Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "General Topics" > Trader's Offers & Discounts
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Trader's Offers & Discounts A forum for discussing special offers that are available to VOC or Forum members. Commercial organisations must first seek permission to post details of products.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Amsoil Products Discounts to VOC Members

Views : 22386

Replies : 47

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 1st, 2007, 20:22   #11
psbarham
corner abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
gsf are selling total quartz 5-40 full synthetic for around twenty quid for 5 litres at the moment which compared to some prices seems rather a good deal http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ no doubt some "expert" will be wheeled out shortly to rubbish it but the API spec seems more than adequate to me http://www.total.co.in/lub/lubroot.n...256EF3004DB954&

yeh go for it , run it for the service interval, then try amsoil and i can garentee you'll be going 'total who?'
my car is pretty renowned for the tickity tappity follower of doom, even with big brand synthetic oils in it the tapping would reapper after a few hundred miles , i'm now on 1500 miles with amsoil and not a peep, even after its been sat for 10 days.
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 20:40   #12
stevesR
VOC Member

Good god that stuffs dear is it really that good ?
stevesR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1st, 2007, 20:57   #13
psbarham
corner abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesR View Post
Good god that stuffs dear is it really that good ?
eer ......yes i know people who have ignored the 4k mile services and have run upto 16k on the same oil and its still within tolerences (don will supply a lab test kit for a small fee 20quid ish ) so on that basis it soon pays for its self, if you want some more evidence go over to www.clubvr4.com and search for amsoil
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 09:51   #14
Andy Bytheway

Default Amsoil ATF - My experience

Just a note to advise on my experience of Amsoil ATF.

Firstly Don at Performance Oils is fantastic - I ordered one day using Paypal and it arrived at 07:30 the next !!! brilliant - he also gave me a great discount as a VOC member, so don't expect to pay the price on the website.

In terms of value for money, that's a personal opinion really, all I will say is that I purchased 13litres of ATF and did the flush method myself which is very easy, for £50 less than the local independent Volvo garage to me were quoting to drain and replace with a "volvo equiv oil"? and it would appear from all sources on the internet that Amsoil is seen as top quality.

Anyhow - my experience was this - I have a 1993 850 GLT 2.5 20v auto which had done just 50k when I got it in Jan this year - I wrote to both of the previous owners who kindly replied by phone call and letter to advise on the history of the car - it was owned from new by a lady who simply used it to go shopping etc and covered 40k in it - after 10 years it was then part ex at a Volvo dealership and the mechanic who had serviced it from new, got it for his best friend who was looking for an 850 - this guy had a company van and therefore just used the 850 for weekend trips etc - he covered just 6k in it in 3 years - he then sold it to a chap who only had it 6 months before selling it to me with 50k on the clock - so to summarise it was mainly used for short journeys.

I got it in Jan 07 and have covered 7k so far - again mainly 7-8 mile short journeys to and from work, local shops etc. After a couple of months I felt the gear change was getting slightly "clunky" however having never driven an auto before I thought perhaps it was just me - anyhow after checking all the threads on here I decided to flush the ATF - I did this 1500 miles ago for the first time but stupidly looked for the cheapest Dex 111 oil I could find which was COMMA £40 for 10l - The old oil was black and horrible in comparison to the nice new red fluid -after the flush at first the gear changes were much smoother but after only 50 miles or so it began to what I would describe as "flare up" between changes, mainly on 2nd to 3rd - the gears also seemed to "drop" into the next gear rather than there being a smooth change. It was particularly noticeable on one road I use every day which is a short downhill with 4 sets of road humps - as I coasted up to the speed humps and let my foot off the accelerator - the car would "drop" into gear.

Throughout all this the gearbox did work perfectly ok - i.e all modes will work, Sport /Economy/Winter/ L / 3 and reverse, it would change into a low gear automatically when speed increased downhill etc and was still as smooth as silk on the odd motorway journey, it was just the short trips around town at low speed that presented the "rough" changes.

Having viewed the threads on here about AMSOIL and also some people's concerns about COMMA, I decided that £135 was not a lot to spend if it would make the gear change’s smooth again. Particularly as the car is fantastic in every respect - comfortable, reliable and with all the toys I need - I initially wanted an estate but could not turn this down for the price with such a low mileage - the boot is huge and the way that the rear seats fold and the front pass tilts back flat , I have never had a problem with awkward loads.

