Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just ordered new XC90 - can't wait

Views : 2040

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 5th, 2009, 22:54   #1
gottagetbiggergate
Gottagetbiggergate

Default Just ordered new XC90 - can't wait

Hello everyone, I'v been lurking on this site for a little while whilst I pondered purchasing an XC90. I'm a Volvo virgin but the family is getting bigger, 4yr old, 2yr old, and a new one expected in May. So I've just taken the plunge and we are now expecting our new arrival (car that is) middle Feb. It's a Saphire Black Active manual with std spec, except for Metallic, Front Park Assist, and I got that with £300 service deal and a boot cover for just under £22.8k. I think I could have got a little cheaper from a broker but I wanted to be local. I think the price is very good when you look at 2nd hand prices for same or new prices on more value for money family cars ie Ford S max etc. All of our friends (all moms and dads) are genuinely shocked to hear the sort of prices you can get new ones for.

I've driven one for an afternoon and I do have some questions which I hope you guys should be able to help me with

You do get used to that turning circle after a while don't you?
Can you easily turn off the ultra sonics and motion detectors on the alarm?
Do you feel 100% certain relying on the Parking Sensors or just use them as a guide?
Do the front parking sensors protect the front corner of the car as it swings in / out of tight spaces?
What does tow bar prepared mean? Are the mounting holes already drilled? Can you diy the tow bar fitting?
When does delivery date get firmed up? I will get it before April won't i when the road tax gos up?
I won't have to buy my wife an Xmas pressie now will I?

Apologies for so many questions and thanks in advance for any comments.

Now whilst I just sit back and wait I must start thinking about our front gate and widening it so we can get this beast in and out safely.
gottagetbiggergate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 07:17   #2
bignose

congrats on your new purchase...

mike...
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tanhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time like tears in rain. Time to die."
bignose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2009, 13:42   #3
gillberry
VOC Member

I can answer some of your questions but not all (had my xc90 3 mths now) ,
You do get used to the turning circle , Mines an se lux and there is a button to turn off the ultra sonics etc for when our dogs are in the car , The parking sensors are a great guide (only have rear ones) thought about front ones but you get used to the size even my other half has got used to it and as for your other q & a afraid i can't answer them but I can say they are a lovely comfortable car to drive .

1968 Amazon estate (Gracie).
2003 Vauxhall astra estate (her car)
2009 XC90 (Jo) .
Not forgetting 1967 Cheltenham Nyala (caravan)
gillberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8th, 2009, 22:17   #4
kwanho

Just ordered mine too. Can't wait.

First was looking at the basic D5 Active for £21k I think, must have auto box so another £1400,

must have leather interior, so another £3500 for SE,

must have xenons, so another £1400 up to the R-design,

also added privacy glass £350, metallic paint £600.

Now it's been submitted.

Just a bit worried about the stiffer suspension and lower profile tyres.
kwanho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 16:19   #5
lordlichfield

Congrats and welcome.

I find the (rear) parking sensors work fine. You just need to make sure that you reverse very slowly once you hear the continuous tone (if you choose to use that extra foot or so that they still allow for).

The turning circle is a bit of a bind but you get used to it.
lordlichfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 14:05   #6
potpot

Well, done...Like you I did the same thing 6 weeks ago for exactly the same price and have delivery on 4th Jan...I also took the £300 3 year servicing but now I wonder if I have wasted money??? We only do 10K miles per year and I think it is 18K service interval. I just read small print and think we will only get one service for this price. Can others comment if they think I am right so I can try to cancel this bit

Many thanks
potpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 12th, 2009, 19:03   #7
NewVolvo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by potpot View Post
Well, done...Like you I did the same thing 6 weeks ago for exactly the same price and have delivery on 4th Jan...I also took the £300 3 year servicing but now I wonder if I have wasted money??? We only do 10K miles per year and I think it is 18K service interval. I just read small print and think we will only get one service for this price. Can others comment if they think I am right so I can try to cancel this bit

Many thanks
Its either x000 miles per year OR 12 months service interval (whichever comes first).

£300 is a good deal on service. Have it on the XC60 as well as the S40.
1987 780 Bertone
Lots of previous Volvo's
NewVolvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 19th, 2009, 21:45   #8
burningoil

Default new xc90 active diesel due march 10

Hello, smilair to you. 4 year old and 2 year old and another baby due March 10. We have gone for metallic black with geartronic. Like you we checked the deal with broker, but ordered from a Volvo dealer. Going to get dealer to fit the re-movable towbar and front parking sensors. Not sure about the £300 inclusive service deal, my wife only does 8,000 miles p.a. We are getting car from garage 120 miles away but there is another volvo dealer 30 miles away, so maybe we would be cheaper just paying for the service when we need it? Have you considered the "polestar" performance upgrade 185BHP to 205 BHP. £750 which is not cheap, just that some of the magazines say the engine is a bit underpowered.
It was snowing here today and we were skidiing about in our current car so cannot wait for the new volvo.
burningoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 00:59   #9
bluesnappa

My third service on my XC90 is quoted at £285 so £300 for 3 sounds a bargain. I am about to change my D5 XC 90 Sport for an XC60 R design. Kids left home and the 205bhp on the XC60 sounds good! Only have rear sensors on XC90 and they work well and give you the confidence to back up close but do get out first time and see how far you are off when the tone becomes continuous so that you know for next time how much room you have. I keep forgetting to switch the sensors off when i leave the dogs and they work! So I am often rushing back to an alarm and flashing lights! Enjoy the 90 when you get it...ours has been great.
bluesnappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2009, 05:35   #10
GSMGuy
Master Member

Lovely spec - Welcome to the family - BUT, Why???? A Manual????

I really cannot understand the logic of ordering a manual car these days, I reckon in a few years that Auto will be Std, and manual a cost option!!

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote