Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Constantly Installing Software

Views : 4401

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 28th, 2018, 18:30   #1
BE13NNN

Question Constantly Installing Software

Hi all

I have a problem with the center console. It constantly says that its 'Installing software'.

When I go to the software download center, and the maps section, I see that an update for the North West Europe region is in progress. I presume this update was started due to it being my home location and it being set to 'Auto Update'. This update has been in progress for over a week now. On the notifications UI (the pull down from the top area) I repeatedly get an entry saying 'North West Europe has been installed'. The frequency that these items reappear seems to correlate with any change in internet connectivity status. By this I mean I get a repeat notification every time I start the car, manually connect to a hotspot, or turn off the car.

This unfinished installation mean that no other installations can be done. When I go to the software download center and choose 'Install' on any other item, It goes into a 'Queued' status and doesn't ever actually start.

I've included an image showing some of these screens.

How do you suggest I go about fixing this?
Attached Images
File Type: png A742E416-16EF-4127-9C8C-97A96BA4FF95.png (304.8 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by BE13NNN; Sep 28th, 2018 at 19:13. Reason: Broken image link
BE13NNN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 18:52   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BE13NNN View Post
Hi all

I have a problem with the center console. It constantly says that its 'Installing software'.

When I go to the software download center, and the maps section, I see that an update for the North West Europe region is in progress. I presume this update was started due to it being my home location and it being set to 'Auto Update'. This update has been in progress for over a week now. On the notifications UI (the pull down from the top area) I repeatedly get an entry saying 'North West Europe has been installed'. The frequency that these items reappear seems to correlate with any change in internet connectivity status. By this I mean I get a repeat notification every time I start the car, manually connect to a hotspot, or turn off the car.

This unfinished installation mean that no other installations can be done. When I go to the software download center and choose 'Install' on any other item, It goes into a 'Queued' status and doesn't ever actually start.

I've included an image showing some of these screens.

How do you suggest I go about fixing this?
http://share.icloud.com/photos/0qlnI...rBzJwOxc9AAIbA
The map is a huge 48gb file , it is going to take a long time and probably cost you in data too . Even at home it can take between 4 hours and 18 hours depending how busy your internet is .
The best thing is to go to the volvo support / maps web site and download it from there direct to a 64 Gb USB stick at home and then put it in the USB socket in the car , it will take about 50 minutes to load , if you stop the car it will restart from where it left off when you get going again .
All you can do this time is wait until it has finished .
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 19:17   #3
tem
Premier Member

I suggest that you disable “Auto Update”.
You will be notified when updates are available and you can then select them manually.

Maps?
If you just want to update North West Europe, then doing it manually will not use up much data, but if you want to update the whole of Europe, then, as Clan has suggested, download onto a usb stick, via a desktop or laptop.

tem.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 19:34   #4
BE13NNN

Its just the NWEurope region map I believe. Is there any way to see what it is installing and what % though it’s at?
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 19:46   #5
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Have you ran out of data, this will stop update and it will just keep doing what it is doing until data is there then resume.

Sensus usually will not allow the full map update as it is too large for over the air download and gives a message file is too large use usb.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 20:13   #6
BE13NNN

It suggests that the download and installation is complete. But the spinning icon is still there. Confusing right!? Any ideas what this means?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE7DF161-3D6C-4B78-86FC-1FA9187997CE.jpg (67.1 KB, 16 views)
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 20:19   #7
nu11eaf
Premier Member

Quote:
It suggests that the download and installation is complete. But the spinning icon is still there. Confusing right!? Any ideas what this means?
Have you got a wifi connection, it might be trying to finalise but getting no connection to carry on.
nu11eaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 20:23   #8
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Its just the NWEurope region map I believe. Is there any way to see what it is installing and what % though it’s at?
I now only update the whole of Europe, prior to setting off on a trip outside the U.K.

In between, I occasionally update NW Europe, manually OTA.
I have a 4g mifi connection installed and from memory, it does not take long to download.

Installing the update takes around an hour and I think that you are told that it is being updated, with no % reading. You can still use the sat nav, when this is updating.

I just recently updated the whole of Europe, after downloading the 46+GB file onto a USB stick and during the update in the car, there is a % update. The update took less than 50 minutes, but during this time, you cannot use the sat nav, the map display is frozen.

tem.
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 20:24   #9
BE13NNN

I’m sitting in on my drive now connected to WiFi to see if it helps. Been out here for a while now and doesn’t seem to be doing anything but if it does I’ll let you know
Old Sep 28th, 2018, 20:28   #10
tem
Premier Member

Quote:
Normally, to complete the update, you have to stop, switch the engine off and exit the car. My method on leaving the car, is to lock it, then unlock, start the car and a message should be displayed indicating that update is completed (Connot remember the exact wording).

tem.