Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Stone chip repairs?

Views : 1138

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:49   #1
Welton
Premier Member

Default Stone chip repairs?

Anyone used these 'smart' repairers?

I've got a couple of good chips I'd like repairing but if they're just going to 'dob' them in with a touch up then I can do that I suppose but can these places fill the chip properly and blend the colour? in other words a flawless repair?
2018 Infiniti Q30 1.6T Business Executive (what's this button do?)
Welton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 26th, 2009, 11:58   #2
PeakUnder
VOC Member

Cool

Well I had two very nasty scratches on each of the front corners of my colour coded bumpers, and I called out Chipsaway. Don't know if I got a particularly dedicated one, but what he did could only be described as a work of art - and I'll defy anyone to see the join.
Jeff.

THE ONLY WAY TO GO FWD IS RWD
PeakUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 08:25   #3
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeakUnder View Post
Well I had two very nasty scratches on each of the front corners of my colour coded bumpers, and I called out Chipsaway. Don't know if I got a particularly dedicated one, but what he did could only be described as a work of art - and I'll defy anyone to see the join.
Jeff.
Well given that Silver is the most difficult colour to match then that's very good.

I work next-door to a car body shop (insurance approved etc) and asked them to have a look as I get on quite well with the Boss and he adjusted my headlights for me in the Winter. They wanted to 'flat back' the laquer layer of the whole panel, fill the chip, colour, re-laquer etc etc. This would affect 4 panels and I was scared at having new laquer in case they make it look 'wobbly' after so I kinda made my excuses......
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 13:15   #4
Harvey1512
Premier Member

My wife very kindly put a 14cm x 2mm gouge down the side of my black metallic S40. A bloke at work is obsessed with polishing his car and he brought all his gear in to see what he could do, "I'll have a go before Chipsaway". I did not see how this could be fixed but he has done a fantastic job and in his own words he stated that Chipsaway will have better eqt than his so I would trust them.

Having seen what he did, basically wear down layers around the scratch, fill in the gap with many fine layers of spray paint (Halfords mix) and then endless polishing with a machine and various pads to blend it in, then I was amazed.

Best to leave the car, don't watch what they do, and then pick it up later when it is fixed. If an amateur can do the job he has done then the professional guys will be more than okay.
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 13:33   #5
Welton
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
My wife very kindly put a 14cm x 2mm gouge down the side of my black metallic S40
Aww, bless - they're good like that aren't they?

This is where they try to blame anyone else apart from themselves! the classic one being the 'turn around' where it was actually YOUR fault for asking her to go to whatever place in the car
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 15:00   #6
Harvey1512
Premier Member

She did it by pushing the lawn mower past the car going from the front to the back garden. The mower has a screw sticking out from the side. Apparently if I had not been too lazy to cut the grass instead of leaving it to her then the scratch would not have occurred.

Single men will scratch their heads at this, married men will be nodding in sympathy thinking, "been there".
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 15:16   #7
WoodyWP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey1512 View Post
She did it by pushing the lawn mower past the car going from the front to the back garden. The mower has a screw sticking out from the side. Apparently if I had not been too lazy to cut the grass instead of leaving it to her then the scratch would not have occurred.

Single men will scratch their heads at this, married men will be nodding in sympathy thinking, "been there".
Plenty of nodding around this office...... but most also pointed out the other line of 'well if you filed down/covered the screw then it would not have happend'.....just so they have got you if you think up one answer!
Old Aug 27th, 2009, 15:20   #8
Welton
Premier Member

Bugger Woody, you beat me too it. I was just typing the very same kinda thing!!

Tis true though, we blokes are responsible for EVERYTHING.
Old Aug 28th, 2009, 09:40   #9
Harvey1512
Premier Member

Blimey, Yorkshire mafia at work there. You don't both work in a H & S office do you? If you saw the size of the piece of metal that stuck out, ie. barely, and saw the amount of space available to miss the car then it should never have been an issue.

Should I have placed my car in a High Visibility Yellow jacket whilst it was parked on the driveway with a series of cones surrounding it to be extra careful. I suppose that was my fault as well for not doing this. "YES" went the cry. Fair enough, I'll take the stick for it.