Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

groans

Views : 1167

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 11th, 2006, 06:26   #1
lesk

Question groans

hi guys,
need some more advice please. My 94 850 glt auto groans like hell when I apply full lock. Is this the pump or the rack on the way out? Seems harder to get full lock when turning right. Also I noticed when I first brought her that the turning circle compared with my old 740 is rubbish, I realise that FWD cars have less of a turning cirle but is this normal?
thanks
les k
lesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 08:14   #2
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesk View Post
hi guys,
need some more advice please. My 94 850 glt auto groans like hell when I apply full lock. Is this the pump or the rack on the way out? Seems harder to get full lock when turning right. Also I noticed when I first brought her that the turning circle compared with my old 740 is rubbish, I realise that FWD cars have less of a turning cirle but is this normal?
thanks
les k
are there any visable leaks from your rack, this will indicate its condition....does the steering become heavier during normal turning??
cheers
jod
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:13   #3
arcturus
arcturus

Check your reservoir for fluid first.
arcturus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 09:45   #4
arbee
Yellow member

mine is incredibley noisey at times too, i'm thinking mine is the pump - seems to be a commonish problem - wonder what they cost new from volvo!
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 10:13   #5
powernut
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbee View Post
mine is incredibley noisey at times too, i'm thinking mine is the pump - seems to be a commonish problem - wonder what they cost new from volvo!
ive a mint complete volvo 850 pump had no leaks and the steering was great (just insnt need as i fitted the lump in my bug? i know some power steering pumps are slighly noisey when on full lock ,as the fluids forced back into the header tank on the pump but useall driveing driveing turning shud be fairly quite matey pm me if ur after it cheers
powernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 14:21   #6
lesk

Default groans

Quote:
Originally Posted by powernut View Post
ive a mint complete volvo 850 pump had no leaks and the steering was great (just insnt need as i fitted the lump in my bug? i know some power steering pumps are slighly noisey when on full lock ,as the fluids forced back into the header tank on the pump but useall driveing driveing turning shud be fairly quite matey pm me if ur after it cheers
thanks guys,
no leaks evident and no loss of fluid. Only noisy when parking etc. rest of time feels fine

les k
lesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 14:29   #7
Jod T5
Phoenix from the ashes

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesk View Post
thanks guys,
no leaks evident and no loss of fluid. Only noisy when parking etc. rest of time feels fine

les k
in which case i would be inclined to the pump....i would change the fluid and check the ability of the pump...
if however it is the rack you will need to drop the subframe and i highly recomend powernuts for parts....
cheers
jod
Old Aug 11th, 2006, 14:32   #8
Matt 850 GLT

Hi

Take off the cap on the reservoir and with the engine on, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock. If you get a lot of bubbles the system is drawing air in, and will need bleeding.

Hope this helps
Matt