Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Problems won't go away. What else could there be?

Views : 15795

Replies : 144

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 29th, 2022, 23:08   #141
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I was given to understand that Volvo had a protective guard to minimise the danger. It was some form of hard plastic and fitted behind the drive pulley but I don't know if it became a standard fitment or if it was just an option that a nervous owner could have fitted.
Old May 30th, 2022, 01:03   #142
venomtail

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferg55 View Post
I believe this is what happened to your car? So it's not surprising the damage you have seen in your head - the forces inside an engine are huge and when valves collide with pistons.
Yes, the alternator belt failed and part of it got stuck within the timing belt causing the engine to halt. Nothing made a part break then but clearly weakened the head till it cracked later down the line.

About the pistons and valves, is it true that there can't be more damage? Mechanic's said he does head replacements way too often for Volvo's, just wondering as he said the head along with arms needs replacing, plus checking that camshaft is all straight and well.

If the arms got smashed out of place isn't that a hit against the valves from the pistions? Then again, the compression readings came back as perfect as they could be so I guess the valves have to be working even as the engine is running and runs no more than 600~rpm.

Last edited by venomtail; May 30th, 2022 at 01:04. Reason: spelling
venomtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2022, 21:54   #143
ferg55

Quote:
Originally Posted by venomtail View Post
I guess the valves have to be working even as the engine is running and runs no more than 600~rpm.
There's working when the engine is stationary, and working at operating speed, two different things. I'm guessing you could have a scenario where the compression is fine for each cylinder at some point in its cycle, but that wouldn't necessarily be at the time it is needed, i.e. the timing isn't correct due to damage to the valve gear. I'd just accept the head at least is a write-off, although the rest of the engine should be fine if anecdotal evidence is anything to go by. But if the car had other issues prior to this you've got to ask yourself if it's worth getting it repaired.
ferg55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ferg55 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 16:26   #144
venomtail

Talking First 10'000 mile service since the rebuild

Hate to appear out of nowhere like the undead but I feel like I'm due a final update to my little saga of insanity to try and get my S80 repaired. We've got a bank holiday so I've got some spare time to write this up.

I've got the piece of paper for the things replaced somewhere, not on hand tho. I had the car repaired around August of 2022. Upfront bill was some £3333, soon after that the EGR valve also had to be replaced, a full transmission flush so add a bit more like. Car drives great. Sitting on the motorway I get some 50MPG which seems to be within expecation, did 0-60 in some 10~ seconds on **** tyres which seems to be also what I've seen on youtube other do. Engine's doing just fine at the moment. Wonderful I think.

Car sitting around idle for some 2 years in the open, next to a heavily polunating bush which makes everything stick on the car, grow algea due to the water it sucks up and then in the record breaking heatwave in direct sunlight did an incredible amount of damage. My wheels suffered the most, as the insides started flaking. Made the front windshield leaked as a factory error came up and many other very minor things that over the long term do add up. Still chasing these loose ends, slowly but surely.
If there is a takeaway, at least have the car under some shelters, protected from the rain, sun and pollen.

One of the main reasons for going ahead with the cars repairs was its sentimental value. There's a bit of spirit in it.
What I didn't expect was the mental strain it takes on you. I'm now hyper aware of anything my car does, the way it drives, changes gears, engine noise, smells and so on. Most of the time it's some other car making weird engine noises or a big diesel stink, thinking it's me before realising it's others but a bit unsettling. Handbrake, EGR valve and fuel pump failing have made me a bit paranoid, a horrible feeling when the engine cuts out while driving but then again, I'm unphased now. Already made friends with the AA breakdown guy, I'm one expensive breakdown insurance customer I guess

If you have the money but not the emotional endurance and don't want to, I woudn't recommend fixing a 17 year just for the mental doubts in plants in you. Then again, I still see many new cars on the side of motorways (mainly Vauxhalls, Range Rovers and BMW's) but I've made my bed so it is what it is.

For August, my mechanic's given me a list of things that he wants to do before the next MOT, little things. Exhaust rubber gromits, engine underside screws, runnig light LED's, bushings, new tyres and so on. That's fine. I'm expecting still some £1000-2000 spending spree right before my MOT to sort out the little things. 4 wheel refurb will be £250, 2 new tyres like £120 a pop, that's already £490. When they said Volvo's are expensive cars they weren't lying.

And recently had the oppurtunity to do a 0-60 to see how well I do.
[YOUTUBE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmu3B_UkW34[/YOUTUBE]

Thank you all, what a long thread, both in terms of pages but time that's passed as well. Hope this was fun to read to some of you as well. This doesn't end here of course, time to dive into the loose ends, so here's to me breaking the 200k mile barrier and many more miles of smiles in my S80 my project car I guess

TLDR: Bit the bullet, went ahead with the head repairs and things that have come up since I repaired the car in August, rough total of some £4000. Since the head repair, I've also replaced the EGR Valve, Fuel pump, resealed the windscreen and the repaired the handbrake. Still have a list of things to fix to get the my car back in ideal state, hopefully before my MOT due this August, currently I'm looking at £1-2k still that's needed, for new tyres, wheel refurbs and so on. Here's to 200k miles and more to go.

Last edited by venomtail; Apr 30th, 2023 at 16:30.
venomtail is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to venomtail For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 30th, 2023, 17:29   #145
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Glad to hear it (seems to be) behaving itself at last!

Many of the things you mentioned are things all high mileage (especially diseasel) cars need at some point or another so at least they should be "one-off expenses" certainly for a good few years at least.

Fingers crossed routine maintenance should keep it running for another 180k miles!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:

Tags
limp mode