Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Removal of Basic Balance & Fader Adjustments - AAOS System

Views : 3777

Replies : 44

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 8th, 2023, 10:26   #21
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post
This sneaky removal of basic expected audio adjustments by Volvo defies all logic as it’s just a matter of software coding changes rather than hardware changes needed to introduce it.

I went so far as to raise a case with The Motor Ombudsman, to investigate this on my behalf, as my progress with Volvo tech support hit a dead end with Volvo not giving a clear answer. In the end The Motor Ombudsman, could proceed no further as the case was not related to a warranty or safety issue with the car. They did however conclude the following from Volvo:

“As a manufacturer, Volvo Cars confirmed that the removal of these sound settings with the release of the Google based system was a design change, and that while it was previously available on our previous ‘SENSUS’ systems in earlier models, these settings are not available on the Model Year 2022 XC60 with Google Infotainment system.”

Based on this statement, I believe we will never see the Balance and Fader controls ever introduced to the AAOS system XC60s, as Volvo took a conscious decision to remove them, rather than it being a coding error. Apparently there have been other functions sneakily removed by Volvo on the AAOS system XC60s, that were there on the Sensus XC60s.

My advice is to beware of the “subject to change without notice” liability disclaimer and check every single function and feature in the car before purchasing.

I purchased just at the transition from Sensus to AAOS, so the salesperson was unaware of this planned removal of the Balance & Fader controls and the new sales literature also failed to state this removal.
For me that's no particular bad thing balance and fader are just about always set to mid position and then forgotten about , at least that is how it has been for me over the last 45 years.

However talking about things being removed without telling us is another thing...
My brother has a 2016 xc60 cc The last of the old model..
when he bought it I loaded some music albums onto the HDD in the car and all was fine. You just plugged the USB stick in and there was option to choose a folder and SAVE TO HDD...
Earlier this year I tried to add another album to the SENSUS system but the option to do so has disappeared !! Customer services are useless they wont find out for me what's going on. I can only assume one of the yearly software updates has removed the option for some legal reason?
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 20:10   #22
neilgorin

The AAOS system on my new car is better in many ways than the old Sensus, but removing features such as being able to switch between cruise and speed limiter on the steering wheel and no "bong" to warn of approaching speed cameras is severely backwards.

Also, no Android Auto but it has the Apple one, that's is also very poor given many apps aren't in the app store for the car - for example all the Bauer radio stations that need an app to play without adverts (Greatest Hits, Absolute, etc etc) - there's an app but it's a very old one and you can't sign into it!

All seems very limiting for no good reason as it's only a bit of coding after all.
Old Jun 11th, 2023, 22:10   #23
vonRypp

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilgorin View Post
The AAOS system on my new car is better in many ways than the old Sensus, but removing features such as being able to switch between cruise and speed limiter on the steering wheel and no "bong" to warn of approaching speed cameras is severely backwards.

Also, no Android Auto but it has the Apple one, that's is also very poor given many apps aren't in the app store for the car - for example all the Bauer radio stations that need an app to play without adverts (Greatest Hits, Absolute, etc etc) - there's an app but it's a very old one and you can't sign into it!

All seems very limiting for no good reason as it's only a bit of coding after all.
The cruise control switch on the steering wheel has been re-introduced by the latest AAOS update (2.9).
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 11:48   #24
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Speaking to XC60 users over on the US forums, we were able to confirm the audio systems effected by Volvo’s removal decision. (We just need to confirm if this conscious decision by Volvo to remove this most basic of functions has also impacted the Bowers and Wilkins system)

Balance & Fader.jpg
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 16:13   #25
vonRypp

Quote:
Speaking to XC60 users over on the US forums, we were able to confirm the audio systems effected by Volvo’s removal decision. (We just need to confirm if this conscious decision by Volvo to remove this most basic of functions has also impacted the Bowers and Wilkins system)

Attachment 148679
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have fader, balance, bass and treble settings for my B&W car.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 17:44   #26
LRS
Sugga Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonRypp View Post
I have no idea what you are talking about. I have fader, balance, bass and treble settings for my B&W car.
If you have the AAOS system in your V90, have the top specification ‘Bowers & Wilkins’ audio and have confirmed that you have Balance & Fader controls, then it’s only the ‘High Performance’ and the ‘Harman Kardon’ audio where Volvo has removed Balance & Fader.

Thanks for filling in the ‘tbc’ on my attached image.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 18:00   #27
vonRypp

Quote:
If you have the AAOS system in your V90, have the top specification ‘Bowers & Wilkins’ audio and have confirmed that you have Balance & Fader controls, then it’s only the ‘High Performance’ and the ‘Harman Kardon’ audio where Volvo has removed Balance & Fader.

Yes, it does have everything in the settings running AAOS 2.9.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 21:03   #28
S90
IT Guru

This is exactly why I no longer spend any time on this forum! You’re in a metal box, audio is not worth having faders and equalisers on, you could have discovered all of this before you bought the car but you didn’t. You bought a car with an entry level system, yet you claim £8k cars have it! Do those cars also have enough computing power to prevent an accident, no they don’t.

Good luck with any ombudsman, you’ll get laughed at!
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 21:17   #29
Familyman 90
The Brit Brick

Quote:
How can Volvo justify removing a basic audio adjustment from a premium £50K plus car model that used to be there under the previous Sensus system and then removed under the AAOS system
Why don't you just ask them? There will doubtless be a reason and it would be interesting to hear it. We don't know so pointless asking us really.
Old Jun 12th, 2023, 21:22   #30
S90
IT Guru

Quote:

B&W system doesn’t require an equaliser, in fact no decent audio system should have one, it’s not the 80’s.

The base audio in the Volvo, and the HK don’t need it because they don’t use any kind of digital signal processing.

You might want to spend some time researching other brands such as BMW and Mercedes, who’s base audio systems not only lack these functions but are also utterly crap!