Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1995 460 1.8i Water pump

Views : 687

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 9th, 2006, 14:01   #1
shane_blues

Default 1995 460 1.8i Water pump

Apperantly the water pump is leeking on my 95 460 1.8i, I wish to replaice it but whair is it and how much will a new one cost, also my car has devloped a huge thirst after a Volvo service and the fitting of a exust by a Indy garage i get about 410 miles to a tank befor the orange light starts blinking, and most of my miles are A road 3000RPM at 70MPH is this normal.
shane_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 18:54   #2
guitarcarfanatic

MPG sounds very reasonable. My old 1.7 N/A 480 would get about 400-450miles out of a full tank(the later, larger 60ltr tank).

With regard to the waterpump, they cost about £13+ VAT from www.buypartsby.co.uk

I fitted my own on my current 480 turbo and took about an hour, maybe an hour and a half. Is a pretty easy job and would be even easier on a non turbo 440(nice big engine bay!).

If your relatively confident and have a good socket set give it a go and just follow the haynes manual fro instructiosn. If you cant do it yourself, just phone a few garages. You should get a reasonable quote. Of course if you are anywhere near Somerset/Cardiff(home/university) I could swap it for you.

Hope this helps,

Rob
guitarcarfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2006, 18:58   #3
guitarcarfanatic

Oh and it's location is down underneath the cambelt cover. Just follow the alternator belt and it's teh second one up on a non air conditioned car. To get access, just jack up, take the drivers side wheel off and then remove the plastic arch protector. Then working from above remove alternator(you could just slacken but gives you lot's more space and take sabout 10 minutes to get off). May be a bit differerent on an air conditioned car.

Rob
Old Nov 15th, 2006, 16:05   #4
shane_blues

Thanks gentlemen,
The fuel thing is realy getting me, I know the car liked to drinking when I bought it but FFFFuuuuu****KKKKKK. 400 miles a tank, might try the higher RON fuel might get a few more miles out of the tank.

The strange thing is that I was told by the main dealer that my water pump was leeking, so to keep me going I picked up some antyfreeze and toped up the coolent tank it took about 75ml i have been looking at it for the last 3 days and it is still at the same leval, full, maby thair is an air lock I am missing which is preventing coolent flowing trug the engin, Me thinks it is time to buy a Haynes Bible.
shane_blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 13:53   #5
guitarcarfanatic

Maybe try jacking up the car and taking a look at the subframe under the waterpump (drivers side). If it is covered in browny deposits then the pump is most probably the culprit. My turbo has just started leaking from somewhere again. Got to try and track it down...

Yeh the higher octane fuel is great. I have always used it on all my 480's. Gives them a bit more poke too