I have also read on here that the original Volvo ATF is synthetic and I am not certain but perhaps the COMMA stuff is mineral? no expert but may make a difference.

I changed the COMMA stuff for AMSOIL 300 miles ago - flushed 12l and kept
1l for topping up etc - the difference was immediate - smoother than ever before gear changes and the car seems to stay "locked up" driving uphill for far longer than before when it would drop into the lower gear. On my "test road" the one with the speed humps, I still feel a very slight "drop" into gear but nothing like before.

Anyway sorry for rambling on but I have found posts like this useful to me in the past and if anyone is baulking at the cost of AMSOIL, in my opinion so far it has saved my car, which for £135 I think is a bargain
Old Nov 14th, 2007, 10:27   #15
amsoil

Thumbs up

Thank you for your kind words about our service and delighted that the ATF is working well. It will continue to make your gearbox improve over the next 200 miles or so as it cleans the varnishes and remaining deposits inside the box. Another Amsoil convert I believe.
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17th, 2007, 00:02   #16
RoyMacDonald
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC View Post
Amsoil are pleased to offer a 10% discount to VOC Members.
1)They will pay the postage if the total including discounts comes to more than £100.
2)The price is the cost price as per their very good deal with ANC, members are welcome to collect from Oxford (jtn 7 M40) or Hounslow by Heathrow.
3) Amsoil are the Sole UK Importer and will beat anyone elses price on their products.
4) Amsoil can take your money electronically on the link below.
Here's the Link http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/

Some members have been using their products for some time but they have only had a web site up and running this year. They previously concentrated on supplying trade customers but will now supply club members and can take payment via pay pal etc etc. They honestly believe this stuff to be the very best (as do independant tests) they are not tied to Amsoil and also stock some Redline Torquo ZX1 etc products but Amsoil is thought as the best by some.
How do we get the discount and free postage? Do we email or does the discount happen automatically?

All the best.
Roy
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 13:42   #17
Andy Bytheway

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyMacDonald View Post
How do we get the discount and free postage? Do we email or does the discount happen automatically?

All the best.
Roy
I just sent an e-mail to Don via the performance oils website and quted my VOC membership no
Regards
Andy
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 14:08   #18
wacRon
voc 21479

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
gsf are selling total quartz 5-40 full synthetic for around twenty quid for 5 litres at the moment which compared to some prices seems rather a good deal http://www.gsfcarparts.com/ no doubt some "expert" will be wheeled out shortly to rubbish it but the API spec seems more than adequate to me http://www.total.co.in/lub/lubroot.n...256EF3004DB954&
hi chow,total quarts= total crap i did a oil change with this stuff & now my tappets greet me every morning when i start the car & it never did this before the oil change, i only changed the oil 400 miles ago & am gonig to change it already, it was a waste of money so now am going to order some of this good stuff
wacRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 14:46   #19
Sid60ish
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Look View Post
What's all this then? Amsoil? Never heard of it. Garages not using quality oil? You're joking? Why, exactly, should we be concerned enough to take our own oil to a Volvo garage at the next service? Spill the beans, I'm really worried now.
Simplest thing is to ask your Volvo dealer exactly what they will use in your car before you take it in. I'd be surprised if a full blown Volvo dealership was using anything second-rate.

As for Mobil etc "dumping" old-spec oil onto Costco etc, (earlier post by Amsoil), I think there is a need to look more closely at what Costco etc are selling. It seldom has U.K. labels on the packs, sometimes not even an English translation, (which may not be legal from an H&S standpoint), and is generally purchased bulk somewhere in the world..........Costco are a global buyer. We've bought Coca-Cola from them in cans printed in Arabic. Whatever, if it conforms to your car's requirements for viscosity and performance and your choice of semi- or full-synthetic - AND is a major brand - where is the problem. As far as I know, Amsoil are neither base-oil refiners nor additive producers, (but I'm happy to be corrected), so they are just blenders. At least Esso/Mobil, Castrol/BP, Shell and Total produce their own base-oils and, of course, sell them into the wholesale market. Think I'll stay with Esso/Mobil or Castrol.

The speed of dark must be much faster than the speed of light as no matter where the light goes, darkness is sat waiting for it........... (inspired by T Pratchett)
Sid60ish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 14:47   #20
amsoil

Like most things in life you generally get what you pay for. If something is really cheap then thats what it usually is. The maths are quite simple if you get the best which lasts longer, gives better protection MPG easier startups etc etc etc you will save money, just not initially.
amsoil is offline   Reply With Quote