Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Squealing

Views : 878

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2022, 21:50   #1
Roy Hedger

Default Squealing

Hi all,
I'm getting a squealing noise on start up from cold. It sounds like the aux belt slipping but the tensioner is brand new, as is the belt.
If I rev it, or as it warms up the noise stops.
Any ideas what it could be please. D2 engine.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 14:36   #2
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy Hedger View Post
Hi all,
I'm getting a squealing noise on start up from cold. It sounds like the aux belt slipping but the tensioner is brand new, as is the belt.
Alternator clutch pulley slipping maybe?

Is the aux belt properly aligned on the pulleys? Is the tensioner tight?
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 15:04   #3
Roy Hedger

As far as I can tell the belt is aligned, and tensioner tight.
It's just had a new Alternator but I guess the aircon pump will have a clutch aswell?
Do you know how I'd check if it was slipping?

Thanks,

Roy
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 20:02   #4
Tatsfield
Premier Member

I speak from experience on Peugeots, so if this doesn't apply to Volvos, I apologise. If the driving pulley is dual mass with a rubber layer between the pulley boss and the rim, it is possible for the rubber to deteriorate and become unbonded from either of the two metal components and when the engine bay is cold just after start up the rim or the boss slips on the rubber making a sound like tyres on a painted car park floor. The test is to draw a chalk line across the pulley when cold, run the engine to hear the screech and then inspect the line to see if any of the components has moved out of the original alignment. It was a common fault on the PSA V6 engine. Uninformed owners always blamed, the belt, the tensioners or any of the belt driven accessories, but it nearly always turned out to be the pulley.
Old Jan 11th, 2022, 20:35   #5
Roy Hedger

Hi Tatsfield.
Which pulley is it, the main pulley on the Crankshaft, or an auxiliary equipment pulley?

Cheers,

R
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 09:18   #6
Tatsfield
Premier Member

The main crankshaft pulley is usually the dual mass component to damp out vibration from the crankshaft. If Volvo don't do this, my suggestion is not valid. While in over 15 years experience of Peugeot engines this was a common fault, I do not have the experience to say that it is an actual fault on the D5 engine, just that it is a very familiar set of symptoms.
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 13:08   #7
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
As far as I can tell the belt is aligned, and tensioner tight.
It's just had a new Alternator but I guess the aircon pump will have a clutch aswell?
Do you know how I'd check if it was slipping?

Thanks,

Roy
Not sure about your car, but the D5’s have an auxiliary belt & and air con belt belt. One is for the air con (ac belt) & the other auxiliary belt is for the alternator, power steering & so forth.

During cold weather, its common for condensation to build up on the belts & that can create a slight squeak or “chirping” on start up (not extremely loud though). It doesn’t normally last long, maybe a minute or two whilst the car is idling. Its more or an annoyance than an issue as such.

There’s multiple pulleys to check. As far as you can tell, the belt seems to be aligned right. The smallest amount of play in a bearing can cause the belt to run slightly off & cause a squeak. Watch the video below & use the spray water technique.

Is it a genuine belt that was used? Some aftermarkets are known to squeak, even when new.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Last edited by Kev0607; Jan 12th, 2022 at 13:39.
Kev0607 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kev0607 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 12th, 2022, 14:05   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Hi all,
have you got a genuine volvo belt ?
Old Jan 13th, 2022, 04:13   #9
nemesisthewarlock
3.o

My S80 squeals when it's up to temp ... I mash my foot on the floor in 1st the V8 roars and the tyres squeal

Maybe if I tie a belt to my right foot to stop it going down so far?
nemesisthewarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20th, 2022, 17:47   #10
Roy Hedger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
Not sure about your car, but the D5’s have an auxiliary belt & and air con belt belt. One is for the air con (ac belt) & the other auxiliary belt is for the alternator, power steering & so forth.

During cold weather, its common for condensation to build up on the belts & that can create a slight squeak or “chirping” on start up (not extremely loud though). It doesn’t normally last long, maybe a minute or two whilst the car is idling. Its more or an annoyance than an issue as such.

There’s multiple pulleys to check. As far as you can tell, the belt seems to be aligned right. The smallest amount of play in a bearing can cause the belt to run slightly off & cause a squeak. Watch the video below & use the spray water technique.

Is it a genuine belt that was used? Some aftermarkets are known to squeak, even when new.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thanks for the link. I'll try this at the weekend.

It's not a genuine volvo belt, it's an aftermarket one.

Roy