Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Seriously?

Views : 841704

Replies : 6336

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 10th, 2022, 12:43   #2781
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
So, there was another flurry of bidding activity at the end and the auction made: £4,755.00

I hope I'm wrong but this smacks of being shill again: a bidder with a very low eBay score (9***9Feedback score (1)) steps in with half an hour to go and helps the price up from £3,250, then wins the auction. I suppose it is possible, but I have a feeling we may see the red 240 advertised again soon.

:-)
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...

I regret to report that I was exactly right, this was obvious shill bidding by another seller and this one has also had his fingers burned. A classified ad appeared this morn at £5,995:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195463659748

... it this wasn't so pathetic it would be amusing. It looks (to me) like genuine bidding at the auction topped out at about £3,000, but chumney thought he/she would add another £1,700 or so on with some shill bids and see if a sucker followed. Fortunately no one did and the seller looks foolish.

I find this obvious shill bidding really irritating - perhaps it is something about red motor cars?

:-(
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 12:58   #2782
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...

I regret to report that I was exactly right, this was obvious shill bidding by another seller and this one has also had his fingers burned. A classified ad appeared this morn at £5,995:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/195463659748

... it this wasn't so pathetic it would be amusing. It looks (to me) like genuine bidding at the auction topped out at about £3,000, but chumney thought he/she would add another £1,700 or so on with some shill bids and see if a sucker followed. Fortunately no one did and the seller looks foolish.

I find this obvious shill bidding really irritating - perhaps it is something about red motor cars?

:-(
It’s a bloody joke.

Why not just advertise: IDIOT WANTED.
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 13:09   #2783
Moomoo
VOC Member

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125606108...Bk9SR4y9upqMYQ

No mention of eleven years with no MOT.

But then again it is RED!🤔
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 13:33   #2784
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/125606108...Bk9SR4y9upqMYQ

No mention of eleven years with no MOT.

But then again it is RED!🤔
So, the seller hasn't mentioned it doesn't have a MoT, or that it hasn't had one since 2011 (which looks a bit dodgy: the corrosion issue was fixed in time for a re-test the same day):
24 August 2011 FAIL
Mileage 198,208 miles

Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Offside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Rear Brake pipe inadequately clipped (3.6.B.1)
Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
... chumney claims it has a full history, but doesn't mention the missing 11 years. It is a 200,000 mile, non-historic motor car that needs new sills and brakes... £600 anyone?

Last edited by Othen; Nov 10th, 2022 at 13:37.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 13:52   #2785
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
So, the seller hasn't mentioned it doesn't have a MoT, or that it hasn't had one since 2011 (which looks a bit dodgy: the corrosion issue was fixed in time for a re-test the same day):
24 August 2011 FAIL
Mileage 198,208 miles

Reason(s) for failure
Nearside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Offside Front position lamp(s) not working (1.1.A.3b)
Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded (2.4.A.3)
Nearside Rear Brake pipe inadequately clipped (3.6.B.1)
Nearside Front Windscreen wiper does not clear the windscreen effectively (8.2.2)
... chumney claims it has a full history, but doesn't mention the missing 11 years. It is a 200,000 mile, non-historic motor car that needs new sills and brakes... £600 anyone?
Watch out for some shill action from this dealer chaps, the bidding suddenly shot up from £1.40 to a grand in one bound - and is now at £1,140. That is not bad for just over an hour of bidding and is already at more than I think the motor car is worth.

My guess we will see this one get to something like £2,500 at the end of the auction, then reappear for sale again on Friday next week.

It must be a red car thing.

:-)
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 16:16   #2786
Rocinante
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BicycleBoy View Post
On a bit of tangent, on a completely unrelated car, I noticed from the website that my car, a 2011 V60, had exactly 60,000 miles drop off the odometer back in 2014 on its first MOT. Failed for a tyre bulge at 90,463 miles, then retested the same day with only 30,463 miles. I’m assuming this is just a typo. I have owned the car since 2015 and it’s now got nearly 130,000 miles on it.
Do I just assume it’s was a typo and carry on ?
Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Rocinante For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 16:18   #2787
Moomoo
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
On a bit of tangent, on a completely unrelated car, I noticed from the website that my car, a 2011 V60, had exactly 60,000 miles drop off the odometer back in 2014 on its first MOT. Failed for a tyre bulge at 90,463 miles, then retested the same day with only 30,463 miles. I’m assuming this is just a typo. I have owned the car since 2015 and it’s now got nearly 130,000 miles on it.
Yes! It’ll help you sleep!😁
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 19:06   #2788
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocinante View Post
If you've done 100k mile in the past 7 years then it's not a typo, if you've only done 40k miles in those 7 years then it's definitely a typo.

It's not unknown, i once saw a car "lose" 100k miles at an MoT test! Pure mistake on the testers part due to some dirt on the odometer, last seen it still had the dirt and was still reading 161k instead of 61k as recorded for the MoT so many things are possible from simple mistakes.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 10th, 2022, 21:49   #2789
Moomoo
VOC Member

£4755 for the red 240 at Northwich, and already resisted, according to eBay?🤪
Old Nov 11th, 2022, 05:32   #2790
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moomoo View Post
£4755 for the red 240 at Northwich, and already resisted, according to eBay?🤪