10
stuart bowes
trying to be helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
it could have been welded again without buying new parts
+1

just weld it back on

or pull the other end out of the rubber and just use some garden wire to fix it

-------------------------
mini project - link

Last edited by stuart bowes; May 12th, 2021 at 17:12.
stuart bowes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stuart bowes For This Useful Post: