Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Losing power under load

Views : 3022

Replies : 27

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 27th, 2013, 11:28   #21
Computer Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kishor kassie View Post
Hi. Please do not open the timing gear as it's not the problem. Sounds like fuel 'starvage', perhaps bring it to me and I will sort it out as I have spares if needed. Only near the Dartford Toll. Ta, Kassie 078 2887 9494
OK, thanks for the info. Maybe I won't bother with the timing gears then. I have a new carburettor on the way, so hopefully it'll be OK once that's fitted. If not I might give you a shout

Incidentally, the Dartford toll is very near where I bought the car (Bexleyheath)!
Computer Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2013, 16:48   #22
Computer Jones

After replacing the fuel pump, I took the Volvo for a spin around the ring road. I managed to hit 60mph consistently! No surging whatsoever. Dead pleased. If I can just fix the stuck choke I'll have a perfectly functional car again

When I got back, the fuel filter was completely full; it usually only got about 1/3 full before. I should have known that meant that the pump wasn't working optimally.

I think I should check the fuel lines for air leaks; I know those can wear the pump down over time. Anyway, thank you all for your help.
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 20:37   #23
superspod

haha, identical problems to mine, they took apart the carb and found the diaphragm gone basically i've found everyone really helpful and this is my thread which is going on and the topic comes up from half way down page 4 http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=170722&page=4
good luck,
cameron
superspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30th, 2013, 22:50   #24
Computer Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by superspod View Post
haha, identical problems to mine, they took apart the carb and found the diaphragm gone basically i've found everyone really helpful and this is my thread which is going on and the topic comes up from half way down page 4 http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=170722&page=4
good luck,
cameron
Thanks, Cameron! Good luck with the electronic ignition if you get around to fitting it. My 123 is working out pretty well and it was pretty easy to set up once I figured out how to statically time it.

Just saw that you live in Stroud- amazing! I lived there for 6 years...

Max
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 16:28   #25
superspod

well i can say that it was in fact the diaphragm- simple easy task soon to be delivered back home- hope that it helps, i know you can get them pretty cheap from the old land rover suppliers, one thing i can say about stroud is that there are definitely plenty of garages so when it inevitably does break down it wont to be too far. i have also seen a few amazons around and wondering if you know if they are on the forum, or even if there is a local club?
cheers again and good luck,
cameron
superspod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31st, 2013, 22:59   #26
Computer Jones

My diaphragm was OK, but replaced it anyway; made no difference. Still, nice to have a spare. Carb is still problematic but I have a Mikuni HSR45 kit on the way

Not sure about local Amazons- haven't lived there in quite a while, don't think I ever spotted any.
The Following User Says Thank You to Computer Jones For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 21:38   #27
stigansven
I've Been Banned

Do the diaphragm it's a must, then put a Clear filter "before" the pump. If the pump is a AC just clean the filter if it's a Pierburg bin it because you will find that parts are hard to come by. You can still buy a QH pump NEW I have just bought one three days ago as a spare.
A TIP, place a speaker magnet on the bottom of your tank away from the outlet, in the middle trying not to foul the sender unit yet near enough to the sender inlet. I then drained mine and Hoovered up the crud in the middle. It took three atemps but it worked for me.
Stigansven
stigansven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 22:32   #28
Computer Jones

I was thinking a filter before the pump would be a good idea. I forget which sort of pump it was; neither AC nor Pierburg. I replaced it with a new one- 30 euro from Scandix...

good idea on the fuel tank cleaning, but I might be alright now.